Chance encounters with current/former Bill players. Did it change your opinion of them?

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I worked with Charlie Ferguson for a number of years.  He is a great guy.  He was an effective manager and his employees really liked him.

I worked there also, but far from Charlie.  But, he and I crossed paths a few times at the golf dome (we had the same coach/Jim Horn) and we talked about our (retiree) company business.  Always a great guy, in a wheel chair the last time I saw him from afar at a Bills game.

• Like (+1) 1

Keith McKeller and Nate Odomes at the Thurman Thomas show, must have been 1991?   Stood in line with my Dad for an autograph, got the autograph but they left me hanging for a hand shake because they were too busy talking to the blondes behind me.  I was 8.  

Marcvus Patton spoke at a men's breakfast for the local group of churches in WNY around 1994.   He signed after the breakfast and seemed pretty open with conversation and time. 

Marv Levy had a book signing when I worked at Walden Books in the Eastern Hills mall around 2004.   We ushered him through the back door and I couldnt get over how tan he was.  I thought he looked exactly like Mike Wallace from 60 minutes.   Literally the most genuine and kind person I've ever met from the Bills organization.  His wife had to encourage him to move the line along because he was spending so much time with every fan.  

Tom Donahoe walked into the same bookstore right before closing around Christmas 2005.   Dude looked completely defeated and had the jowls of Droopy the Dog.  I told him I was a big fan of the team, he said thank you but wasnt looking for a conversation.    A month or so later he was fired.  Hope he enjoyed the books.

Jim Kelly- My oldest son usually goes to Kelly camp.  Jim and his family are always walking around.   One day when I was walking around waiting for the kid to get done Jim came by in a golf cart and stopped to talk for a second with a big "Hey Buddy!"    Doesnt know me from Adam, but stopped to ask how my kid was liking the camp.   Seemed like a nice enough guy, but you can tell he has a bit of the old school "dude" in him.     That said, guy has been through hell and come out on top.

Not a player, but at Kelly Camp a few years ago one of the other Dad's and I had kid's in the same drills daily so we would just end up talking at length almost everyday.  Talked a lot about Brady and the Patriots (when he was still there) and how hard it is to find a good QB, this is the summer of Josh Allen's rookie year.   Anyways, during the week he asked me what I did for a living and I told him.  Then I asked him, and he said he works here, the kids were at the fieldhouse at the time.  I had been talking to the Bills Director of Football Operations the entire week without knowing it.   Seems like a really cool guy got along famously.

• Like (+1) 3

When Takeo Spikes was on mad sports on bet he went to kfc/taco bell for food. I was one of the guys there it was all set up ahead of time. But he took time out after the cameras were turned off to hang with all of us a half hour 45 minutes after about how the season was going and everything. Me and my buddy had season tix and really were disappointed in the season. He told me to tell my buddy to come to that week's game it was against Washington. My buddy was so excited. And we blew the Reds out that week.

• Like (+1) 1

I was a sophomore WR at Lake Howell High School in FL and Kawika Mitchell was a senior LB on our team. In our Blue and Silver Spring scrimmage I ran an end around from the 15 yard line and was coasting into the endzone. Everything went dark at the 2 yard line. He knocked me out cold with a shot to the ear hole and I flew 8 yards out of bounds. 

We ran track together too, awesome guy, always appreciate being able to say a Buffalo Bill knocked me out. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I had Thurman Thomas come up to me in Jamaica about 12 years ago. I had a Bills' shirt on and he said "Go Bills!". The way he had his hat and was dressed I didn't recognize him until I heard the voice. Then I was confused (all this being sober). It was cool and super surprising.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Grew up out in Chautauqua County so I got to go to a bunch of camps in the early 90s. I've got signed cards, hats, footballs, etc. In fact I just found my signed Jim Kelly cards. Think I'm gonna send them off to be graded and authenticated. 

Favorite memory was probably when I was ten and Jim came zipping thru on a golf cart. He saw me and a buncha other kids so he stopped to sign autos. He signed my dogeared Pro Set card but when I turned to leave there was a crowd. So I just kinda quietly sat there on the cart next to him while he signed autographs for about ten minutes. 

Met Marshawn Lynch in Hamburg Walmart the week Jauron was fired in November 2009. I asked if he thought firing him was a good move and he just be said, "Above my pay grade, man, but hopefully for the best. Y'all should be Raiders fans!" I worked in a group home at the time and had a resident with me that was a huge fan. Marshawn grabbed a pen and piece of receipt tape from the cashier and signed an auto for the guy. And that dude talked about it endlessly. Haven't worked there in over a decade but I bet if I ran into the guy tomorrow he'd say, hey remember that time we met Marshawn Lynch?!

Got to chill in the VIP tent for camp in 2015. Had a mini helmet signed by the Cold Front guys, Kyle, Jerry, Mario, and Marcell. Kyle seems like a great dude. Someone asked what he thought about Rex's defense and while he gave a diplomatic answer the look on his face said he likely wasn't thrilled to be switching systems. Mario was quiet but nice. Marcell was a goofball, truly just a big unguided kid. And Jerry just seemed to have a really chill/cool vibe to him. Like other players on the team seemed to gravitate towards him because he has this big fun personality. Also met EJ that year and holy guacamole that dude is huge. Lynch was also remarkably bigger in person. Don't know how he fits thru a standard sized door without his monstrous shoulders smashing thru the frame. 

My cousin did PR with the team right out of college. His job was to be on site for rookie appearances and events that the rookies are typically contracted to do. He actually became pretty chummy with Eric Wood and hung out to grab beers with him a few times. Said he's a good dude and just absolutely loves football. 

All of this pales in comparison to the one time about three years ago I saw Siran Neal in Walmart. We were buying the same shampoo. We shared the silent "sup" head nod greeting. And I silently swore that I wouldn't tell anyone that Siran was having some dandruff issues. ....whoops

Edited by blacklabel
  • Haha (+1) 1

I hate Hero Worship

I always feel bad for anyone who is famous ( who didn’t do it for fame) and is constantly bothered by people.

The 90’s Bills used to come to a bar on Union rd that I played at, in a band, before home games. Bruce, Thurman, Davis, Talley and others. Al, not the owner, used to cordon off the end of the bar and take care of them. I LOVED them then and now. I could have gone and met them. I didn’t.  They were there chilling and didn’t need one more arse kisser bothering them.

Dr. R was a healthcare professional who was attached to the team then. I saw him on a monthly basis. Sometimes Bills would show up in the waiting room. Again, five feet from them, I left them alone. 

I didn’t read any of this thread but I bet there are multiple stories of players not being nice/cool/etc. Bug me when I’m not in the mood and I can be a dick. I’m sure most on here are the same. If a Bills player was a douche to you in the past, chances are you deserved it😘

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Keith McKeller and Nate Odomes at the Thurman Thomas show, must have been 1991?   Stood in line with my Dad for an autograph, got the autograph but they left me hanging for a hand shake because they were too busy talking to the blondes behind me.  I was 8.  

Marcvus Patton spoke at a men's breakfast for the local group of churches in WNY around 1994.   He signed after the breakfast and seemed pretty open with conversation and time. 

Marv Levy had a book signing when I worked at Walden Books in the Eastern Hills mall around 2004.   We ushered him through the back door and I couldnt get over how tan he was.  I thought he looked exactly like Mike Wallace from 60 minutes.   Literally the most genuine and kind person I've ever met from the Bills organization.  His wife had to encourage him to move the line along because he was spending so much time with every fan.  

Tom Donahoe walked into the same bookstore right before closing around Christmas 2005.   Dude looked completely defeated and had the jowls of Droopy the Dog.  I told him I was a big fan of the team, he said thank you but wasnt looking for a conversation.    A month or so later he was fired.  Hope he enjoyed the books.

Jim Kelly- My oldest son usually goes to Kelly camp.  Jim and his family are always walking around.   One day when I was walking around waiting for the kid to get done Jim came by in a golf cart and stopped to talk for a second with a big "Hey Buddy!"    Doesnt know me from Adam, but stopped to ask how my kid was liking the camp.   Seemed like a nice enough guy, but you can tell he has a bit of the old school "dude" in him.     That said, guy has been through hell and come out on top.

Not a player, but at Kelly Camp a few years ago one of the other Dad's and I had kid's in the same drills daily so we would just end up talking at length almost everyday.  Talked a lot about Brady and the Patriots (when he was still there) and how hard it is to find a good QB, this is the summer of Josh Allen's rookie year.   Anyways, during the week he asked me what I did for a living and I told him.  Then I asked him, and he said he works here, the kids were at the fieldhouse at the time.  I had been talking to the Bills Director of Football Operations the entire week without knowing it.   Seems like a really cool guy got along famously.

Oh that's right! Kelly's camp went from being like a 5 day camp where you stayed the whole time like how it was when I went to just a day camp at some point right?

Edited by Big Turk

Years and years ago I spent a night drinking w/ Matt Kofler - he was married at the time to a girl I went to HS with.  I remember trying to be cool and not ask too many Bills questions - but it's also not like there were a lot of "glory days" stories to tell from his era .. He seemed a nice guy (RIP)

I've told this story before:  Years ago I went to Jimmy V charity golf tournament which was right next to where I lived, and James Lofton was in one of the groups.  Things were winding down, and as I was headed out I saw Lofton on a tee.  For some reason I got the great idea I was going to run home and get a camera (oh the days before cell phones) and get a picture with him.  On the way I soon realized the distance was longer than I estimated, and I was not quite in the shape I thought I was.  Not to mention it was Miami-Dolphin-visiting-sideline-hot that day. By the time I got back I was dying - could hardly breathe and sweating profusely.  I stumbled toward Lofton and will never forget the look on his face when he saw this heaving, crazy-looking person drenched in sweat approaching.  Barely able to breathe I blurted out "JamesisawyoucatchalotofballsatrichstadiumthoseweregreatdaysGoBiils!canigetapicture" and he accomodated me as one might accomodate an insane person while fearing for their life.  He showed a lot of poise in that situation 😛 

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, transient said:

I used to run into Sabres players all the time in my 20's during my bar hopping days. I ran into Jason Dawe and talked to him so many times that he'd say hi to me if he saw me first. The craziest was running into Danny Gare at either Mother's or Fat Bob's one cold winter post-game evening. He was drunk and telling stories to me and my roommate of his time with the Oilers and how he told off Glen Sather. I can still hear him in my head saying "F*** you, Glenn!" as he recounted the story. He then signed a bar napkin and gave it to my roommate for an autograph unrequested. It was a bit surreal.

I think I’ve told this story in a similar thread here before but I also ran into Danny here in Cbus at the bar after a Sabres / Jackets game. He commented on my jersey and I thanked him and called him by name and that was all it took. I think he was happy to be recognized as he had been doing some work for CBJ for a couple years and I doubt any locals could pick him out. 

Super nice guy. We shot the bull for quite a while. It’s a bit fuzzy as I had quite a few pops in me but at one point he introduced me to his daughter 😳. Also unprompted, he somehow came up with a sharpie and signed the front crest of my jersey on the Buffalo. Which would have been awesome, but it was a LaFontaine jersey 😐😂…. “Surreal” is a good way to put the whole situation. 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I hate Hero Worship

I always feel bad for anyone who is famous ( who didn’t do it for fame) and is constantly bothered by people.

The 90’s Bills used to come to a bar on Union rd that I played at, in a band, before home games. Bruce, Thurman, Davis, Talley and others. Al, not the owner, used to cordon off the end of the bar and take care of them. I LOVED them then and now. I could have gone and met them. I didn’t.  They were there chilling and didn’t need one more arse kisser bothering them.

Dr. R was a healthcare professional who was attached to the team then. I saw him on a monthly basis. Sometimes Bills would show up in the waiting room. Again, five feet from them, I left them alone. 

I didn’t read any of this thread but I bet there are multiple stories of players not being nice/cool/etc. Bug me when I’m not in the mood and I can be a dick. I’m sure most on here are the same. If a Bills player was a douche to you in the past, chances are you deserved it😘

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I think I’ve told this story in a similar thread here before but I also ran into Danny here in Cbus at the bar after a Sabres / Jackets game. He commented on my jersey and I thanked him and called him by name and that was all it took. I think he was happy to be recognized as he had been doing some work for CBJ for a couple years and I doubt any locals could pick him out. 

Super nice guy. We shot the bull for quite a while. It’s a bit fuzzy as I had quite a few pops in me but at one point he introduced me to his daughter 😳. Also unprompted, he somehow came up with a sharpie and signed the front crest of my jersey on the Buffalo. Which would have been awesome, but it was a LaFontaine jersey 😐😂…. “Surreal” is a good way to put the whole situation. 

Haha, CBus! Lived off of Schrock Rd and Westerville Rd for about 6 years...cool city. Miss the Easton Mall, definitely nothing like that in WNY.

I am sure they are glad I left tho...I hated Ohio State and used to actively root against them when they played Michigan...needless to say I wasn't overly popular on those days.

Had a friend that lived near campus and a bunch of used to go to his place and watch games sometimes but made sure to be nowhere near there if they were at home against Michigan especially after they rioted and tipped over cars and set them on fire the one year...

Also stopped and helped quite a few people who couldn't get their cars unstuck during random snow events there. Remember the one time I was coming out of my townhouse and I notice a group of about 10 people all around a car and trying to get it unstuck...I sauntered over and asked if they needed some help and the one person said "Man...we have been here trying for about an hour and none of us can get this damn car out...you know any tricks?"  and I was like "Yeah,  got one I can show you..." so they let me try and I got to work rocking it back and forth by quickly going from drive to reverse and about a minute later it popped out and they all looked at me stunned and I just said "OK, you are all set" and started walking away...the one person yelled "Hey man! How did you do learn how to do that?" and I just laughed and said "I'm from Buffalo!" and kept walking.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Joe D lived down the street from my parent's house in OP and I saw him occasionally as a kid when riding my bike with friends.  He always waved and seemed like a nice guy.

My friends and I were hanging out shooting pool at the old Rappl's in OP one night and Jeff Wright came in with some buddies.  We gave him the nod and left them alone and they hung out at the bar for awhile doing shots and drinking beer.

I ran into Fred Smerlas one morning in the Denny's parking lot near the 5 corners in OP.  He said hello and seemed like a happy-go-lucky guy.  Too bad he's a douche now.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Everyone seems to have a Jim Kelly story they don't want to share. 

When I was stationed in Cape Cod one of my friends there was telling me how he was at a bar where he asked the waitress for her number she wouldn’t give it and Jim Kelly threw a drink in her face

Josh Allen’s family owns a farm right down the street from where my grandfather owned a dairy in California I know his family but I’ve never actually been able to meet Josh

When Josh went to play his college ball in Wyoming that was about 30 minutes away from where I lived as a youth in Kemmerer Wyoming

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.