Goal Line Stand vs Ravens

ArtVandalay

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, when I looked at the replay and saw that it was Shaq instead of Miller on that side, I wondered about it, too. 

Players have different skill sets.  Defenders are put on the field based on the offensive package on the field, down and distance, time of game, lots of factors.  In that situation, it was essential that the edge rushers contain Jackson - in fact, containing Jackson was more important than sacking him, although a sack would have been nice.  So, the question was who are the two best edge rushers who maintain edge discipline?   The answer was Lawson and Rousseau, and they did what they were supposed to do.  Jackson kept dropping because he could see that he couldn't get to the edge on either side. 

Why pay all that money for a guy you take off the field on the biggest play of the game?   Because in the other 16 games of the season, the quarterback will not be Lamar Jackson, so edge protection won't be as important as getting to the QB.  So, in those 16 games, Miller will be on the field.   

The Bills wanted Miller because he can rush the passer, not because he can set the edge.  The Bills were not going to spend the summer trying to make Miller into a premier edge-protection guy.   That would be like trading for Tyreek Hill and making him your slot receiver.  

No I get it bro. People just assume that Von was on the field during the play. Yes Shaq is the better edge contain defender and at the end of the day is Von is the man and I never questioned about paying Von but it still take balls for the coaching staff to tell him we dont need you on this play in the clutch. That was just my observation

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Thanks for your insight. As a fan, there is so much that we don’t see because the game is so complicated. And to support your point, Baldy noted the same thing in his breakdown of the play. Still photos of plays often show guys as being way more open than they actually are.

Just an FYI, I didnt form my opinion based on a still photo.  I took the still photo.  The guy was uncovered from the snap.  You can barely post a picture here because the max file size is 204 kb and I had to reduce the image from 144 resolution down to 18 just to post it.. much less a video clip. 

55 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Lawson apparently had the 3rd highest snap count at DE behind Miller and Rousseau. More than AJE and more than Boogie. 

Thats because the one of the things he is good at is setting the edge and playing contain.

Edited by Scott7975

12 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I think Lamar Jackson is being let off the hook here. He backpedaled and threw a floater off his back foot. We can recognize that Poyer (he sure did!) made a great play and we can debate the Harbaugh call. However, a veteran QB panicked and threw a prayer that got intercepted. I put that on Jackson.

If I was Jackson I would've ran around Lawson on that 4th down play and walked into the end zone .there was no one on the left side of the field 

On that crucial 2nd down run loss, 93, Bryant made a phenomenal swim move, took on 3 OL and allowed Milano the opportunity to make a huge play.

Guys doing their 1/11th

Saw a video breaking it down on Twitter but can't find it now

5 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

If I was Jackson I would've ran around Lawson on that 4th down play and walked into the end zone .there was no one on the left side of the field 

Lawson had a great angle though. Not sure if Lamar pulls that off

10 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

No I get it bro. People just assume that Von was on the field during the play. Yes Shaq is the better edge contain defender and at the end of the day is Von is the man and I never questioned about paying Von but it still take balls for the coaching staff to tell him we dont need you on this play in the clutch. That was just my observation

Oh, cool.  I missed the point of your observation, and it was a good one.  It was one of those little coaching details that we often miss or don't understand. 

It DID take some balls to keep him on the sideline, from many different perspectives.   First, just as the coach, you're always thinking you want your best players on the field, so why not Miller?  Second, Miller may come to him and ask, "Coach, why aren't I in?   Put me in!"  You have to be able to deal with that.   Third, suppose Jackson had taken a normal drop, looked around while Shaq was tied up with the offensive tackle, and thrown a touchdown pass.  For the next day or week or more, people would have been saying McDermott and Frazier blew it and maybe even calling for someone's job.  (After all, Miller showed in the playoffs last season and late in the Dolphins game that when you want to pressure the QB, there's none better.)

Instead, they were looking at a situation they had prepared for during the week, when the pressure wasn't on and when they could actually think about who the best players were to have on the field.  Then, when the time came, they knew what to do.  And as we watched the play unfold, I wasn't asking, "Where's Miller?"   I was thinking, "We have Jackson contained."   

And, if you really want to pass the credit around, let's give a nod to Beane for getting a guy he knew was an edge protector but who still could get after the QB.  He already had one in Rousseau, and Shaq was the perfect matching bookend.  Not AJ, not Boogie, not even Von Miller.  So, during the week, when the coaches were talking about who they wanted on the field in the red zone with the game on the line, they looked down the bench and called Shaq's number.  

I love this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.