Lamar Jackson 3rd and Goal run. What is he doing?

Sammy Watkins' Rib

Everyone has been focused on the fourth and goal play. After watching some highlights of the goal line stand I kept going back to the 3rd and goal play. In a got to have it moment it is just an absolutely terrible run. What happens here? Does he get tripped up over his own feet? Or is he making a business decision. I know Lamar isn't 6'5" 240 but that's 6'0" 200lb Damar Hamlin that is in his way. Why doesn't Lamar try to power his way through? Worst case scenario he would probably get inside the one yard line or down to the half yard line. 

Also, watching some of Jalen Hurts runs, he's a guy that like Allen would try to bully his way into the end zone in a got to have it situation. Hurts is listed an inch shorter than Lamar and is therefore a little thicker but not much. And supposedly Lamar put on about 20 pounds of muscle this off-season. 

Just found this play fascinating. I can't tell if he gets tripped up over his own feet after trying to do a little shake or if he goes down intentionally on his own not just well short of the end zone but well short of the defender. Either way, ditch the shimmy and shake and just bull your way in there. 

You can go to the 9:50 mark of the video to see the 3rd down play.

https://youtu.be/a_xvUuFHotQ?t=589

L.Jackson-1.jpg

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Everyone has been focused on the fourth and goal play. After watching some highlights of the goal line stand I kept going back to the 3rd and goal play. In a got to have it moment it is just an absolutely terrible run. What happens here? Does he get tripped up over his own feet? Or is he making a business decision. I know Lamar isn't 6'5" 240 but that's 6'0" 200lb Damar Hamlin that is in his way. Why doesn't Lamar try to power his way through? Worst case scenario he would probably get inside the one yard line or down to the half yard line. 

Also, watching some of Jalen Hurts runs, he's a guy that like Allen would try to bully his way into the end zone in a got to have it situation. Hurts is listed an inch shorter than Lamar and is therefore a little thicker but not much. And supposedly Lamar put on about 20 pounds of muscle this off-season. 

Just found this play fascinating. I can't tell if he gets tripped up over his own feet after trying to do a little shake or if he goes down intentionally on his own not just well short of the end zone but well short of the defender. Either way, ditch the shimmy and shake and just bull your way in there. 

L.Jackson-1.jpg

I think his right leg tripped on his linemen when he was breaking through the line.  Tough to tell but if you put it in slow speed you can see at least a little leg stutter.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think his right leg tripped on his linemen when he was breaking through the line.  Tough to tell but if you put it in slow speed you can see at least a little leg stutter.

There is a lot of leg stutter but I went back and looked and I don't believe he gets tripped up on a lineman. 

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

There is a lot of leg stutter but I went back and looked and I don't believe he gets tripped up on a lineman. 

Yeah its tough to tell.  If he stumbled there it would explain it as him losing balance and that is why he went down. The only other explanation I could see is if it really was a business decision and he knew he wasnt going to make it.  I dont think the dude is a good QB but he is an amazing athlete and I would expect that he would try to juke some shoes there normally but I dunno.  Wish we had an endzone angle on it.  Could probably tell for sure then.

He is who we thought he was….and he let us off the hook!!!!😎

You say LJ vs JA and I say: 

Not physically punishing like JA ( which is an attitude backed up by physicality)

Doesn’t throw well outside the hashes….still.

As with the Miami game, we were losing the game, they weren’t winning it. When we decided to turn it on we were the better team…. With the better QB

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah its tough to tell.  If he stumbled there it would explain it as him losing balance and that is why he went down. The only other explanation I could see is if it really was a business decision and he knew he wasnt going to make it.  I dont think the dude is a good QB but he is an amazing athlete and I would expect that he would try to juke some shoes there normally but I dunno.  Wish we had an endzone angle on it.  Could probably tell for sure then.

They may have gotten in his head a bit. He and Dobbins weren’t really able to juke effectively in the second half which lead to additional hits. He may have just decided to cut the loss, not risk a fumble, and move on to the next play. Only person who really knows is Jackson. 🤷‍♂️ 

Personally - I think when Jackson was pressured on the pass rush - he thought he was going to break through with an easy pass to the end zone.  Hamlin read the play and was super aggressive in attacking the LOS and I think that caught Jackson by surprise.

I think Jackson then looked to bust to his right away from Hamlin and saw Poyer coming to that side.

He then stutter steps and looks to cut back - hoping Hamlin over pursues, but catches a toe and sort of stumbles down.

I mostly think he was not expecting the speed and athleticism of the 2 safeties to come up and be in position to stop him and that got his feet out moving his head in a crucial spot and down he goes.  

I also believe his previous run - which got them to the 10 - he outflanked Edmunds and did that little stop to let Edmunds over pursue and cut off that and he got drilled by Milano flying in as Edmunds stayed in position.  I think he had that in his mind as he saw Hamlin coming and Poyer to the right side and again his brain got ahead of his feet and he tripped himself up.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

L.Jackson-1.jpg

and in ever still you can find you see the Ravens OL holding like crazy. the OL has his hand under the defenders arm and holding him.

37 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Running over guys isn’t Lamar’s game. He avoids big hits, doesn’t take them on. When he realized he wasn’t going to score he got down

Anyone who doesn't realize this did not watch the game. He's a very good QB, but he is not going to put his body on the line. Think about the sideline play where we tried to extend the ball past the first down marker. That's just one of several examples from that game. He is going to go down or OOB to avoid a hit and it doesn't seem to matter "how important" a particular first down would be. That's not in stark contrast to many other QBs, but it is when you're on the same field with Allen. Is he a kitty? No. Is he protecting his assets? Yes.

Edited by Beerball

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

L.Jackson-1.jpg

I was Monday Morning QBing this with some Ravens fans.  I also said the 3rd down play was the big play.  My sense is he slipped on the wet turf.  The play was a designed pass and he ran late.  Looking at this pix, a WR is alone on the "V".  But my guess was that was only after he decided to run.

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

L.Jackson-1.jpg

Honestly, I don't think there was much of a chance for him there. Even if he tries to bulldoze his way in I don't think they are letting him get in

6 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Who knows ESPN keeps telling me he’s the bestest and should make more than Josh Allen 🤮

He will make more than Josh because he wants the stash and he is signing two years later UNLESS he gets hurt which explains his desire to protect himself

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.