Tom Brady Roughed Up Says Jerome Bogar

JESSEFEFFER

Tom Brady Gets Call--Say It Isn't So

Noteworthy to me is how important it was in the outcome, Jerome Bogar made the call and the technique used is perfect.  In order to avoid the landing on the QB with full body weight, defenders are taught to "gator roll."  Wrap the QB and roll so as to land to the side of the QB and not on top of him.  This rolling maneuver does result in a spiraling to the ground effect as a natural result of the rotation.  I guess Bogar wants the defender to rotate just enough so that the QB, or maybe just Brady, will land on top of the defender and thereby have a softer landing.

image.thumb.png.15feb5b2fc71b52149422f37f22881b2.png

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

QBs are the main stars of the game. Who wants to pay tickets and watch TV to see a team without its Josh, Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc.? 

With our JA17, I'm all for protecting QBs myself. They still get hit brutally from time to time. Ask Tua.

Sounds like WWE to me...   One set of rules for the stars another for everyone else.   If the NFL is strictly entertainment then say so and script the results.  There are multi-millions of dollars being wagered on NFL games and injuries are part of the odds calculation.   

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5

5 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

QBs are the main stars of the game. Who wants to pay tickets and watch TV to see a team without its Josh, Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, etc.? 

With our JA17, I'm all for protecting QBs myself. They still get hit brutally from time to time. Ask Tua.

There’s protecting the QB’s and then there’s not allowing them to be tackled. The latter is what happened yesterday and it was disgusting. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Tua was roughed up by the ground. There were no questionable hits on him in either our game or the next. You can't protect players - even Tom Brady - from hitting his head on the turf.

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

I miss the days when I didn't know the names of any of the NFL officials. 

Now you get a John Hussey or a Jerome Boger crew for the game and it's an immediate eye roll cuz you just know they're gonna mess something up big time. 

You are sadly mistaken about Hussey. He is one of the better, and more consistent officials today. He runs a top-notch crew and typically doesn't call many ticky-tack penalties.

I can't take issue with your criticism of Boger.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I love this explanation. “Unnecessarily throwing him to the ground.” If Boger didn’t want Tom thrown the ground, maybe he should have blown the whistle as soon as he was contacted? You can’t have it both ways. Can’t call a penalty on it and not have a quick whistle. 

I get that the QB is critical, and Brady gets more protection than anybody, but what are the rules?  

Can't hit low, can't hit high.  Can't land on them with weight.   Can't swing them around from the waist.   

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I get that the QB is critical, and Brady gets more protection than anybody, but what are the rules?  

Can't hit low, can't hit high.  Can't land on them with weight.   Can't swing them around from the waist.   

Rule is pretty simple: DON'T TOUCH TOMMY!!! That hit clearly violated it & was of the 15 yard variety. I don't understand the "controversy" here. Get with the program people!

(If a DE even dreams about hitting Tom, they better wake up & apologize)

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

At least this isn’t a Breece Hall thread. That’s illegal. 

This is a topic that discusses a current issue. It’s the complete opposite of what you did. This is not a 20 year old topic that leads with “Tom Brady is going to be really good in the future and we should have a topic that discusses everything about Tom Brady right here for all of eternity“.

Now go outside and touch some grass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

That call was the most clear example in a long history of calls designed to allow Brady a chance to win a game he'd otherwise lose. Year after year, we've seen games where Brady looks like he's about to lose, then a ref call plays deus ex machina and he gets another chance. It's clear that the NFL wants Brady in the playoffs & it affects the integrity of the league.

The only way to combat it, is to either beat him by more than 1 score, or hope he fails in his extra chances.

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Noteworthy to me is how important it was in the outcome, Jerome Bogar made the call and the technique used is perfect.  In order to avoid the landing on the QB with full body weight, defenders are taught to "gator roll."  Wrap the QB and roll so as to land to the side of the QB and not on top of him.  This rolling maneuver does result in a spiraling to the ground effect as a natural result of the rotation.  I guess Bogar wants the defender to rotate just enough so that the QB, or maybe just Brady, will land on top of the defender and thereby have a softer landing.

Dang. 

No, that should not be "roughing the passer".  Brady still had the ball, and the technique was perfect.

It's like Hamlin's hit on a sliding Pickett, Hamlin launched himself just as Pickett started to slide and turned in the air to hit him with his back and land alongside of him, not to land on him or hit his head.  Pickett in college embraced the "fake slide".  Yet Tomlin and Pickett are clearly hot that personal foul was not called.  And it could have been.

On the other hand, a sliding Josh Allen got kneed in the helmet by multiple Ravens last week as he slid, no call.  And Harbaugh was hot that Allen got a call for a hit after he threw, from a guy approaching him in a way that let him see the ball leave Allen's hand, and who could have veered to the side instead of wrapping Allen up and throwing him down, because he falsely said in a presser "did you see a hit to the head or neck because it has to be a hit to the head or neck to be roughing"  (C'mon John you know better)

What bothers me about the NFL isn't so much the calls per se but the inconsistency.

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

This call had nothing to do with Brady and everything to do with "make up call" for Tua situation.

Looked similar to tuas 2nd concuss, minus the presence of any force.

I Said to my buddies yesterday look for a sacrificial lamb to come out of the game on a weak hit, to show "how much the nfl cares about player safety"... sure enough Bridgewater got put down on the most everyday tackle I've ever seen.

Reminds me of the Southpark "We're Sorry" Oil Spill episode. This leagues infuriating.

Side note: you could tell broadcast crews were told to make it a talking point too. Forgot the play buy nantz made a comment about "they might want to check him out make sure he's ok" on a weak play.

Like they have to now make bad calls the other way now, to fix the product. It's easy, if someone's falling down concussed pull him out.... we don't need to pull out 3 players a week on hard clean hits wjere theyre fine!!!

Edited by BillsShredder83

1 hour ago, clayboy54 said:

Tua was roughed up by the ground. There were no questionable hits on him in either our game or the next. You can't protect players - even Tom Brady - from hitting his head on the turf.

That was my point. Even if you try to protect QBs - and the NFL has added tons of other rules to protect other players too - football remains a rough game and injuries will happen. Now, we don't want phantom calls for imaginary roughing the passer, but the general idea is good.

Just now, Jerome007 said:

That was my point. Even if you try to protect QBs - and the NFL has added tons of other rules to protect other players too - football remains a rough game and injuries will happen. Now, we don't want phantom calls for imaginary roughing the passer, but the general idea is good.

You can try to explain it and justify it in the broad context, Jerome, but you still made a bad call there 😜

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.