Four Weeks into the NFL Season, and it still remains a "Prove It" league

Virgil

Whether you are a fantasy owner, just love watching football, or whatever your involvement is with the sport, this is has been one of the strangest starts to the season in recent memory.  There were so many off-season changes to teams rosters, that speculation was rampant regarding who the contenders, pretenders, and draft-waiters would be.  For whatever it's worth, here's my random thoughts on the league so far:

• Broncos - Are they not the biggest disappointment of the season?  On paper, this team should be 4-0 and owning the division (minus another under-performing team).  They have all the weapons they could need on both sides of the ball.  With their performance, you have to wonder?
    • Was Carroll onto something in Seatlle when trying to move on from Russ all these years?
    • Was Hackett only as good as Aaron Rodgers made him look in GB
  • Colts - With the Titans losing AJ Brown, the Colts seemed like the sure pick to win their division.  Matt Ryan couldn't be worse than Wentz, but maybe not much better.  So far, JT has been completely shut down in half his game, Pittman is the only weapon on offense, and their only real victory was the upset win over the Chiefs (thank you btw).  On some of the talk radio shows I listen to, there's a lot of talk about Frank and the GM being one of the first duo's fired, possibly in season.  If Matt Ryan retires, doesn't it sound like the perfect place for mediocre Jimmy G to play mediocre games?
  • Eagles - While the Dolphins were out rebuilding their team, it feels like the Eagles slipped under the radar while coping a very similar blue-print.  The difference is, the Eagles are much more successful at it.  I haven't been able to see them play yet, but the Eagles look like the NFC favorite at the moment and are dominating everyone. 
  • Dolphins - I said this before the season, their roster is scary and Tua is the only question mark.  4 weeks in, I think the head coach deserves a ton of credit as I believe he runs a great offensive scheme that really caters to his teams strengths.  However, we all know that teams adjust to schemes midway through the season, and I'm very curious to see how the Dolphins handle that.  I'm not positive that Teddy won't be as good running that offense as Tua.  Moreso, Tua feels like Brady to me in his first few seasons, in that he's being put in a position to win, but clearly has arm talent issues.  I'm not saying Tua will turn into Brady, far from it, but I think his success right now is more about the team around him, and not his play itself.
  • Lions - Where the hell did this come from?  Yes, their record isn't great, but they are putting on an absolute show on offense.  Even more so, they did it in week 4 without Swift and St Brown.  This is Goff running the show too!  I don't even understand it, but it's fun to root for them.   Like the Bengals, I feel a certain sense of empathy for that team as they know misery.
  • Rams - Is there a bigger offseason acquisition disappointment than Allen Robinson?  It makes no sense how little he is being used.  With his size and speed, plus everyone focusing on Kupp, how is Robinson not going off?  Also, I said acquisition, because I didn't forget about Akers.  What the hell is going on there?  Fantasy owners are jumping off cliffs left and right.  Also, does McVay officially have to refer to Shanahan as "Daddy" going forward?
  • Patriots - Nothing surprising, it just feels good to watch it burn and know they spent a ton of money in FA to suck
  • Vikings - At this point, Cousins is Tyrod to me.  Good guy, can have some good games, but there's just a limit to what he can do and he's fools gold out there.  In an offense where Justin Jefferson can get 150 yards per game with his eyes closed, it makes no sense how this offense isn't better than it is.  We all know finding a solid starting QB is hard, but Cousins has proven he's all he will ever be
  • Packers - Watching a receiver drop at least one touchdown a game feels therapeutic.  Rodgers has proven to be both a Diva and "me" guy.  He got his 50 mil, but at the expense of having any receivers.  Good, just good.
  • Ravens - I'm going to eat crow and say that Lamar has developed into a better passer than I thought he ever would be.  However, he's also proven to be a bit of a fraud on a personal level.  All of his off-season comments about his contract wishes and wanting to be a team guy burnt up as soon as we found out he wants guaranteed money in the Watson range.  Listen, there's so many "me first" guys in the league that you can't fault them anymore.  Plus, if you don't get hurt or start to fall of a cliff like Wentz, all QB's deals end up being guaranteed anyways because you aren't getting cut or traded.  I get why the Ravens were hesitant with his contract, especially with his injury, but I think they only have two choices at this point, assuming Lamar doesn't fall off a cliff.  You either need to cave and give him the money, or trade him this off-season team who is stupid like the Browns and willing to give up capitol and money.  The difference is, Lamar isn't facing suspension, so someone will do it.  The Ravens can't afford to franchise him two seasons in a row, so they need to decide what they are willing to do this off-season and run with it.  I fear that Lamar will end up in a Rodgers situation though, where the Ravens pay him and then can't pay anyone else around him, so he's stuck in playoff-making-only purgatory. 
  • Cardinals - Well, Kyler got his money and they still can't score in the first half.  I have to wonder how much of a leash that HC is going to get.  More so, if the coach leaves, I wonder how Kyler handles someone else coming in.  We've seen how mature he's handled his contract situation, so I'm sure he's a super team player.  With the contracts they've given out, I could see some serious turmoil and dumpster fire issues in Arizona in the upcoming off-season
  • Giants - I had a gut feeling that Barkley would bounce back this year and I'm kicking myself for not acting on it during fantasy drafts.  It's interesting to see what traits Daboll brought with him from McD.  I love that he's not caving to Kenny or Toney, and playing the guys who earn it.  I haven't heard much, but I have to assume that is doing wonders for his buy-in in the locker room.  Give them two seasons, and I think the Giants and Eagles will be running that division.
  • Chiefs - Everyone was ready to write them off this off-season.  They lost hill, brought in some lesser talent replacement options, all while the rest of their division got so much better.  Then we remembered they have Mahomes and Reid.  Minus one head scratching loss to the Colts, the Chiefs are finding new ways to score point and doing it in a much more proficient ways.  Everyone is getting involved, at the behest of fantasy owners, and they still look like the top team to beat in the division and for the 1 seed.  Like the last 10 years with Brady, never count the winners out until they've proven to lose.
  • Raiders - Offensive genius head coach, Elite capable QB, Elite WR, and solid roster depth on both sides of the ball.  Results, 0-3 start.  Again, it's all good on paper until you have to prove it

Well, that was a lot.  No real point.  Just talkin here

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Whether you are a fantasy owner, just love watching football, or whatever your involvement is with the sport, this is has been one of the strangest starts to the season in recent memory.  There were so many off-season changes to teams rosters, that speculation was rampant regarding who the contenders, pretenders, and draft-waiters would be.  For whatever it's worth, here's my random thoughts on the league so far:

• Broncos - Are they not the biggest disappointment of the season?  On paper, this team should be 4-0 and owning the division (minus another under-performing team).  They have all the weapons they could need on both sides of the ball.  With their performance, you have to wonder?
    • Was Carroll onto something in Seatlle when trying to move on from Russ all these years?
    • Was Hackett only as good as Aaron Rodgers made him look in GB
  • Colts - With the Titans losing AJ Brown, the Colts seemed like the sure pick to win their division.  Matt Ryan couldn't be worse than Wentz, but maybe not much better.  So far, JT has been completely shut down in half his game, Pittman is the only weapon on offense, and their only real victory was the upset win over the Chiefs (thank you btw).  On some of the talk radio shows I listen to, there's a lot of talk about Frank and the GM being one of the first duo's fired, possibly in season.  If Matt Ryan retires, doesn't it sound like the perfect place for mediocre Jimmy G to play mediocre games?
  • Eagles - While the Dolphins were out rebuilding their team, it feels like the Eagles slipped under the radar while coping a very similar blue-print.  The difference is, the Eagles are much more successful at it.  I haven't been able to see them play yet, but the Eagles look like the NFC favorite at the moment and are dominating everyone. 
  • Dolphins - I said this before the season, their roster is scary and Tua is the only question mark.  4 weeks in, I think the head coach deserves a ton of credit as I believe he runs a great offensive scheme that really caters to his teams strengths.  However, we all know that teams adjust to schemes midway through the season, and I'm very curious to see how the Dolphins handle that.  I'm not positive that Teddy won't be as good running that offense as Tua.  Moreso, Tua feels like Brady to me in his first few seasons, in that he's being put in a position to win, but clearly has arm talent issues.  I'm not saying Tua will turn into Brady, far from it, but I think his success right now is more about the team around him, and not his play itself.
  • Lions - Where the hell did this come from?  Yes, their record isn't great, but they are putting on an absolute show on offense.  Even more so, they did it in week 4 without Swift and St Brown.  This is Goff running the show too!  I don't even understand it, but it's fun to root for them.   Like the Bengals, I feel a certain sense of empathy for that team as they know misery.
  • Rams - Is there a bigger offseason acquisition disappointment than Allen Robinson?  It makes no sense how little he is being used.  With his size and speed, plus everyone focusing on Kupp, how is Robinson not going off?  Also, I said acquisition, because I didn't forget about Akers.  What the hell is going on there?  Fantasy owners are jumping off cliffs left and right.  Also, does McVay officially have to refer to Shanahan as "Daddy" going forward?
  • Patriots - Nothing surprising, it just feels good to watch it burn and know they spent a ton of money in FA to suck
  • Vikings - At this point, Cousins is Tyrod to me.  Good guy, can have some good games, but there's just a limit to what he can do and he's fools gold out there.  In an offense where Justin Jefferson can get 150 yards per game with his eyes closed, it makes no sense how this offense isn't better than it is.  We all know finding a solid starting QB is hard, but Cousins has proven he's all he will ever be
  • Packers - Watching a receiver drop at least one touchdown a game feels therapeutic.  Rodgers has proven to be both a Diva and "me" guy.  He got his 50 mil, but at the expense of having any receivers.  Good, just good.
  • Ravens - I'm going to eat crow and say that Lamar has developed into a better passer than I thought he ever would be.  However, he's also proven to be a bit of a fraud on a personal level.  All of his off-season comments about his contract wishes and wanting to be a team guy burnt up as soon as we found out he wants guaranteed money in the Watson range.  Listen, there's so many "me first" guys in the league that you can't fault them anymore.  Plus, if you don't get hurt or start to fall of a cliff like Wentz, all QB's deals end up being guaranteed anyways because you aren't getting cut or traded.  I get why the Ravens were hesitant with his contract, especially with his injury, but I think they only have two choices at this point, assuming Lamar doesn't fall off a cliff.  You either need to cave and give him the money, or trade him this off-season team who is stupid like the Browns and willing to give up capitol and money.  The difference is, Lamar isn't facing suspension, so someone will do it.  The Ravens can't afford to franchise him two seasons in a row, so they need to decide what they are willing to do this off-season and run with it.  I fear that Lamar will end up in a Rodgers situation though, where the Ravens pay him and then can't pay anyone else around him, so he's stuck in playoff-making-only purgatory. 
  • Cardinals - Well, Kyler got his money and they still can't score in the first half.  I have to wonder how much of a leash that HC is going to get.  More so, if the coach leaves, I wonder how Kyler handles someone else coming in.  We've seen how mature he's handled his contract situation, so I'm sure he's a super team player.  With the contracts they've given out, I could see some serious turmoil and dumpster fire issues in Arizona in the upcoming off-season
  • Giants - I had a gut feeling that Barkley would bounce back this year and I'm kicking myself for not acting on it during fantasy drafts.  It's interesting to see what traits Daboll brought with him from McD.  I love that he's not caving to Kenny or Toney, and playing the guys who earn it.  I haven't heard much, but I have to assume that is doing wonders for his buy-in in the locker room.  Give them two seasons, and I think the Giants and Eagles will be running that division.
  • Chiefs - Everyone was ready to write them off this off-season.  They lost hill, brought in some lesser talent replacement options, all while the rest of their division got so much better.  Then we remembered they have Mahomes and Reid.  Minus one head scratching loss to the Colts, the Chiefs are finding new ways to score point and doing it in a much more proficient ways.  Everyone is getting involved, at the behest of fantasy owners, and they still look like the top team to beat in the division and for the 1 seed.  Like the last 10 years with Brady, never count the winners out until they've proven to lose.
  • Raiders - Offensive genius head coach, Elite capable QB, Elite WR, and solid roster depth on both sides of the ball.  Results, 0-3 start.  Again, it's all good on paper until you have to prove it

Well, that was a lot.  No real point.  Just talkin here

yes but there is one team conspicuously absent from your list !  what are your thoughts?  

3 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

yes but there is one team conspicuously absent from your list !  what are your thoughts?  

I’ll be honest, this thing got a mind of its own and I blanked out.  I have no idea who you mean.  

Just now, Draconator said:

So much has been said about Detroit, but to me the biggest surprise is Jacksonville. They're a solid team and will more than likely improve to at least .500 this year.

I wanted to include them, but I have no idea what’s going on there.  I know there roster is better, and they destroy led the Chargers, but I don’t know why?

Is TLaw figuring it out?   Is it coaching?  Favorable schedule?  All of the above?

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I wanted to include them, but I have no idea what’s going on there.  I know there roster is better, and they destroy led the Chargers, but I don’t know why?

Is TLaw figuring it out?   Is it coaching?  Favorable schedule?  All of the above?

I think Pederson is coaching to their strengths, which is working. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nobody seems to realise that the Chiefs and Bills have had the exact same start to the season. Two blow out wins, a close win and a road loss. They have played in absolutely perfect conditions in every game too. No wind, no rain, and two dome games. That’s not an excuse for wins and losses, but it does explain the Bills less than great offensive stats last Sunday. Remember how the Bills looked in perfect conditions? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

Nobody seems to realise that the Chiefs and Bills have had the exact same start to the season. Two blow out wins, a close win and a road loss. They have played in absolutely perfect conditions in every game too. No wind, no rain, and two dome games. That’s not an excuse for wins and losses, but it does explain the Bills less than great offensive stats last Sunday. Remember how the Bills looked in perfect conditions? 

The Bills played in perfect conditions all four games?  Did I read that right?

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

And healthy

8 hours ago, Utah John said:

I think the team not mentioned that should have been, is the Chargers.  I think half the preseason predictions were that the Chargers would prevail in a very tough AFCW.  Well, no and no.  

I don’t find their record surprising considering the injuries to Allen and Herbert.  That rib injury could affect him all season.  

I was focusing on teams that underperform based upon expectations, not injuries 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.