How is a new RB going to make a difference behind this OL?

JohnNord

I’ve seen many Bills fans clamoring to trade for a new running back.   I think that the bigger issue is that the offensive line just doesn’t win matchups.  

Watch how easily other teams are able to pick up 2-3 yards on 3rd and 1 and the Bills struggle to get 1 yard.  In fact, the Bills OL is by far the worst run blocking unit in the league.  

So how is a running back going to fix that?  

Unless your running back is going to break a run like Saquon Barkley after getting hit in the backfield, I don’t see how a new RB is going to fix the problems on the offensive line.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The O-line has underperformed, but they's a chance it could gel like it did late last year. Kromer brought a new scheme so it might take them some time to adjust. I wouldn't rule out a trade for an interior lineman.

I can really see an off-season where kromer works with Beane to get some linemen that fit his scheme better. I want to see at least 2 OL in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

I don’t see him as a bell cow RB, but a great option in a RBBC type of situation. I hope we extend him. He would be a big loss if he leaves.

We don’t need a bell cow RB. I don’t want a bell cow RB either. I want someone that can make people miss and make a play. Singletary has shown that ability.

Their short yardage issues IMO is a scheming issue. They suck on short yardage because they’re predictable.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’ve seen many Bills fans clamoring to trade for a new running back.   I think that the bigger issue is that the offensive line just doesn’t win matchups.  

Watch how easily other teams are able to pick up 2-3 yards on 3rd and 1 and the Bills struggle to get 1 yard.  In fact, the Bills OL is by far the worst run blocking unit in the league.  

Unless your running back is going to break a run like Saquon Barkley after getting hit in the backfield, I don’t see how a new RB is going to fix the problems on the offensive line.  

a guy that can run inside with power, make guys miss with quickness and win around the edge with speed would make a difference. 

The bills have one of each of the above no guy that can do any two or all three.

it could make a difference 

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

We would have to learn new jersey numbers. I was hoping I was done with that. 

In order to have an effective running game, you have to stick with it. Running is much less efficient than passing. You will punt more. You will have more plays for negative yardage. Everyone raves about Saquon Barkley’s year, but his 146 yards last game against the Bears took 33 carries. They only had 16 passing attempts. If a QB had 146 yards passing on 33 attempts, he would get benched.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

In order to have an effective running game, you have to stick with it. Running is much less efficient than passing. You will punt more. You will have more plays for negative yardage. Everyone raves about Saquon Barkley’s year, but his 146 yards last game against the Bears took 33 carries. They only had 16 passing attempts. If a QB had 146 yards passing on 33 attempts, he would get benched.

Part of our problem is we are a shotgun offense. We don’t do a whole lot under center in running formations. I think we’re very predictable in our run game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Part of our problem is we are a shotgun offense. We don’t do a whole lot under center in running formations. I think we’re very predictable in our run game.

I’m too lazy to look, but I’d love to know our percentage of shotgun vs the rest of the league. I’m trying to get a grip on how we sit as opposed to the rest. Curious.  🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s not even the OL. We literally had the same conversations last year. What changed late last year when they started running better? I don’t know. They’ll be fine on offense though.

Everyone always wants to blame the OL. IT’s everything. 

Allen started running more.  

That’s the answer.  That’s why we ran better.  He opened everything up.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Both Motor and Moss lack the elite vision to see the cutback lanes that could lead to big runs.  They tend to follow their blocks until they get swallowed up.  

The problem with our run game is mediocre running backs and awful run blockers. This isn't a one or the other argument.  I think Dorsey realizes this obvious flaw and has cleverly decided to make the dump offs our run attack. It would take time to overhaul both deficiencies. 

• Dislike 1

Singletary is undersized and one of the least athletic RBs in the league.

Don't hit that disagree reaction, it's a measured indisputable fact. 

DS-2177.png

We lack explosion at the position massively at a position where athleticism matters most. We lack size, strength, and athleticism at the position, real bad combo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

Do we even really have an offensive problem?  We’re 5th in the league in scoring, 3rd in yards, fewest punts in the NFL, etc.  This includes playing in the rain one game, a sauna another, starters playing less than three quarters in another.  They can pass all day for all I care, it’s more exciting anyway!  At this point, my biggest concern is the team staying healthy.

22 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Singletary is undersized and one of the least athletic RBs in the league.

Don't hit that disagree reaction, it's a measured indisputable fact. 

DS-2177.png

We lack explosion at the position massively at a position where athleticism matters most. We lack size, strength, and athleticism at the position, real bad combo. 

They drafted athleticism and speed but don’t feel comfortable using him.

Singletary was top 10 in yard after contact last year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.