Bills and Tavon Austin mutually part ways

Steel City Mafia

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

People are so easily offended now day

Damn, I can’t find my pearls…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I thought the Giants had him? Even so if Daboll don't want him that speaks volumes. As they have David Sills at the top of their depth chart now. 

He got injured and was released back in August. He's currently listed a a free agent. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

So I’m a little curious as to why this happened more than likely he’s just gonna end up on somebody else’s practice squad

Maybe the Bills watched him in practice every day and came to the conclusion that he is not very good at this point in his career?

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, 947 said:

Tavon Austin was drafted with our #8 pick in the 2013 Draft. It was the old front office's ploy to save face by moving back, and at least not drafting EJ Manuel in the top-10 of the first round.

Tavon Austin and TJ MCdonald for EJ Manuel Kiko Alonso and Marquise Goodwin.  Kiko at least got us Shady (who played on our playoff team) so I'll call it a Bills win.   

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

What is practice squad salary? 15-20k per week?  Unless his agent has another team lined up why walk away?  At least being on a practice squad keeps him somewhat relevant. 

We will see.  

For rookies, $11,500/week.  For 2 or more accrued seasons, $15,400/week, though they can be paid more

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

What is practice squad salary? 15-20k per week?  Unless his agent has another team lined up why walk away?  At least being on a practice squad keeps him somewhat relevant. 

We will see.  

I think the min is 11K per week, not sure what he had.  He has made 40 million in the NFL, he could just be deciding its not worth his time for 11k per week.  Also, the timing with the injuries suggests he was hoping to play this week and was told that was not happening, hes making peanuts and butt hurt so he took his ball and went home.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He didn't have to quit the Bills practice squad to open himself up for opportunities. Any team could have signed him to their active roster.

Sounds like he wants to go to another teams practice squad that has a better chance of leading to him being elevated, because it’s clear we weren’t going to. 

I mean is something like this ever "mutual"?

Probably went something like this:

Austin: Coach McDermott, I filled in for Lamar so well last week I deserve a shot at WR 

McD: Well, we appreciate that and you did a great job but we want to get a look at the young guys.

Austin: I want to talk with Brandon!

Beane: Hey Tavon what's up?

Austin: I played Lamar for y'all, I think I've earned some playing time on the active roster. I need one of them big game checks Prince Emili just got.

Beane: Well, what did coach say? 

Austin: He said they were planning on giving younger guys a shot and to talk to you.

Beane: Well, I defer to him Tavon, I'm sorry but that's what it is right now.

Austin: I demand you to release me right now!

Beane: Bye Felicia!

Edited by Big Turk

5 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Takes 2 to tango - any team signing him off the PS has to keep him on the 53 for 3 weeks.  He's never played a down in the NFL and was drafted in 2020.  There are like 30-40 WRs drafted every year plus UDFA's.  There are a LOT of guys out there on Practice squads who are the exact same player as hodgins, and probably know their teams playbooks.  

Is there some evidence that Hodgins doesn't know the Bills' playbook?

pretty easy to get excited watching highlights but Roberson was wake forests top receiver.   tracks the long ball very well..good hands. (catches with his hands)...uses his length and body well when going up after balls.   

small school but one that played very well.   over 1000 yards in 21.   

4 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Is there some evidence that Hodgins doesn't know the Bills' playbook?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that @Bleeding Bills Blue meant to imply that Hodgins doesn't know the Bills playbook.

I think that he meant, every team has a Hodgins-like player stashed on their PS, who are of more interest to their respective team because they know their respective team's playbooks.

• Like (+1) 1

On the other side of this, he may have wanted to explore his options and if noting turns up, he could end up back with the team.

Having a veteran player on your practice squad and granting his release, goes a long ways for that agent (and his/her clients) and vet players in general.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.