Chance encounters with current/former Bill players. Did it change your opinion of them?

Big Turk

19 hours ago, 145B4IDIE said:

JK used to hold his football camp at St. Bonaventure in early 90s. Someone was looking for one of those giant photo-op checks they use for donations. I made that and JK came in the place I worked to pick it up and signed it. Was returned after the whole photo op but have no idea what happened to it. Players after camp would hit local bars and have drinks. And yes, Andre Reed was unapproachable with his ‘people’ around him.

When the bar closed (good friend with owner) we had a little after-hours and Kent Hull and Will Wolford hung out and helped hammer plaster off a brick wall we were revealing😀 super nice, real people, just hanging out having a good time!

also met House Ballard, Don Beebe and Brad Lamb at a charity basketball game at local high school, signed a jacket.

this is the wall

7C80D255-85D7-4B0A-A458-A9A7DE7997C8.jpeg

The Hickey! and TB playin the blues! small world

51 minutes ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

My buddies and I went to the Eagles at Bills game in the mid 2000's (I think) Eagles won on a big run for a TD at the end of the game.  Since we're out of town we all stayed at the Days Inn in Hamburg.  The place with the bowling alley.  Forgive me, not a local.  We were in the bar and some of us were bowling.  Takeo Spikes walked in with his buddies.  Super cool guy!!  He signed my buddies Takeo Jersey he had on, got a group picture with us and chatted for a few minutes.  I was just staring at his neck!  haha.   Met Lee Evans in Hammers lot.  Flutie signed my hat at camp one year along with Wiley who was much more talkative that Doug.   

I remember that place, it's been torn down for a while now.  If I remember, the roof collapsed on the bowling alley side.  It was just a matter of time before they tore the whole thing down.  

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I remember that place, it's been torn down for a while now.  If I remember, the roof collapsed on the bowling alley side.  It was just a matter of time before they tore the whole thing down.  

YES!  It was a snow storm that collapsed the roof.  That place was awesome!  Hotel, Nice Bar, Bowling Alley, Good Bar food too!  It was perfect for an out of towner to go to games.  

Just now, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

YES!  It was a snow storm that collapsed the roof.  That place was awesome!  Hotel, Nice Bar, Bowling Alley, Good Bar food too!  It was perfect for an out of towner to go to games.  

One of the early years of TDBAHOT, we had thought of doing a bowling tournament there, but one poster started taking it way too seriously, so we scrapped that plan.  

Paul Maguire in 1970 in Vietnam. Some NFL players were visiting the troops. First thing he did when he came in was yell out anybody here from Buffalo? He bought me a beer in the NCO club and asked for my moms phone number and called her when he got back to Buffalo to tell her he met me. She really got a charge out of talking to him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/6/2022 at 6:50 PM, JohnNord said:

Yes, I’ve met several at event, training camp at Fisher, and autograph shows but also a few random public encounters.  

Back in the day I ran into Gabe Northern at Eastern Hills Mall.  He was freaking huge and stood out like a sore thumb.  He also had a pretty nice looking leather jacket.  I immediately recognized him and he chatted for a few minutes.   Very cool guy that didn’t seem to be bothered that he was recognized.

I also got to talk to Dick Jauron at a special Training Camp VIP reception  at Fisher.  I was not happy with him as coach at the time but he couldn’t have been a nicer and more personable guy.  After leaving the event that day I remember feeling pretty good about the direction of the Bills….little did I know!  

I make fun of Jauron the coach a lot but I'm not surprised he was a nice guy, always seemed that way. He was always very good at complimenting whatever team had just humiliated us on the field

On 10/6/2022 at 7:25 PM, aristocrat said:

Ran into Jp in New Orleans during St Patty's day. Bought a buddy of mine and I a beer and shot. Super nice guy. 

These stories make me happy. I always liked JP and thought he was a great guy despite some of the stories about him being arrogant. Pity he never made it as a player

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

These stories make me happy. I always liked JP and thought he was a great guy despite some of the stories about him being arrogant. Pity he never made it as a player

my college roommate (Charlie Coiner) coached with the Bills during the Jauron era.  He introduced me and my family to JP Losman in the team hotel.  Also Alex Van Pelt.  Both super nice.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Bills certainly had some personalities back then that I don't want to say were a little "rough around the edges" in terms of dealing with fans, but I guess that's the way I would describe it...

I can't remember hearing anything like that with the current Bills players regarding fans but I am sure there must be some out there...everyone has bad days and days when they don't want to be bothered or have other things they are dealing with that make them not so nice.

I do agree about the current Bills team.  But 

I think part of the reason for the difference is that 30 years ago there was noaccountability and players could be jerks in public.  In 2022, with social media/internet/cameras everywhere you can’t get away with what you used to.  Plus our society is way more litigious.   

Because of pressure from social media, players are at risk of losing sponsorships and other financial deals.

The NFL and player agents have been much more proactive in training players how to cultivate a positive public persona.  So in many cases players have been trained with how to handle themselves in public situations that won’t bring them bad press. 

• Agree 1

Was on a flight with Jim Kelly about 10 years or so ago.  I didn't bother him on the flight but had my bills hat on and was determined to try and get his autograph when we got off the flight. 

Right as I'm walking up to him some guy said "Jim sign my hat".  JK said okay and the douche bag handed him a giants hat. 

He didn't sign it, but was still kind enough to sign mine

This wasn't a chance meeting. But, I'll always remember Shane Conlan and his wife's "normal people" kindness.

During the 90s Super Bowl run, I worked in Rochester radio and interviewed Shane every week for the 92-93 season. Conlan would call me on Wednesday afternoons. We would do a 15 minute, recorded interview and it would be played on the coming Friday morning show.

One week, I accidentally erase the recording - total disaster. The show was sponsored - that meant $$s. I frantically called Shane's agent, who (in friendly fashion) gave me Shane's home number, but cautioned, "You can't make a 23-year-old millionaire do what he doesn't want to do". One of my favorites quotes ever.

Then, I called the Conlan home. His wife answered. I began with an apology for disrupting her day and explained myself. She warmly responded, "Oh, Hi Dave! (we had never met before) How are you today? We're sitting down for dinner in about 30 minutes. So, you picked a great time." She then turned away from the phone, said, "Shane, it's for you."

Shane got on the call and I again apologized, explaining the situation. He laughed and said, "Sounds like you fumbled." I laughed and responded, "In my world, this is a massive turnover." He then said, "Are you ready to start recording? Good, let's do this". All was saved.

The Conlans were just a very nice next-door-neighbor type family, where the husband happened to work in the NFL. 

Later in the year, after the Houston comeback, Shane's wife came on the call for that week's interview to describe the scene of all the fans trying to get back into the stadium. We laughed and celebrated through the whole call.

I look back on those days and feel very fortunate to have been able enjoy them the way I did.

Go Bills

• Awesome! (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

The Conlans were just a very nice next-door-neighbor type family, where the husband happened to work in the NFL. 

Shane is a small-town kid from Frewsburg, NY. My great aunt and uncle lived there. Aunt Mary was a huge Bills fan and she was ecstatic when the Bills drafted Shane. I don't remember if she knew his family or not.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RochesterLifer said:

Later in the year, after the Houston comeback, Shane's wife came on the call for that week's interview to describe the scene of all the fans trying to get back into the stadium. We laughed and celebrated through the whole call.

I've always heard people describe it but have never seen pictures or video.  

Edited by Just Jack

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.