Trade Deadline (Nov 1) Bills Rumors / Speculation

Warriorspikes51

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Last thing we need is Tommy Sweeney getting significant snaps in a big playoff game…

Ugh ... you just reminded me of the ingenious game plan against Houston in the playoffs that featured Duke Williams getting TEN ***** TARGETS.

25 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

So, we should post random, speculative trade scenarios because they have just as good a chance to be traded to the Bills than those reported by legitimate sources?  Cool.  I heard Panthers might move OT Ikem Ekwonu to for mid-round picks. Get it done, Beane. 

Ekwonu if I remember correctly also had very good guard potential coming out I wouldn't mind making a play for him.

16 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The NFL is becoming like MLB with all these rebuilding teams trading good players for draft picks. That's how you become the Cincinnati Reds, a team that is in a perpetual rebuild.

you mean trading away good players?   Yeah, “oh, there is next year and this prospect.”.  Prospects are that, prospects. Everyone says the draft is a crapshoot, FA can be one, but much less so.  SB window is now, lets do it.  . 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I think it makes sense. 

We tried to bring in Howard.  Didn’t work out.  Clearly the idea of two legit TE’s has been in the heads of Dorsey/McDermott/Beane. 

Hockenson has a low salary this year and then is under contract for roughly 9.5M next year.  

We can find the money to fit him next year.  It’s pretty easy to find where we pay Edmunds almost twice that and offer Poyer a short term deal.  We could simply not bring back one of them and then Hockenson is either extended or comes off the books as we potentially look to extend Gabe. 

I get the reasoning behind why it makes sense. But my question is if you think Hockenson is going to get the ball and be a difference maker then why isn’t Knox already getting the ball? TE almost seems like an afterthought in this offense. Which is why I don’t think we’d get the biggest return on the investment of trading for Hock.

Knox is clearly TE 1 in this offense and I’d rather see us get him going before adding another guy that’s going to need the ball too. 

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think it makes sense. 

We tried to bring in Howard.  Didn’t work out.  Clearly the idea of two legit TE’s has been in the heads of Dorsey/McDermott/Beane. 

Hockenson has a low salary this year and then is under contract for roughly 9.5M next year.  

We can find the money to fit him next year.  It’s pretty easy to find where we pay Edmunds almost twice that and offer Poyer a short term deal.  We could simply not bring back one of them and then Hockenson is either extended or comes off the books as we potentially look to extend Gabe. 

The Bills have 24 players with expiring contracts this offseason. $9.5M for Hockenson after paying $15M for Knox would be an absolute luxury spend. Borderline irresponsible. Adding on that we would give up cap space AND draft picks.

I understand the cap can be manipulated, but I would rather take a day two TE on draft day and put $9.5M into Davis, Poyer, Morse, Ike, Edmunds or Jackson, etc. 

Edited by Mango
Add on
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mango said:

The Bills have 24 players with expiring contracts this offseason. $9.5M for Hockenson after paying $15M for Knox would be an absolute luxury spend. Borderline irresponsible.

I understand the cap can be manipulated, but I would rather take a day two TE on draft day and put $9.5M into Davis, Poyer, Morse, Ike, Edmunds or Jackson, etc. 

Depends. Many people believe the Bills want to run a base 2 TE offense. I’ve seen the name Noah Fant also around Twitter.

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I get the reasoning behind why it makes sense. But my question is if you think Hockenson is going to get the ball and be a difference maker then why isn’t Knox already getting the ball? TE almost seems like an afterthought in this offense. Which is why I don’t think we’d get the biggest return on the investment of trading for Hock.

Knox is clearly TE 1 in this offense and I’d rather see us get him going before adding another guy that’s going to need the ball too. 

Hock is another legit threat pass catching TE.  Trying to defend against both on the field at the same time can create massive mismatches and be a nightmare for a defensive coord.  

Doubt it will happen, but we can always dream.

Edited by Billz4ever

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We barely use the TE we already have who’s shown he can be just as much of a weapon for us. 

Plus I don’t think Beane is going to make a move for another TE like Hockenson after he just paid Knox. 

we can get creative and line up up in the slot or out wide. Helps out our red zone. Knox isn’t the pass catcher this guy is.  He’s on the fifth year option so we can also trade him in the off season 

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Hock is another legit threat pass catching TE.  Trying to defend against both on the field at the same time can create massive mismatches and be a nightmare for a defensive coord.  

Doubt it will happen, but we can always dream.

I’d probably call Vegas about Foster Moreau before I called Detroit about Hockenson. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.