Allen is the Bills only short yardage option

Inigo Montoya

41 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

When you think about it Singletary would be perfect for short yardage because he's a smallish back that can slip through the oline, and has more than enough power to his game.

This is why I still don't trust McD, horrendous personel decisions and yes your are right about Zack Moss being terrible at everything. It's simply time to move on and make him inactive or just release him.

Part of the problem is that Moss runs too upright.  Singletary is better in those situations since he can get low and really drive forward with his legs.

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Part of the problem is that Moss runs too upright.  Singletary is better in those situations since he can get low and really drive forward with his legs.

That's my point, he's actually the better short yardage option for that reason alone which makes Moss usage even more puzzling. Hopefully we don't have to talk about Zack Moss much longer.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Allen is almost impossible to stop on short yardage when he rolls out.  I think Dorsey has been trying to get the backs involved in short yardage, and Moss seemed to do well with it in the preseason, but during the regular season the backs are getting stoned in the backfield.  The O-line is just not getting any push at all and we are more likely to lose a yard than gain one when the backs get the handoff.

It was 4th and 1 at the Ravens 26 yard line yesterday.  Josh rolled out to his left and there were defenders there prepared for the roll out and it looked like he might get tackled for a loss.  Josh did some of his shifty Elvis hips stuff and managed to cut the ball up avoiding the defenders and got 4 yards and the 1st down.  Josh is way to big to be as slippery as he is running the ball.   Even if a defender gets his hands on Josh he can usually bull forward and drag the defender for a yard or two.   Allen's speed, agility, and strength make him very hard to bring down when he gets a head of steam moving along the line of scrimmage and then decides to cut it up.

These Allen roll outs were the most successful method for the team to convert short yardage last season, and despite Dorsey's best efforts, were in the same boat again this year.  It's not optimal to have our QB be the short yardage back too, but when the Bills really need to move the ball a yard, rolling Allen out is the best option.  

If you're talking about the Naked Bootleg in the redzone it was actually a designed pass.

Watching the John Fina Podcast called Off Tackle again today and his breakdowns are very interesting...

Basically from what he is saying, we currently suck at inside zone blocking that we are trying to do because the players are making technical mistakes in the play in terms of who they are supposed to be blocking or not fully executing their assignments properly(ie, Saffold is supposed to help chip the player lined up across from him before he pulls because Dawkins has no prayer of reaching him to block him otherwise and he doesn't, leading to Singletary being tackled for a loss instead of having a huge lane to run through if it was executed properly).

To be honest, this isn't overly surprising with us changing the running scheme this year coupled with us not running very often for them to get real reps.

I would expect them to get better as the year goes on.

Would highly recommend if you want to get breakdowns by Fina of technical aspects of the run game and why things aren't working as well as they could be,

Edited by Big Turk

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Watching the John Fina Podcast called Off Tackle again today and his breakdowns are very interesting...

Basically from what he is saying, we currently suck at inside zone blocking that we are trying to do because the players are making technical mistakes in the play in terms of who they are supposed to be blocking or not fully executing their assignments properly(ie, Saffold is supposed to help chip the player lined up across from him before he pulls because Dawkins has no prayer of reaching him to block him otherwise and he doesn't, leading to Singletary being tackled for a loss instead of having a huge lane to run through if it was executed properly).

To be honest, this isn't overly surprising with us changing the running scheme this year coupled with us not running very often for them to get real reps.

I would expect them to get better as the year goes on.

Would highly recommend if you want to get breakdowns by Fina of technical aspects of the run game and why things aren't working as well as they could be,

To be fair we ran a bunch of zone scheme stuff early on last year too and sucked at it. Once we switched over to more gap scheme stuff we started being able to run the ball more effectively.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

To be fair we ran a bunch of zone scheme stuff early on last year too and sucked at it. Once we switched over to more gap scheme stuff we started being able to run the ball more effectively.

Yeah I remember that...what do you think the issue is?  I remember Kromer ran the zone blocking scheme when he was here last time and there were plays where it looked like the RB had 4 holes to pick from that would all be big gains. That was back when TD Mike Gillislee seemingly would come in the game and rip off a huge run once a game and wouldn't even be touched until he was like 30 yards downfield.   Believe the Bills led the league in rushing once and maybe twice during those years.

I find it hard to believe he just forgot how to run the scheme or coach the players how to run it properly.  It seems to me the players jus aren't very good at executing the fundamentals of it or there are a few responsibilities on a play(ie, Saffold chipping a blocker first to allow Dawkins to get to make a reach block) and they either forget the first part of what they are having to do or they are just making fundamental errors when executing it.  If I not mistaken Zone Blocking kinda requires the entire OL to block in unison or it doesn't work right, correct?  Much more so than a man on man scheme where a player can miss a block but the play can be successful because they are running away from that side.

Edited by Big Turk

32 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah I remember that...what do you think the issue is?  I remember Kromer ran the zone blocking scheme when he was here last time and there were plays where it looked like the RB had 4 holes to pick from that would all be big gains. That was back when TD Mike Gillislee seemingly would come in the game and rip off a huge run once a game and wouldn't even be touched until he was like 30 yards downfield.   Believe the Bills led the league in rushing once and maybe twice during those years.

I find it hard to believe he just forgot how to run the scheme or coach the players how to run it properly.  It seems to me the players jus aren't very good at executing the fundamentals of it or there are a few responsibilities on a play(ie, Saffold chipping a blocker first to allow Dawkins to get to make a reach block) and they either forget the first part of what they are having to do or they are just making fundamental errors when executing it.  If I not mistaken Zone Blocking kinda requires the entire OL to block in unison or it doesn't work right, correct?  Much more so than a man on man scheme where a player can miss a block but the play can be successful because they are running away from that side.

Yeah, everyone is essentially on 45 degree angle tracks to the play side. They all have to work in unison in order to work through their covered, to uncovered, to backside backer rules. Since I'm in season right now I haven't been able to really look all that closely into it, but just based on our personnel we're undersized for what we're trying to do. There's been a few times I've seen us not hold the double long enough for the other OL to overtake the block as well.

23 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I am uncertain why they don't sneak it more. Anybody know the answer? 

They did it for the 1st down that led to the FG for the win in Bal, so I don't know why they don't.  Josh is a big, tall guy.  I don't know why they don't think he can pick up a yard in goal line situations.  Run it back to back to back plays if you have to.  Stopping that play from getting a yard multiple times is a tall order for any defense.

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Give Josh the option of running or throwing like the TD to Knox in the WC playoff game in 2020.  We can't run up the middle...no sense in going to the jumbo package.

The jumbo package late last year with Doyle at TE was very effective. Of course, that's no longer an option, at least as far as Doyle is concerned.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Which is why it is slightly odd that they have hire Kromer to come back and run the zone scheme again. It is like they are obsessed with it and even though the gap scheme worked better for us they immediately binned that in the offseason to go back to zone blocking. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Which is why it is slightly odd that they have hire Kromer to come back and run the zone scheme again. It is like they are obsessed with it and even though the gap scheme worked better for us they immediately binned that in the offseason to go back to zone blocking. 

It is confusing. You wish there was a Bills' reporter smart enough to explicitly ask them about their thinking in that respect.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It is confusing. You wish there was a Bills' reporter smart enough to explicitly ask them about their thinking in that respect.

So, at what point are you McD here and finally come to the realization that what they're currently doing is just not going to cut it?

Is it something he would be scared to do midseason because of all the potential ramifications?

Do you think he thinks it's just a matter of time before this OL gels and believes it will come together?  

Or is McD just stubborn and will not change his ways no matter if it's abundantly clear the current gameplan isn't working?

23 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Groot was a WR in high school, give him a handoff and let's see if he can plow forward for a 1st down. 

Justin Zimmer, our new short yardage RB, 

Just now, Billz4ever said:

So, at what point are you McD here and finally come to the realization that what they're currently doing is just not going to cut it?

Is it something he would be scared to do midseason because of all the potential ramifications?

Do you think he thinks it's just a matter of time before this OL gels and believes it will come together?  

Or is McD just stubborn and will not change his ways no matter if it's abundantly clear the current gameplan isn't working?

I don't really know, obviously, but it seems to me they changed personnel and method late in the season last year. Oline play demonstrably improved and so did the run game. So, I take from that McD is willing to make a midseason change. Maybe they think the current strategy will improve with reps, though I am skeptical. Of course, what would really help is more talent on the oline. I hope it is a priority next year, though probably they'll be looking at safety in the first round knowing their proclivities.

23 hours ago, Magox said:

This is a real problem fand  is the only true weakness on this team but a potentially costly one.

I have very little confidence that on short yardage situations that the team can get the push that it needs to consistently get first downs running the ball with their RB's.   They either have to somehow get this fixed during the course of the year or look at alternative ways to get the yards needed.   Having Allen does afford a lot of other viable alternatives but having your meats and potatoes approach of smashing it ahead for a yard or two should be your #1 option and without that option it can create problems.

I'm certain in the offseason the Bills will draft a couple O-linemen in the early to early mid round picks but have to figure out a way around it for this year.

This is exactly where I'm at on the running game.

I'm OK with us not being a run-heavy team, or even a somewhat balanced team.  I think we can continue to be a successful offense with the current run/pass ratio.  My only worry is that our O-Line's lack of consistent push kills us on a short-yardage situation at some point in the future.  At some point, we may be lined up in a crucial 4th-1 or 4th-2 (like the Titans last season).  I'm not confident we can pick it up.

Last year, we struggled to run in all situations... even when teams showed very light boxes and dared us.  We've done a slightly better job with that so far this year, and broken off a couple nice plays with Devin Singletary.  I was optimistic after the Rams game.  But it's gotten more troublesome with each ensuing game, and our inability to get anything going on short-yardage without Josh Allen running the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.