Chance encounters with current/former Bill players. Did it change your opinion of them?

Big Turk

20 hours ago, jayg said:

Jim Kelly in Richmond,  VA in 1991.  Let's just say he wasn't very nice and I'll leave it that.

I heard back when he played he was a prick. As was most Bills players back then. That's the difference with our players now. They legitimately seem like they like to mingle with fans

3 hours ago, SoMAn said:

A lot of professional athletes have been "big man on campus" since they were teens.

Some can keep their head on straight, and others let their egos get in the way of their humanity. 

Kelly was probably a typical arrogant a-hole, but life events like losing a child, almost losing a wife during a rocky period, being a good example to his young daughters, and fighting the Big C can humble a soul.

I suspect Kelly became more spiritual and gained a lot of perspective about his place in the universe following his playing days.

Josh doesn't seem to suffer the same "big head" syndrome, or if he does, he disguises it acts gracious and grateful with fawning fans.

Von Miller said Josh is "The Will Ferrell of QB's" because he is always the same no matter what is happening or what the situation is in the game...basically said he is a jokester that is always laughing and having fun, but he also is super competitive within that...said it is refreshing after being around so many QBs who are serious all the time.

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

I heard back when he played he was a prick. As was most Bills players back then. That's the difference with our players now. They legitimately seem like they like to mingle with fans

It's probably part of the process.  

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Von Miller said Josh is "The Will Ferrell of QB's" because he is always the same no matter what is happening or what the situation is in the game...basically said he is a jokester that is always laughing and having fun, but he also is super competitive within that...said it is refreshing after being around so many QBs who are serious all the time.

It reminds me a bit of Brett Favre. He was relaxed and having fun.

As a team leader, I think that attitude is contagious. Be smart, be competative, work hard to win, but have fun also.  It IS a game.

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Nope, was chatting it up with Bruce while waiting for coffees last week 

He couldn’t be cooler 

My friend and I are both in our 30's now but when my friend was 10 back in 95, he went to his first ever Bills game against the Colts. He was close to the field on the tunnel side and was looking to get a couple players autographs after the game. Bruce was one of the players and Bruce stopped and made a snide remark to him and then continued walking into the tunnel. Phil Hanson who was holding his baby, stopped, put his baby down for a sec and gave my friend an autograph. My friend had nothing good to say about Bruce for a while after that. He still has a signed football by Hanson

Edited by Buffalo03

11 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

My friend and I are both in our 30's now but when my friend was 10 back in 95, he went to his first ever Bills game against the Colts. He was close to the field on the tunnel side and was looking to get a couple players autographs after the game. Bruce was one of the players and Bruce stopped and made a snide remark to him and then continued walking into the tunnel. Phil Hanson who was holding his baby, stopped, put his baby down for a sec and gave my friend an autograph. My friend had nothing good to say about Bruce for a while after that. He still has a signed football by Hanson

Bills certainly had some personalities back then that I don't want to say were a little "rough around the edges" in terms of dealing with fans, but I guess that's the way I would describe it...

I can't remember hearing anything like that with the current Bills players regarding fans but I am sure there must be some out there...everyone has bad days and days when they don't want to be bothered or have other things they are dealing with that make them not so nice.

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Bills certainly had some personalities back then that I don't want to say were a little "rough around the edges" in terms of dealing with fans, but I guess that's the way I would describe it...

I can't remember hearing anything like that with the current Bills players regarding fans but I am sure there must be some out there...everyone has bad days and days when they don't want to be bothered or have other things they are dealing with that make them not so nice.

A lot of the players back then were like that almost all the time though. I have heard that they are better with fans now and more humble but they were pricks back then

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Agree 1

I was a little kid and barely remember going to an autograph signing at a Hills dept store in Cheektowaga and saw Frank Lewis there.  The few minutes I was in line I remember he didn't just sign autographs but talked to people and smiled and joked around.  Again, I was very young but I do remember he seemed really nice.

On the Jim Kelly comments, I never had a chance to meet him 'up close' but I have heard stories that he was kinda 'a jerk', one stands out coming from my cousin who is a huge Bills fan and actually has run into him a few times.  Again, this was years ago and didn't happen to me directly, but it seems to be similar to the negative stories about Kelly in his playing days.

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I wish we had access to that still, I dont remember to be honest. But who could forget that gem!

McAddict was a great poster, hilarious.

I recall threads about his alleged gambling on Bills games and he was using the mortgage and the kids tuition money.  Legitimately concerned people were begging him to stop and seek help.  I dislike almost all "trolls", people that take advantage of other people naivete or good nature but he was so creative I relished them.

• Like (+1) 1

I ran into Jim Kelly twice, both times could not have been nicer.  Once was in New Orleans at a Super Bowl, he wife was there, didnt look to happy.  The other time was at a Texan's tailgate, the game where EJ Manuel though an 80 yards pick 6 to JJ Watt.  Jim asked if my son wanted a picture and he patiently waited, if I can find it I will post it.

Meet a bunch of Bills at the San Antonio Marriot before their Saints game.  One gut that stood out was JP Losman, super nice guy before the game.

As a kid I used to to go to Mass at Nativity of our Lord, somehow I would sneak out and walk around town.  Once I walked right by Lou Saban as he was leaving, it was game day I said to him good luck and he forcefully said thank you young man.  Always have that memory of both Lou Saban and I leaving mass early.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

Ralph Wilson - quick witted, punchy

Marv Levy - kind

Jim Kelly - dismissive

Andre Reed - dismissive

Bruce Smith - kind enough

Ruben Brown - great, he was a rookie

Buckey Brooks - great, he was a rookie

Met them all at the same time when they used to hold joint practices with the Steelers in Pennsylvania.

It was the offseason after they had just lost their fourth Super Bowl. My father was with me and he was talking to Ralph Wilson, and he asked Ralph if we were going back again that year.

Wilson gave him a lecture saying, "do you know what the odds are of going to one Super Bowl, and the odds of going to two, and the odds of going to three, and the odds of going to four?"

He just looked at my dad like he was crazy!

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Shake_My_Head said:

I once saw Bruce Smith in our local Tops during his peak years.    I've never seen another person quite like him. 

His build made me think of a praying mantis--huge upper body, tiny little waist and great big thighs.    It was pretty cool.

Same thought here. Bruce was in a sleeveless tee shirt and he just looked otherworldly. His biceps were literally as big as my thighs. I've never seen another human like him.

• Agree 1

If any of you ever met, former center, Melvin Fowler you would hate him. That guy was a dbag.

Marshawn Lynch was one of the kindest, most down-to-earth, athletes that I ever met. That guy got it. He was ALWAYS willing to help, sign autographs, take pictures with people, etc… Generally guys HATE that but Marshawn  understood the value of the fans in a manner that most don’t. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

I ran into Ryan Fitzpatrick right after he signed with the Dolphins. We were at Busch Gardens and he rode a roller coaster in the seat just in front of my wife and son. After the ride I said hi and he was very cordial. We said a few pleasantries an went on our way. Seemed like a great guy.

My buddies and I went to the Eagles at Bills game in the mid 2000's (I think) Eagles won on a big run for a TD at the end of the game.  Since we're out of town we all stayed at the Days Inn in Hamburg.  The place with the bowling alley.  Forgive me, not a local.  We were in the bar and some of us were bowling.  Takeo Spikes walked in with his buddies.  Super cool guy!!  He signed my buddies Takeo Jersey he had on, got a group picture with us and chatted for a few minutes.  I was just staring at his neck!  haha.   Met Lee Evans in Hammers lot.  Flutie signed my hat at camp one year along with Wiley who was much more talkative that Doug.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.