Move White to safety

Ethan in Cleveland

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’ve actually thought the exact same thing.

It allows you to keep your 5 best DBs on the field at all times, and adds speed at Safety.

Johnson is entrenched at slot, and you’re not going to take Dane Jackson off the field, so it makes a lot of sense to me. 

so White should be moved around the field but Taron is “entrenched.” Why the difference? Why not try Taron all over the place too? 

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At the point that I say I would be open to it White would be about 3 months short of 30. He plays corner this year, and next year, so long as he is still physically capable there is no doubt about that. 

But beyond that as he ages you have to think about how you get your best DBs on the field together and in a situation where Elam and Benford both develop well I can see the argument for the younger legs on the outside and let Tre range in centre field. All I am saying is I would be open to it if the right circumstances arose a couple of years from now. 

The “physically capable” caveat is important. If he loses some agility and/ speed after the ACL then it probably becomes a consideration moving forward, especially if Benford and Elam continue to improve. However, it’s definitely not as big of a concern as it was 30 years ago due to medical advancements. White would probably need an off-season to add some mass though

• Like (+1) 1

It could happen, but not this early in his career I don’t think.  Tre is only 27, so I'd expect a near full recovery from the ACL, but you never know.

Once a corner's athleticism start to slip, a move to free safety is ideal.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Von Miller was an OLB and now he plays 4-3 DE. 

What?  Von is what's considered an EDGE rusher in today's terminology.  

Lawrence Taylor was technically an OLB, but was usually used to rush the QB in a 4-3 scheme.  According to your logic, LT was a DE.

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

They need to see how he looks first, and he’d need to improve his tackling.

Benford, Johnson, Jackson all could get looks at Safety this summer. Personally I think Taron Johnson would be an elite one. 

I mean, Taron is already elite at his current position but sure.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bills should seriously consider moving Tre to safety when he returns. Right now Elam and Jackson are playing well and Benford will be back soon. The weakest link on the defense is Johnson/Hamlin opposite Poyer. 

Rod Woodson did this and landed in the HOF after his knee surgery and this history indeed sways my thinking. Woodson probably makes the HOF as a CB regardless. Others have done it too - Aneas Williams was another.

Tre is a great corner but it does appear to be true that McD's system allows CBs of all skill levels to do well. Akin to an OL playing your best 5 somewhat agnostic of position, perhaps the Bills should do the same thing in the secondary with their best 4 players plus Taron Johnson at nickel.

My only hesitation for White to safety is that he has never been a great tackler in the open field. 

Hyde may never play for the Bills again given his injury and only 1 more year on his contract. Moving White to safety now and letting the rookies play CB gives them a long term plan for years to come in the secondary.

Feel free to flame away, but I look forward to what others think. 

Well that bolded part worked.

A more cautious take would be to see if Tre gets back to 100% when he takes the field.

He is still in his prime, and there are better outcomes than years past for these injuries, but if he has lost a step it could be a consideration. 

Next man up has been a consistent theme this season, so I don't think we have the luxury of assuming we will end up with too many DBs on the bench.

41 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

so White should be moved around the field but Taron is “entrenched.” Why the difference? Why not try Taron all over the place too? 

I just thought that you’d be able to keep the physicality of Taron Johnson closer to the line, but get ability to break on footballs, instincts, and add back end speed with Tre at Safety.

If you just install Tre back at corner, then presumably it’s Tre and Dane and Taron, with Hamlin and Poyer. Kaiir and Christian on the bench. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The knee injury may have sped up that timeline 

No way he moves if he is healthy. Of course if he is healthy they probably don't draft Elam in first round too.

Well when he returns he will be healthy...?

They're not brining him back injured. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.