Chance encounters with current/former Bill players. Did it change your opinion of them?

Big Turk

On 10/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, PonyBoy said:

I was volunteering for a fight  cancer celebrity fund raiser. Mark Kelso was one of our celebrity bartenders. When he walked in, the girl I was working with didn't know him. She asked for the cover charge please. I told her no he's a Buffalo Bill, he's one of our celebrities. We all laughed, but you know what? He paid the cover charge anyway. Pretty cool moment. 

I served as one of the pastors at the church Mark attends. He is a genuinely great guy and still consider him a good friend.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Shane is a small-town kid from Frewsburg, NY. My great aunt and uncle lived there. Aunt Mary was a huge Bills fan and she was ecstatic when the Bills drafted Shane. I don't remember if she knew his family or not.

Isn't that one of those small town places where everyone knows everyone? Population is like 1,700 people.

Edited by Big Turk

On 10/6/2022 at 1:32 PM, Big Turk said:

I have not had any of these since I was a teenager but I went to Jim Kelly's football camp and talked to Jim a few times when I was there and he seemed like a pretty cool guy...the kind of guy you'd like to sit down and have a beer with and talk football(looking back on it, not then obviously, I was awe struck as it was during the SB years).  Also got a chance to meet and talk with Andre Reed, Mark Kelso, Warren Moon, an Marino and a few others I can't remember that Jim had at his camps over the 2 years I went.

Have a buddy who lives down the street from Jake Kumerow and said he sees him walking his dog a lot(not recently I am sure), but never really had any interaction with him.  

Always curious as to hear stories about any interactions with current or former Bill players that you had and what that was like.  I am NOT talking at places like training camp when they wouldn't sign an autograph or something like that...more interested in the stories you have when you have interacted with them "in the real world" away from the football field.  

What were they like and did your interaction change your opinion of them?  I know eating dinner at a restaurant is probably going to be a common one, not sure if that might be the best measuring stick for what they are like towards fans tho.

Kelly a couple of times at his annual charity volleyball tournament here in Buffalo. Very cool, took pictures with anyone that asked.

In 1988, some Bills players came to my high school in Rochester to play basketball against our faculty for charity (they did this for a couple of years apparently at different high schools). I can't remember every player who was there, but I do remember Andre, Cornelius, Talley, Tasker, Pete Metzellars, Nate Odoms, Jamie Mueller, and Mark Kelso. I remember being shocked that Tasker and Kelso could both dunk (didn't do it in the game, but they each dunked a couple in warmups).

My buddy and I got to be announcers for the game (we were seniors at the time). We were sitting at the top of the bleachers with microphones calling the game. When Cornelius scored a bucket, I announced, "A basket for Biscuit!" As Cornelius ran back up the court, he looked up at me with a very stern look and shook his finger back and forth at me (as if to say, "Don't call me Biscuit"). I quickly changed my call to, "I mean 2 points for Bennett." And he shook his head. I am guessing that he either never really liked the nickname Biscuit, or maybe only people he knew could call him that.

Anyhow, it was a lot of fun and the Bills players were all very cool and nice...even Cornelius (despite getting the death look from him during the game).

Also had some buddies who went to Fredonia when Bills camp was still there. They often saw the players in a rec room, playing pool, darts, etc. Again, this is like 1988-1990. And to a man, they all said Jim Kelly was a dick. But, that is what is so amazing about Jim. How he grew and matured into the great man that he is today. He was a cocky, arrogant kid at that time, being the star QB at Miami, Houston, and then Buffalo. But then with Marv, his team, his family, the Super Bowl losses, the birth, life, and death of his son Hunter, and then his battle with cancer he became a totally different person over the years: humble, caring, etc. Gotta love a good redemption story.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Isn't that one of those small town places where everyone knows everyone? Population is like 1,700 people.

I think most people there know each other. I wouldn't be surprised if my aunt and uncle knew the Conlan family, but I don't remember whether they said so.

Was at the Barrelhead Nite Club in West Seneca with 2 friends and met Shane Nelson and Jim Haslett at the bar.

They were out trolling like us.  We talked for a couple of beers until the band kicked off.

Talas was playing that night.  I went to ask a girl to dance, she was sitting with her girlfriends, and as she got up to dance, Shane

asked the hottest one at the table to dance and got shot down.  I felt pretty, pretty good.

Edit:  I just remembered it was #### Robin playing that night, not Talas.

Edited by ColoradoBills

After a game, in the parking lot of the Big Tree Inn, a friend and I talked for over a half hour to Kent Hull.  He spoke in a soft drawl, a southern gentleman through and through, and seemingly unaware that he was a famous football star.

In person, he was taller and thinner than he seemed on TV.  A beer can in his hand looked like it held 6 ounces.

Impressive, to say the least.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, RochesterLifer said:

This wasn't a chance meeting. But, I'll always remember Shane Conlan and his wife's "normal people" kindness.

During the 90s Super Bowl run, I worked in Rochester radio and interviewed Shane every week for the 92-93 season. Conlan would call me on Wednesday afternoons. We would do a 15 minute, recorded interview and it would be played on the coming Friday morning show.

One week, I accidentally erase the recording - total disaster. The show was sponsored - that meant $$s. I frantically called Shane's agent, who (in friendly fashion) gave me Shane's home number, but cautioned, "You can't make a 23-year-old millionaire do what he doesn't want to do". One of my favorites quotes ever.

Then, I called the Conlan home. His wife answered. I began with an apology for disrupting her day and explained myself. She warmly responded, "Oh, Hi Dave! (we had never met before) How are you today? We're sitting down for dinner in about 30 minutes. So, you picked a great time." She then turned away from the phone, said, "Shane, it's for you."

Shane got on the call and I again apologized, explaining the situation. He laughed and said, "Sounds like you fumbled." I laughed and responded, "In my world, this is a massive turnover." He then said, "Are you ready to start recording? Good, let's do this". All was saved.

The Conlans were just a very nice next-door-neighbor type family, where the husband happened to work in the NFL. 

Later in the year, after the Houston comeback, Shane's wife came on the call for that week's interview to describe the scene of all the fans trying to get back into the stadium. We laughed and celebrated through the whole call.

I look back on those days and feel very fortunate to have been able enjoy them the way I did.

Go Bills

that’s awesome…do you still have the audio saved?

On 10/9/2022 at 7:05 PM, JohnNord said:

that’s awesome…do you still have the audio saved?

Unfortunately no. That was many years (decades!) and lives ago. As good a guy as Shane is, he wasn’t very entertaining. And, as my career change might indicate, I was not a very dynamic interviewer. Silly me, at a rock station, I just wanted to talk football. 😉 

1 hour ago, RochesterLifer said:

Unfortunately no. That was many years (decades!) and lives ago. As good a guy as Shane is, he wasn’t very entertaining. And, as my career change might indicate, I was not a very dynamic interviewer. Silly me, at a rock station, I just wanted to talk football. 😉 

Oh well.. it gave you cool stories like this one!  I always wonder what happened to the media content during the Super Bowl years.  

My guess is that because it had to be stored on physical cassettes or tapes a fair amount was just recorded over?

I would love for local TV and radio stations to release whatever footage they still have for old-time Bills fans like us.  

From 1988 through 1991, I was a field engineer and then producer at WGR 55 / 97 Rock. For most of that run, I would set up and monitor the remote transmission for a number of Bills shows. Weekly, I would go to Jim's house on Mondays and, if I recall correctly, Thursdays. He didn't engage with me, so no fun stories there.

I would do the same in the evenings for the Marv Levy and Bill Polian shows. Marv was polite, but incredibly busy. Polian was very cool and would answer the couple questions I might have for him in talking before / after the show. Both Marv and Polian were very clearly high-wattage intellects.

Randomly saw Bruce Smith at the movies. The height and mass were incredible.

Was on a plane a few years ago and by weird coincidence, I had watched recently the 1990 Divisional round game vs the Browns. Still one of the all-time great games. I noticed Thurm a few rows behind and said hi and mentioned the above. He didn't have much of anything to say. Felt a bit like a stooge, but whatever. Everyone wants to connect with these guys, so it didn't bother me.

Conrad Dobler lived up the street, on Elmwood Ave, in East Aurora. Around the neighborhood, he was seen as a cool / badass Dad.

Played golf with Dan Kelly during the Super Bowl years. Was trying to win some business from Jim. Dan was fun to hang with. Didn't win the account.

On 10/6/2022 at 1:32 PM, Big Turk said:

I have not had any of these since I was a teenager but I went to Jim Kelly's football camp and talked to Jim a few times when I was there and he seemed like a pretty cool guy...the kind of guy you'd like to sit down and have a beer with and talk football(looking back on it, not then obviously, I was awe struck as it was during the SB years).  Also got a chance to meet and talk with Andre Reed, Mark Kelso, Warren Moon, an Marino and a few others I can't remember that Jim had at his camps over the 2 years I went.

Have a buddy who lives down the street from Jake Kumerow and said he sees him walking his dog a lot(not recently I am sure), but never really had any interaction with him.  

Always curious as to hear stories about any interactions with current or former Bill players that you had and what that was like.  I am NOT talking at places like training camp when they wouldn't sign an autograph or something like that...more interested in the stories you have when you have interacted with them "in the real world" away from the football field.  

What were they like and did your interaction change your opinion of them?  I know eating dinner at a restaurant is probably going to be a common one, not sure if that might be the best measuring stick for what they are like towards fans tho.

last week a friend of mine say mr wide right and talked to him.

my mom shared a story….early in Kelly career pre SB years, he and his posies went  into a place where she worked. H cam off to her with a stick somewhere.

i talked to Bruce for a few minutes once at one of the local night clubs. They occasionally went out to some clubs.  Ne night they had Bruce, Reed, and Kelly there.

i r had more interactions with Sabres.

the first Sabres trainer lived a few houses down from where I grew up.  I happened to see Scotty bowman and his kids at a random off season day when he and his family came over late in the trainers career.

at the old Sabres practice facility near NCCC I was with a group that rented a rink for an hr a week. Right before our ice Sabres alumni had their weekly skate.  I saw many of the Sabres from the 70s years.  One time in off-season a friend of mine played goalie for the current Sabre players. One of them was Rob ray.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.