Move White to safety

Ethan in Cleveland

1 hour ago, DasNootz said:

White would be about 25 lbs undersized for a safety.  Benford would be the better option, and his hand injury would be less of a liability.

White is listed as only five pounds lighter than Hyde and is one pound heavier than Poyer. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I just thought that you’d be able to keep the physicality of Taron Johnson closer to the line, but get ability to break on footballs, instincts, and add back end speed with Tre at Safety.

If you just install Tre back at corner, then presumably it’s Tre and Dane and Taron, with Hamlin and Poyer. Kaiir and Christian on the bench. 

back end speed at safety? Isn’t one of the bases of this “move Tre to safety” argument the assumption that he may lose some of his speed coming off his injury? 

Do you even need elite speed at safety? Poyer 4.54, Hyde 4.56 (and these times were years ago.) Hamlin 4.6 and has ideal size for safety. 

you certainly do need to be a sure tackler at safety. That’s not Tre’s strength.

sorry taking just a cursory look at this idea reveals its absurdity.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

I disagree,  Reasons why:

1. Tre is a top 10 CB in the league in the prime of his career and is only 27.  Woodson moved to S only when he went to Ravens at age 34.
  2. Tre only weighs 180 lbs.  And as you noted, is not a sure tackler.  Not ideal traits for a S in Bills D.
  3. Tre has never played S in our system.  Several of the young guys, Lewis, Neal, Benford have seen reps there. 
  4. Hamlin has looked good to date and possesses ideal size, tackling and coverage ability.

Benford may be the guy to move given size (6', 205 lbs), tackling ability and demonstrated ability to learn the system.  Personally I am good with Poyer and Hamlin at S and and encouraged by the surplus at CB we will have once Tre get back.  Tre and one of Jackson, Elam or Benford at outside CB.  With Taron Johnson and Cam Lewis to play slot.  

Xavier Rhodes is a more likely conversion, if he ends up playing for us at all this year.  He is a bit older, has the size and his style of play fits the position well and past experience as a box safety. It was even originally speculated when he was coming out of college, that he would make this conversion later in his career:

"However, Rhodes does have some experience lining up n the box as a safety, and a possible move to the safety position later in his career is possible."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1612874-xavier-rhodes-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-the-florida-state-cb

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

46 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Why are we moving our best corner to safety??

Why not move jackson or benford?

Why? Oh because Tre’s hurt and coming off an injury you see. So instead of putting him back at his natural position, where you can platoon him with Elam, limit his snaps and ease him back in, you put him in at safety where he’s never played and where he’ll have to play more snaps (to keep the “weak links” like Hamlin off the field.) Make perfect sense.

Edited by JoPoy88

Wow, too much flaming away here.  If Hyde is gone, White could be a good safety opposite him.  Woodson did it, and our own Williams did it before getting injured at safety.  Yes, Tre is a top 5 CB, but are we missing anything with him not at CB currently?  Elam is  and Benford was playing fantastic.  The only issue here is that Hamlin is also playing well as a Hyde backup.  The underlying problem is that our secondary is great.  If coaches think White to safety makes sense, I'm on board.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Wow, too much flaming away here.  If Hyde is gone, White could be a good safety opposite him.  Woodson did it, and our own Williams did it before getting injured at safety.  Yes, Tre is a top 5 CB, but are we missing anything with him not at CB currently?  Elam is  and Benford was playing fantastic.  The only issue here is that Hamlin is also playing well as a Hyde backup.  The underlying problem is that our secondary is great.  If coaches think White to safety makes sense, I'm on board.  

“Woodson did it…”

“Top 5 CB, but not missing anything…”

“Problem is they’re great…”

35 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Yes, let's have a $17,000,000 a year safety. Add up the secondary salaries once our new corners become really good and have a 60 million dollar secondary.

an issue will hit if Jackson, Elam and Benford keep playing this well, we won't be able to keep all 5 with White.

Another not crazy idea: would a team trade a 1st rounder for White?  Free up money for Poyer and Edmunds.  (just throwing it out there, not sold on the rookies continuning to perform at a Tre replacement level.  But something to consider if someone offers a 1st).    

49 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

back end speed at safety? Isn’t one of the bases of this “move Tre to safety” argument the assumption that he may lose some of his speed coming off his injury? 

Do you even need elite speed at safety? Poyer 4.54, Hyde 4.56 (and these times were years ago.) Hamlin 4.6 and has ideal size for safety. 

you certainly do need to be a sure tackler at safety. That’s not Tre’s strength.

sorry taking just a cursory look at this idea reveals its absurdity.

Well the OP gave you one example of a corner that made the transition, another obvious one would be Charles Woodson. 

I don't know that I think Tre White's speed will be decreased, the whole argument in my mind is is there a way to get your 5-best DBs on the field at all times? 

Really as a reaction to Micah Hyde's season ending injury. 

Keeping White at corner will work as well, he gets up to speed without rushing, and there can be a rotation of snaps with the other two corners. 

I agree that Hamlin has looked good, and I much prefer him to the slower Jaquan Johnson. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.