Schopp show without Schopp

notwoz

On 10/5/2022 at 2:31 PM, notwoz said:

Listening to the Schopp/Bulldog show tonight. Schopp is not on the air. He has a day off. 

I find the show surprisingly listenable without Schopp and his addictions to gambling, fantasy leagues and his ego.

I don’t mind Bulldog, but how they can’t find a newsreader who can actually read copy between segments, without stumbling over it - every time - I’ll never understand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/5/2022 at 5:33 PM, Big Turk said:

Haha, he is insufferable at times but I've gotten used to his "I'm the smartest guy in the room ans you are an idiot if you dint agree with me" schtick so it doesn't bother me as much anymore...

Sometimes he is actually pretty funny.

there’s an easy solution for those two ars clowns.  Movin the chains on nfl radio.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I listen every day, cuz I’m a sick Bills fan living in another State. 🤷‍♂️ Truth be told, they Suck! Their premise, inability to think well on their feet and yes, the stupid betting.
But they’re the ONLY thing on radio talking about the Bills..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:46 PM, TheBrownBear said:

Same here.  I mean, they're not great, but most local sports talk radio around the country isn't either.  I like being able to hear Bills talk during the day being marooned out here in San Diego.

How are you listening to it? Every time i try to get them on audacy now i get some strange cbs national radio with some guy that sounds like the ladies man from SNL and he does talk about the bills but he isnt local and its trash

Edited by BillsFan692

I don't like the constant gambling/fantasy discussion on WGR either but since Audacy owns Betql unfortunately it's not going anywhere.

As for the morning show Howard is going to be missed when he leaves for good. The 3 day arrangement Howard made is only through football season and he will decide if he's staying or going to do something else after the season is over according to the Buffalo news article that came out after he announced his new schedule. Even though I liked Sneaky Joe on the afternoon show and the nightcap he sucks with Jeremy . I say this because he is a carbon copy of Jeremy. They both have the same talking points and opinions on almost everything and to me that doesn't make compelling discussion when the 2 hosts are always agreeing on everything.

As for the afternoon show Schopp can be interesting until he goes down the gambling/fantasy rabbithole. I can appreciate his contrarian view on almost everything because at least it creates interesting discussions with whoever is co-hosting with him. He's cringeworthy with callers but lets face it most of the callers are terrible.

When Howard does eventually leave they should really consider moving Bulldog to the morning show with Jeremy and move Sneaky Joe to the afternoon show with Schopp.

I like Sal but he's such a homer. It kills him when he actually has to criticize the Bills for anything and it's obvious. I'm surprised the Bills haven't hired him away form WGR for OBL.

2 minutes ago, Rhyno716 said:

I don't like the constant gambling/fantasy discussion on WGR either but since Audacy owns Betql unfortunately it's not going anywhere.

As for the morning show Howard is going to be missed when he leaves for good. The 3 day arrangement Howard made is only through football season and he will decide if he's staying or going to do something else after the season is over according to the Buffalo news article that came out after he announced his new schedule. Even though I liked Sneaky Joe on the afternoon show and the nightcap he sucks with Jeremy . I say this because he is a carbon copy of Jeremy. They both have the same talking points and opinions on almost everything and to me that doesn't make compelling discussion when the 2 hosts are always agreeing on everything.

As for the afternoon show Schopp can be interesting until he goes down the gambling/fantasy rabbithole. I can appreciate his contrarian view on almost everything because at least it creates interesting discussions with whoever is co-hosting with him. He's cringeworthy with callers but lets face it most of the callers are terrible.

When Howard does eventually leave they should really consider moving Bulldog to the morning show with Jeremy and move Sneaky Joe to the afternoon show with Schopp.

I like Sal but he's such a homer. It kills him when he actually has to criticize the Bills for anything and it's obvious. I'm surprised the Bills haven't hired him away form WGR for OBL.

Your comments here are all fair, and pretty much dead-on accurate as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I can't listen to Sal.  He's useful for reporting stuff that happened "today" over at the stadium/practice field.  He'll convey info. on what's happening right now. Anything that involves further insight or nuance he is terrible at, and he ALWAYS is pro-Bills before anything else.

I'm honestly not sure he is aware of what a journalist is supposed to be, or why it's important for him to maintain an air of neutrality with regard to the team.

I have a fear!  The future of "sports talk" is going to be 100% about gambling, all discussions will be betting related, and the intended audience will be gamblers.  If that alienates others (like you and me) they won't care...b/c that is the target they are shooting for.

I literally turn the stuff off when they bring on their "fantasy consultant" guy for a 20 minute segment, or anything similar.

I don't know how Schopp gambles as much as he does with his salary.  His wife is an attorney, that probably helps.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I gave up on that show 5 years ago..

SCHOOP WAS HIRED AS A PROFESSIONAL TROLL TO Agravate and increase listener volume. EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT and I got tired of it.

If you like that stuff, knock yourself out....

Sure, ruin it for everyone else.

While you're at, maybe you can save me watching the last 4 seasons of Breaking Bad too.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/6/2022 at 3:09 PM, GustheDog33 said:

I listen most mornings to WGR on my way to work.  Really like Jeremy and his presence on the air and with Howard transitioning out and Joe likely filling that seat, I think morning show will be strong for a while. Schoop and Bulldog are ok for me.  I definitely prefer Bulldog to Schoop, but one without the other is an immediate no go for me.  I would like to listen to Extra Point more often, but its tough while I am at work.

@gomper Why is this a Vomit for you?

• 2 weeks later...

I turned WGR on for the drive. It's just Schopp. He explains that he has 6 guests on so the only time for calls is in the first segment. He proceeds to say, "I'd like to spend the next 20 minutes talking about the Chiefs trade for Kadarius Toney." We just had stadium renderings released, the Sabres are playing tonight back from the West Coast trip, and the Bills are playing on Sunday night. One of those topics might be better to discuss. I realize that the fact that I listen is part of the problem, but this needs to get better

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Stads said:

I turned WGR on for the drive. It's just Schopp. He explains that he has 6 guests on so the only time for calls is in the first segment. He proceeds to say, "I'd like to spend the next 20 minutes talking about the Chiefs trade for Kadarius Toney." We just had stadium renderings released, the Sabres are playing tonight back from the West Coast trip, and the Bills are playing on Sunday night. One of those topics might be better to discuss. I realize that the fact that I listen is part of the problem, but this needs to get better

As soon as he said, up next I have Joe Ostrowski from Bet QL on to talk spreads I turned it off.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

As soon as he said, up next I have Joe Ostrowski from Bet QL on to talk spreads I turned it off.

I understand that gambling has a fairly prominent place in the sporting world right now. If you want that, then go listen to 1520. That's literally all they talk about. It doesn't need to also leak into the flagship station of two professional sports teams. I could see one segment a week being palatable, but we have multiple weekly fantasy/gambling guests on. I would like to phase WGR out in the afternoons. Other than the Locked on Bills podcast, what are other good options?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.