What's your all time favorite NFL play by play call?

Big Turk

Watching sporting events over the years obviously lead to some great play by play calls. 

So what are some of your favorite NFL calls?

I have a few from the Van Miller days, obviously the Comeback game has several, but in terms of regular TV play by play, the Sam Adams TD call against NE and Brady in the "Lawyer Milloy" 31-0 openimg day game is probably my all time favorite.

Just pretty much a perfect call and Dan Dierdorf is hilarious on it as the color guy.

So the Bills are up 14-0 early on in the game and the Patriots get the ball back.

Right before the snap Dierdorf says "This New England offense needs to get off it's butt and do something. Their defense had a 3 and out, reward them for it." 

Which ends up being hilarious because literally as soon as he is finished saying those words, his broadcast partner Verne Lundquist  yells out "Intercepted!" and all Dierdorf can do is laugh...

Dierdorf: "...reward them for it."

Lundquist: "Intercepted!"

Dierdorf: "Oh ho ho ho!!"

Lundquist: "Picked off right side!"

Dierdorf: "Ha ha ha!"

Lundquist: "Here goes...BIG!! SAM!! ADAMS!!"

Dierdorf: "Oh ho ho....OH NO!!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!"

Then after a long pause showing the crowd going crazy and Brady walking off the field dejected 

Dierdorf: "Can that be possible??'

Lundquist: "That's 360 pounds..."

Dierdorf (sarcastically): "Oh...Yeah right!! Ha ha ha!"

Lundquist: "Tilting the earth...suddenly rumbling downhill"

Dierdorf: "Sam will need oxygen for the next 15 minutes after that"

As the camera shows Bledsoe jokingly coming over and putting Adams arm around his shoulders and pretending to help him toward the bench...Adams is funny because he basically gives him a "man, get off me!" Move and pulls his arm away as in "I don't need any help!" haha...

Dierdorf later on the replay:

"There's the interception, the ball comes right to him...and folks...this is like a freighter coming into port!"

Then the replay pans to another angle and you see Schobel destroying Brady on a block...

Pretty much the perfect play and perfect call as a Bills fan against the most hated man in Buffalo...

https://youtu.be/1PPuGjTAxgg

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ian Eagle's call of the Dalton to Boyd TD pass against Baltimore to break our drought. 

Just a very memorable call given the significance (one team in, one team out) and unlikelihood of the play. Bonus points to everyone's favorite Dan Fouts correctly pointing out pre snap how Boyd was being single covered.

One of my favorite plays period, and it didn't even occur in a Bills game

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

Bill King's "Holy Roller" radio call is pretty high on my list as well... hilarious...

"The most zany, unbelievable, absolutely impossible dream of a play...

Madden is on the field. He wants to know if it's real. They said yes, get your big butt outta here!"

"The kick is up and it's good! There's no time left!

The Chargers are standing...looking at each other...looking at the sky!

They don't believe it! Nobody believes it! I don't know if the Raiders believe it! 

It's not real! This one will be relived...............FOREVER!"

And the funny thing is...even back almost 50 years ago...Chargers gonna Charger...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Watching sporting events over the years obviously lead to some great play by play calls. 

So what are some of your favorite NFL calls?

I have a few from the Van Miller days, obviously the Comeback game has several, but in terms of regular TV play by play, the Sam Adams TD call against NE and Brady in the "Lawyer Milloy" 31-0 openimg day game is probably my all time favorite.

Just pretty much a perfect call and Dan Dierdorf is hilarious on it as the color guy.

So the Bills are up 14-0 early on in the game and the Patriots get the ball back.

Right before the snap Dierdorf says "This New England offense needs to get off it's butt and do something. Their defense had a 3 and out, reward them for it." 

Which ends up being hilarious because literally as soon as he is finished saying those words, his broadcast partner Verne Lundquist  yells out "Intercepted!" and all Dierdorf can do is laugh...

Dierdorf: "...reward them for it."

Lundquist: "Intercepted!"

Dierdorf: "Oh ho ho ho!!"

Lundquist: "Picked off right side!"

Dierdorf: "Ha ha ha!"

Lundquist: "Here goes...BIG!! SAM!! ADAMS!!"

Dierdorf: "Oh ho ho....OH NO!!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!"

Then after a long pause showing the crowd going crazy and Brady walking off the field dejected 

Dierdorf: "Can that be possible??'

Lundquist: "That's 360 pounds..."

Dierdorf (sarcastically): "Oh...Yeah right!! Ha ha ha!"

Lundquist: "Tilting the earth...suddenly rumbling downhill"

Dierdorf: "Sam will need oxygen for the next 15 minutes after that"

As the camera shows Bledsoe jokingly coming over and putting Adams arm around his shoulders and pretending to help him toward the bench...Adams is funny because he basically gives him a "man, get off me!" Move and pulls his arm away as in "I don't need any help!" haha...

Dierdorf later on the replay:

"There's the interception, the ball comes right to him...and folks...this is like a freighter coming into port!"

Then the replay pans to another angle and you see Schobel destroying Brady on a block...

Pretty much the perfect play and perfect call as a Bills fan against the most hated man in Buffalo...

https://youtu.be/1PPuGjTAxgg

Great choice. Great call and great camera work.

I remember that game and also the week 17 drubbing that we took from the Patriots* by the exact same score very well.

Pretty much everything else from the ‘03 season is a blur.  Except the MNF game in Miami where Takeo Spikes kept telling everyone on our sideline “let’s turn it up to 110, baby!” and then late in the game the play-by-play guy was like “… and little did he know, 110 would be the Bills’ total offensive output tonight” 😄

55 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Ian Eagle's call of the Dalton to Boyd TD pass against Baltimore to break our drought. 

Just a very memorable call given the significance (one team in, one team out) and unlikelihood of the play. Bonus points to everyone's favorite Dan Fouts correctly pointing out pre snap how Boyd was being single covered.

This is what I came in here to post.

"Ravens trying to end it here . . . "

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

Earlier that day, in Miami ...

Edited by WhoTom
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Greatest Call of ALL TIME! 
Van Miller, week 12, 1981

https://youtu.be/6XJNNLuwNMw

I was at this game with my dad as a young pisser. We left our seats when NE kicked off, we heard a roar, Bills got it to midfield, so we went back into the concourse opening to seats. Guards wouldn't let us back to seats, but allowed us to stand there to see. Well the rest is history. We were there, just not in our seats Haha.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DefenseWins said:

though not exactly the same thing I will always remember this referee's explanation/call in a Bills-Jets game...

https://youtu.be/3LNJnHPUlaI

The infamous "Giving him the Business" penalty...

I remember watching that game growing up and cracking up as I was a teenager and thought it was hilarious

2 minutes ago, without a drought said:

I know I'm in the minority here,  but my reaction to the Dalton play was good for them, I'm glad the drought was over.  That was about it. All the high fives and yelling and almost tearful moments for some seemed somewhat foreign to me.

Not me, I was crying like a baby

• Like (+1) 2

Nothing by Murph.

No one can take the excitement out of a play like John Murphy. Just absolutely brutal.

I’m trying to remember … I think it was the incredible Hyde INT in the playoffs last season when Murph’s called sounded like “Deep pass downfield. Is it caught? No? I think it’s intercepted. Yes, intercepted by Micah Hyde in the endzone”

No emotion from insane plays like that.

Van would have been like “Deep pass downfield… oh but here comes Micah Hyde… INTERCEPTEDDDDD. Bills ball! Bills ball! What an incredible play. The Bills ***** it away from the Patriots! It’s fandemonium here in the stadium”.

Murphs play calls suck so much that it angers me. He is ruining radio calls during Josh Allen’s reign.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Nothing by Murph.

No one can take the excitement out of a play like John Murphy. Just absolutely brutal.

I’m trying to remember … I think it was the incredible Hyde INT in the playoffs last season when Murph’s called sounded like “Deep pass downfield. Is it caught? No? I think it’s intercepted. Yes, intercepted by Micah Hyde in the endzone”

Van would have been like “Deep pass downfield… oh but here comes Micah Hyde… INTERCEPTEDDDDD. Bills ball! Bills ball! What an incredible play. The Bills ***** it away from the Patriots! It’s fandemonium here in the stadium”.

Murphs play calls suck so much that it angers me. He is ruining radio calls during Josh Allen’s reign.

Just FYI - I didn’t curse here. The system turned sn-atch into ***** for some reason.

Edited by Einstein
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Nothing by Murph.

Just FYI - I didn’t curse here. The system turned sn-atch into ***** for some reason.

I'm not sure I agree with this...if anything Murph gets overly excited at times.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.