Cole Beasley retiring

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

What I am saying for the three years he played in Buffalo he had 231 catches that is NOT easily replaced. Especially when you are hoping a rookie in Shakur produces near that level. 

I don't think the Bills were "hoping a rookie produces at that level".

If we want to talk numbers, like sheer number of catches - in 2021, Beasley had 5.1 R/G for 43.3 Y/G and 2.1 1st D/G.  In 2020, 5.5 R/G, 64.5 Y/G, 3.5 1st/G

The Bills idea has clearly been to replace Beas with a platoon of McKenzie (the speedy man-beater) and Crowder (the zone gap technician).  So far, they have 5.3 R/G, 53.3 Y/G, and 3.2 1st/G which is squarely in the territory of Beasley's production, and in fact better than he produced last year.

Now of course, Crowder is hurt, but it's notable that he has the smaller share of the snaps and numbers (1.5 R/G, 15 Y/G and 1 1st/G), so it doesn't seem too unreasonable to expect a rookie to backfill that.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

They signed him to the practice squad and he was elevated and reverted there after the GB game.  I'm not sure whether he was signed or just elevated again, point is he came to the Bucs on the practice squad.

I know.....but being elevated gives him real game checks...now that the other three receivers were back, that may have changed.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Strongly doubt that. Daboll and Schoen both knew better. 

I don't know.  The Giants need that crafty vet, always-open outlet for Jones, and having a player coach his QB what to look at is better in some ways than having a coach say the same stuff.  So it actually seems plausible to me.

People on both sides of the issue like to craft some great political docudrama about Beasley's release, but IMHO it was at its heart, a pay for production issue.  The Bills have moved on from totally apolitical inoffensive guys like John Brown who were productive the previous year because their pay vs. production no longer made sense for the team.   I believe their decision on Beasley had the same basis, based not just on what we see on the field but also on details of the GPS tracking during games and practice, their visits to the training room, the amount of pain medication they require to play etc etc

Point is the Giants are in a different place than the Bills, and having that player educator/always open outlet for Jones could be valuable for them even if they know he's lost a step.

13 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

It was a bad look for him to be relentlessly discussing a Health issue, that was unfortunately, intertwined with politics.

I didn't give a rat's @ss about his beliefs, but It's the kind of thing, (IMO) that can potentially divide a team, and I think that it was one reason, why he was let go.

I understand your point here, but that vax issue was a very hot button deal at the time.  With the approach the NFL took to it all, there was no real flying under the radar to begin with.  Lots of people did care about his beliefs and had no problem sharing their feelings with him.  In context, for some, he went from beloved and quirky 'great get' and fan favorite to being a pariah to some.  When you add in the fact that he took it personally when some fans turned on him...it was a recipe for the type of ugliness we saw.  

As for division at the team level, I always figured on a percentage basis, had the vax been optional, a high percentage of players would have forgone getting it.  I base that on the fact that a fair amount of these guys are under 30, high performing athletes, and have a willingness to expose their bodies to traumatic injury on a regular basis.   Add in a high percentage of players come from communities the expert's suggest are typically vax hesitant...I'd think what caused a lot of players to get vaxed was the money element and pressure by the league.  

In the end, I was happy when we signed CB, happy he was a Bill and thought he was damn fun to watch.  It's a shame it ended with (some) hard feelings, but it was a fun ride.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't know.  The Giants need that crafty vet, always-open outlet for Jones, and having a player coach his QB what to look at is better in some ways than having a coach say the same stuff.  So it actually seems plausible to me.

People on both sides of the issue like to craft some great political docudrama about Beasley's release, but IMHO it was at its heart, a pay for production issue.  The Bills have moved on from totally apolitical inoffensive guys like John Brown who were productive the previous year because their pay vs. production no longer made sense for the team.   I believe their decision on Beasley had the same basis, based not just on what we see on the field but also on details of the GPS tracking during games and practice, their visits to the training room, the amount of pain medication they require to play etc etc

Point is the Giants are in a different place than the Bills, and having that player educator/always open outlet for Jones could be valuable for them even if they know he's lost a step.

If they had any inkling that Beasley still had the chops to be that “crafty, always-open outlet for Jones”  they would have done it months ago. But like I said, they both knew better that his physical skills had eroded. Plus, they had a front row seat to his two month long hissy fit around the building last year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If they had any inkling that Beasley still had the chops to be that “crafty, always-open outlet for Jones”  they would have done it months ago. But like I said, they both knew better that his physical skills had eroded. Plus, they had a front row seat to his two month long hissy fit around the building last year. 

I think Beasley is sincere in not wanting to play for a NYS team, even one that plays in New Joisey.  I also think he was sincere in wanting to play for a team with a chance to compete for a championship.  But he just found out that the latter doesn't want him.

Edited by Beck Water

32 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I mean if Duke Johnson is getting touches above Singletary or Cook, I'm not in favor of that. 

If he replaces Zack Moss on gameday, ok, but he should never be necessary. 

Singletary is the clear number one. He's serviceable or better and he's got a great rapport with Allen. Duke would be the number 2 to relieve Singletary and the 3rd down back. I think he's better than Moss and way better than the rookie Cook. Especially, if you want immediate help. Cook looks like he's a project. Do the Bills have the patience and luxury to let him grow? Thus far, he's been a liability. 

34 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

It was a bad look for him to be relentlessly discussing a Health issue, that was unfortunately, intertwined with politics.

I didn't give a rat's @ss about his beliefs, but It's the kind of thing, (IMO) that can potentially divide a team, and I think that it was one reason, why he was let go.

He asked for a trade and then was released when they couldnt find someone to trade for him.    I also dont think he was discussing a "health issue" he was discussing his rights as a human not to seek proactive medical treatment.     He was the one facing backlash online and in the stadium for not allowing public opinion to sway his beliefs.  Personally I feel like that backlash was ignorant, misguided, and carried out by people who want you to fall in line with popular opinion regardless of facts.   Ironically, its generally those same people who spout off about temperance and acceptance of personal beliefs (as long as they share those same beliefs, otherwise here comes the pitchforks) 

A football team is made of people from all races, religions, and political beliefs, if the culture was bad enough to allow Cole's beliefs to alter the way they played football then the problem wasn't on Cole.   He wasnt out getting arrested, he just wasnt following public opinion, and given the way the NFL has totally backed off of the restrictions they placed on their players, he also wasnt wrong.    Bottom line is the guy was a fantastic player for the team.  He didnt divide the team.  He was let go because he asked to be let go and his decline as an athlete coupled with a more restrictive salary cap made that decision a lot easier for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I dont disagree there. I think the Bills were ready to move on based on production/health/age/cost, and Bease did his classic "You cant fire me, I quit!" routine, just like he did in Dallas, and just like he did in Tampa when their WRs came back. His ego can't handle getting cut/released/traded, so he makes up his own reasons on his way out and he and his agent send it out before the team gets a chance to simply cut him like any other player transaction.