Singletary was close to fumbling with seconds remaining

Einstein

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Never saw this angle before. Watch how close Singletary to blowing the game here. Time for a RB upgrade!

Was brought up in a couple other threads as well.

Salient points discussed were that Campbell is a bit delusional to paint that as "almost won us the game":

1) score was tied with 1:50 left and a fumble/scrum would have chewed off more clock

2) fumble recovery statistically 50/50, so Motor or another Bill might have recovered

3) let's say for the sake of argument, Ravens do recover the ball, they gotta go what, 50-60 yds in 1:30 or something and kick a FG, far from sure thing.

Bottom line, almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades - "almost missed the pick" "almost had an interception" etc etc - lots of almosts that would have influenced the game

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Honestly in my opinion it is a story. The guy is small 5’7 or so right? He has short arms. He is more vulnerable to fumbling than a guy 5’10 or taller. He is also considerably shorter than your average NFL RB don’t you think? He fumbled and lost it once last week and almost did again. I love the guy but I’m just stating facts here

some other facts .. 1) He has 1 fumble this year the same as virtually every other RB in the league.  2) Over his career he has the Bills have actually lost the ball only three times due to a fumble by Singletary. I think this is a non-issue.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

I'm not picking on you but this take is wrong. It does matter. McD will not play our 2nd round pick because of fumbles but Singletary has the 2nd highest fumble rate in the league. He has lost very few of them but that is largely luck. I need to see Cook on the field or someone else. Singletary is a liability. 

My problem with McD here is his process is BS. He is more concerned with the outcome than the process. 

This is some funny ***** right here. 

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He’s carrying the ball with two hands like he’s supposed to which prevented the fumble like it’s supposed to.  Not sure what the issue is here 

Why does he carry it so funny though? is it because he has short arms? high and tight and the other should be underneath, not across.

On the post-game radio in Baltimore, the Ravens D were saying their instructions were to strip the ball or let him score.  Everyone else decided to let him score, Oweh went for the strip.  Personally I think Singletary was on his way down anyway specifically to NOT score that early so that it would play out exactly as it did.

27 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Is this the play where the Ravens were supposed to let him score but one guy didn't get the memo?  The puncher?

Yep.

'course if he'd succeeded in achieving a COP without us scoring at all, that would have been a better result yet than us scoring with 1:45 left but there were a lot of steps between a fumble and the Ravens winning.

7 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

On the post-game radio in Baltimore, the Ravens D were saying their instructions were to strip the ball or let him score.  Everyone else decided to let him score, Oweh went for the strip.  Personally I think Singletary was on his way down anyway specifically to NOT score that early so that it would play out exactly as it did.

He was.  He ideally wanted the first down before going down, but above all to not score.

22 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Why does he carry it so funny though? is it because he has short arms? high and tight and the other should be underneath, not across.

There was a video on this a couple years ago with some of the Bills players demonstrating.  They're basically coached to put the second arm across the first in high-contact situations.  The ball should be angled differently though, back towards his elbow and not straight down (per the demo videos)

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

It does matter because you won’t always be so lucky.

People often ignore issues because of a win, until they resurface in a loss.

Like our inefficiency in short yardage situations. I created a thread about it after the first 2 wins and people said “we won!”

Well, yeah. But then we didn’t. And not being able to convert short yardage was part of the problem.

So not only do you start this travesty of a thread but you come back in and double down on it

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.