This throw is so good, it deserves its own thread

Dablitzkrieg

On 10/5/2022 at 8:26 AM, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

My favorite Josh Allen throw so far was in the Thanksgiving game against Dallas in 2019.  We were 8-3 but everyone in the world seemed to think this was the game that would humble us.  Down 7-0 and backed up at our 2 yard line on 3rd and 10 Josh evaded pressure in the end zone and then uncorked a 20-yard line drive to Cole Beasley directly between the outstretched arms of a CB and safety.  Literally anyone else throwing the ball and it's 6 points coming back the other way.

I've always said this too. Thanksgiving was a family affair so let's just say I had to watch the game with people I don't usually watch with. It was early in Josh's career and one family member kept calling him a "big fake." 

And yes, the timing of the play was huge. Big game on national TV, down 7-0 still in the first quarter and in danger of punting out of our own endzone, almost assuring we'd go down by 2 scores early in the game. Josh made the play and I've always looked back on it as the one I remember being convinced that Josh wasn't a "big fake."

It was just different. EJ Manuel would have undoubtedly dumped it to either McKenzie at the 5 or the RB safety valve at the LOS and hoped for the best. 

Trent Edwards was very good at pre-snap decision making, dropping back 5 steps and pinpointing a perfectly timed pass. But when a team would disguise their coverage (which they did a lot of once the book was out on Trent), like showing zone pre-snap but actually blitzing and going to man at the snap, or if the coverage was just that good, Trent was lost. If Trent was the QB there, even if he did avoid the pressure, he would have undoubtedly dropped it short. Then after the game he would have repeated his favorite line about how they showed a lot of stuff we hadn't seen on film, etc.

Losman would have decided at that point to launch one to Smoke or somebody 40 yards downfield. Unfortunately, in most cases even if Smoke was open, Losman would have thrown it 45 yards. Too bad I kinda like JP and wished he had better staff and surroundings.

Anyway, Josh just gets it done. Sure, he had to learn a little bit and dial down the hero ball. But I wouldn't trade him for anything. And for me it all started with that play in Dallas. What happens when the play doesn't go as planned - which is often in this league? Many QBs struggle. A few of them just make plays anyway - timing and mechanics be damned. That's Josh Allen.

Wish I could find a vid of just that play. But it's at the 1:45 mark here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmVut-6Acp4

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:15 AM, HOUSE said:

The Throw was okay I guess but Josh was clearly off by 1 and a half inches 

Whaduyah work for PFF or something…,

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

I've always said this too. Thanksgiving was a family affair so let's just say I had to watch the game with people I don't usually watch with. It was early in Josh's career and one family member kept calling him a "big fake." 

And yes, the timing of the play was huge. Big game on national TV, down 7-0 still in the first quarter and in danger of punting out of our own endzone, almost assuring we'd go down by 2 scores early in the game. Josh made the play and I've always looked back on it as the one I remember being convinced that Josh wasn't a "big fake."

It was just different. EJ Manuel would have undoubtedly dumped it to either McKenzie at the 5 or the RB safety valve at the LOS and hoped for the best. 

Trent Edwards was very good at pre-snap decision making, dropping back 5 steps and pinpointing a perfectly timed pass. But when a team would disguise their coverage (which they did a lot of once the book was out on Trent), like showing zone pre-snap but actually blitzing and going to man at the snap, or if the coverage was just that good, Trent was lost. If Trent was the QB there, even if he did avoid the pressure, he would have undoubtedly dropped it short. Then after the game he would have repeated his favorite line about how they showed a lot of stuff we hadn't seen on film, etc.

Losman would have decided at that point to launch one to Smoke or somebody 40 yards downfield. Unfortunately, in most cases even if Smoke was open, Losman would have thrown it 45 yards. Too bad I kinda like JP and wished he had better staff and surroundings.

Anyway, Josh just gets it done. Sure, he had to learn a little bit and dial down the hero ball. But I wouldn't trade him for anything. And for me it all started with that play in Dallas. What happens when the play doesn't go as planned - which is often in this league? Many QBs struggle. A few of them just make plays anyway - timing and mechanics be damned. That's Josh Allen.

Wish I could find a vid of just that play. But it's at the 1:45 mark here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmVut-6Acp4

The funny thing is I've watched those game highlights so many times that I knew it was 1:45.  Other big moment of that game for Josh was picking up the fumbled snap on 4th & 1 and willing himself to the first down.  Overall this was probably the most important regular season win of the McD/Beane/Allen tenure.  I think it's the last time that games against good teams were assumed to be losses for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:55 AM, Big Turk said:

The bigger the moment, the better Josh is usually.

Except on 4th and Goal on the throw to McKenzie last week...but that was under extreme circumstances. I'll give him a mulligan for that.

I still think Josh’s wrist or hand was hurt before that final Miami series and it was something he would never blame or say. That throw was the exact same throw he was perfect on in the Ravens game at the end of the half. 

55 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I still think Josh’s wrist or hand was hurt before that final Miami series and it was something he would never blame or say. That throw was the exact same throw he was perfect on in the Ravens game at the end of the half. 

Pretty sure his mechanics are very different, though. Can't force a hand injury explanation when a simple, observable fundamental flaw in throwing mechanics explains it already. He rushed it badly on the miss.

On 10/6/2022 at 4:32 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I remember this play when watching the game …. 

Is this peak JA or can he still get better ?

He can get wiser. Think about how Rodgers and Brady only get a few interceptions a year. Experience will teach him to make better decisions and not overexert himself at all times (running into DTs when we're blowing teams out). 

And eventually there is the lesson all championship/dynasties learn in every sport. Win in the regular season but save all your extra energy for the playoffs. Even if that means taking the L when it's not meant to be (aka the Dolphins game). Lose the battle if it's going to hurt you when winning the war aka phyrric victory. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.