Hamlin Hit/ New leeway for fake slides

Buffalo Boy

3 hours ago, muppy said:

Did you see at the end of the game Hamlin have words with Tomlin? I would guess he was telling coach "hey Man that play on Pickett was not intended to hurt/injure him,  I am not a dirty player." Something like that.

Only complete a-holes like Burfict would have zero qualms being labeled a  cheap shots artist. I think most NFL players are Professional enough and saavy enough to realize getting that label is not a good look. What goes around comes around. The sport is violent enough when played legally much less with no qualms about being dirty.

Hamlin played at college ball at Pittsburgh, i bet he was just saying hello.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Picker is overrated af and a B word. His best outcome is a tier two QB. He won’t ever come close to JA17s level. 

To be fair - you can be a very, very good QB and still never come close to JA17s level. Josh is that good.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree and I would add that:

#3 - the hit was no where near the head or in a spearing motion - allowing the Refs some Leeway.

The only thing I was not sure I agreed with - was how the penalty was enforced.  The Refs called it unsportsmanlike conduct as part of the action - therefore moving it back 15 yards and not giving the Steelers the first down.  Which worked out for Buffalo.

I think the correct call as Hamlin hit Pickett as he slide and was down and then after the play was over the unsportsmanlike conduct occurred - it should have been a dead ball foul with Pittsburgh awarded the first down and then the 15 yard penalty making it 1st and 10 from the 29 rather than 3rd and 15 from the 29.

The outcome was better for Buffalo - just think based upon the play - the Refs did a poor job calling the foul on Pittsburgh.

He started to slide before the first down marker.  I thought the start of the slide is where the player is down, could be wrong though.

• Like (+1) 2

If that's Brady then Hamlin leaves the stadium in handcuffs...

I was shocked at the no call just because it seems automatic in those instances 

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think the refs made the right call and don’t see anything changing.  The NFL even addressed the potential fake slide this off-season. 

Hamlin started his motion before Picket started his slide.  

Fake slide should be unsportsmanlike 15 yards from the place of fake slide and loss of down

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

He started to slide before the first down marker.  I thought the start of the slide is where the player is down, could be wrong though.

It's supposed to be from where they first start their slide.  See Murray yesterday and sliding too early.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

But would he get it?

We have seen Josh get smacked in the pocket after throws and not get a flag so …..

Short answer: no.  He is more physical than most other QBs and is presumed to be able to take the hit more than, say, Brady or Mahomes.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Fake slide should be unsportsmanlike 15 yards from the place of fake slide and loss of down

This.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm still wondering what rules were broken here. Picket dod NOT fake a slide. That he did it once in college should be completely irrelevant to the application of the rule in the NFL and the play yesterday.

It seems very apparent Picketts began his slide at the same time Hamlin begins to go for the tackle, so no issue there.

Hamlin does NOT hit Pickett in the head area.  No penalty for that.

It was a HARD LEGAL HIT. 

Would I have been surprised to see a penalty here? No, given some of the calls we saw yesterday there's a distinct possibility a hit like this gets called. But it would have been an incorrect application of the rules, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.