Schopp show without Schopp

notwoz

12 hours ago, wagon127 said:

I do believe they lost a bet one day at the station, and that's why they got picked to handle the bills post game show. That has to be the worst job, especially after home games, when every other caller is wasted.

I kind of laughed when there was a running weekly thing a few years ago of fans ending their post-game call with "Bulldog smokes the pole"

Yes, it's a bit juvenile, but anything to throw those two off their guard is a good listen

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I find it ironic how schopp always says he wants to talk facts and reality and yet talks about fantasy all the time. 
he will

get upset with callers who asks hypothetical questions yet if HE bring up "what ifs" then it OK

Yeah, if there was something i really didn't like about him, it would be this. I like the fact he doesn't act like everything the team does will work out, or make excuses for the team when it doesn't. But the stuff you mentioned, is what I don't like about him.

40 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Is Schopp more tolerable now that the Bills are a good team?  He seems to have lost much of his material because the Bills are winning more and a better run organization. JMO

He doesn't have much to complain about really when it comes to that and soon he won't have much when it comes to the Sabres either...they are the Bills right now from 5 years ago.

The thing that's bad about Schopp is he spends as much time as possible talking about anything but the Buffalo Bills. He goes on long tangents about really stupid things. He'll talk about players from other teams. He'll talk about betting and fantasy.

I really feel like he barely cares about the Bills. He even admitted one time to not actually watching the Bills game he was supposedly supposed to be talking about. His apathy comes through, and it doesn't do anything for him. Heck, he doesn't even seem to enjoy doing what he does, especially when he has to listen to callers. He is just a guy collecting his paycheck.

Bulldog (why does he call himself something so stupid?) is just a random guy to be there talking about stuff with Schopp. Doesn't have a good voice for radio. Doesn't provide any worthwhile analysis or insight. Schopp at least has a decent radio voice.

So yeah, I find their show boring and depressing. I see no point to it. I wonder how they haven't been replaced yet.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, notwoz said:

Listening to the Schopp/Bulldog show tonight. Schopp is not on the air. He has a day off. 

I find the show surprisingly listenable without Schopp and his addictions to gambling, fantasy leagues and his ego.

Oh boy, another "I hate Mike Schopp" thread.  Seems like it's been a while since our last one.

Did you happen to notice how utterly inept Bulldog is?  How nervous he is when he has to go solo?  And how much he physically struggles to speak?

My biggest complaint with Schopp these days is that, as you mention, he is absolutely ADDICTED to gambling, lines, spreads, over/under, fantasy sports leagues, etc...

I have a theory that says he can't go more than about 10 minutes without making SOME kind of reference to "gambling" one way or the other.

I have ZERO interest in any of that.  Sports talk and sports gambling talk are 2 completely different topics IMO.

If it's getting to the point where all sports talk is to be dominated by gambling, I'm done listening to sports talk entirely.

Some days I have to shut it off, I hate it.

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Is Schopp more tolerable now that the Bills are a good team?  He seems to have lost much of his material because the Bills are winning more and a better run organization. JMO

It's not his "material".  He calls it as it is; when we were got garbage for 2 decades, he said so.  So did lots of us.

Now are are one of the better run teams in the league, are almost elite with analytics, and have as good a QB as anyone in the league.  It's a different world now with the team so commentary about that team is in a different world too.

I find Mike to be extremely flexible with the organization these days; it's hard to hear him say something negative.

My theory is that he doesn't want to end up as another Jerry Sullivan; hated by the kool aid drinking fanbase to the point where his employer decided it made better financial sense to let him go.

I genuinely believe Schopp realized he needed to change; maybe his superiors at the station forced him to see it this way.  I don't know.

18 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Haha, he is insufferable at times but I've gotten used to his "I'm the smartest guy in the room ans you are an idiot if you dint agree with me" schtick so it doesn't bother me as much anymore...

Sometimes he is actually pretty funny.

Actually, he is the smartest guy at WGR-550, and by a good bit in my estimation.

And quite a few of his callers are shockingly stupid.  I mean unbelievably stupid.

People who mis-pronounce (badly) player names, state things that are simply not true, invent their own realties, and so on.

As I have said here 100 times...if an INTELLIGENT caller calls in and actually contributes something of substance to the show, Schopp is extremely polite and praises the caller.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's not his "material".  He calls it as it is; when we were got garbage for 2 decades, he said so.  So did lots of us.

Now are are one of the better run teams in the league, are almost elite with analytics, and have as good a QB as anyone in the league.  It's a different world now with the team so commentary about that team is in a different world too.

I find Mike to be extremely flexible with the organization these days; it's hard to hear him say something negative.

My theory is that he doesn't want to end up as another Jerry Sullivan; hated by the kool aid drinking fanbase to the point where his employer decided it made better financial sense to let him go.

I genuinely believe Schopp realized he needed to change; maybe his superiors at the station forced him to see it this way.  I don't know.

I think you know what I meant about Schopp.  Perhaps "material" isn't the correct term but his views of the Bills were rather negative for a long time.  I'm not defending the Bills.  They were a badly run organization for quite some time.  Schopp is a smart guy and rather articulate.    

2 hours ago, wagon127 said:

Yeah, if there was something i really didn't like about him, it would be this. I like the fact he doesn't act like everything the team does will work out, or make excuses for the team when it doesn't. But the stuff you mentioned, is what I don't like about him.

Exactly. I don't mind his takes on the team. I think it's because he reminds me of a friend. Just the double standard is all. Funny thing is I've found myself now irritated when people ask how they are doing hahaha

I listen most mornings to WGR on my way to work.  Really like Jeremy and his presence on the air and with Howard transitioning out and Joe likely filling that seat, I think morning show will be strong for a while. Schoop and Bulldog are ok for me.  I definitely prefer Bulldog to Schoop, but one without the other is an immediate no go for me.  I would like to listen to Extra Point more often, but its tough while I am at work.

• Vomit 1

I literally just tuned into them, and slid the thing at the website to go back in time to the start of the show.

The first thing I heard was Schopp saying "I ran and bet the under yesterday."

True story; guy cannot keep himself from discussing gambling topics for more than 10 minutes.

😂

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I literally just tuned into them, and slid the thing at the website to go back in time to the start of the show.

The first thing I heard was Schopp saying "I ran and bet the under yesterday."

True story; guy cannot keep himself from discussing gambling topics for more than 10 minutes.

😂

bro, do you even single-game parlay?

Trust me bro, it’s amazing. Please.  Trust me.

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't mind the morning or afternoon shows (although I am listening to segments on catch up because you can't stream live in Europe in this GDPR age). I can't abide the extra point show. I like Sal a lot as a reporter but man giving him 2 hours a day to propagandise for the franchise is rough. I actually feel for Joe. He is good. He tries to see pros and cons. But man if he sees a con does Sal try and jump down his throat immediately.

On 10/5/2022 at 5:42 PM, Steptide said:

I don't mind either of them honestly. I just wish they'd chill with the fantasy/betting talk so much. I know it's a big thing now, but it gets old after a while 

Especially when talking about how busy with how many fantasy leagues, sounds like a middle age guy living in parents' basement.

On 10/6/2022 at 11:49 AM, Bruffalo said:

The show was better when Joe was the producer. The Extra Point show is the best thing on WGR, the morning show is decent, and I hear almost as much about the Ravens as I do the Bills when Schopp is on the air. 

OBL is my bread and butter, but Sal and the extra point show is great.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.