Bills once again tops in the league at 4th down decision making

Logic

Another year, another spot at the top of the 4th down decision making rankings (2nd tweet). And heck, they’re also quite good at converting 1st downs (1st tweet).

It’s almost as if Sean McDermott is actually pretty good at coaching, despite what the “trends” are telling us 😉

• Like (+1) 1

Those decisions have NOTHING to do with McDermott, thank God.

But yes, as an organization, we have gotten good at this stuff.

McDermott's staff used to be TERRIBLE at all of this sort of thing.

What impressed me MOST in Baltimore was our use of clock to close out the game.

It was handled perfectly; that is a huge improvement for this staff too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah you're right... McDermott didn't build up a top notch analytics staff... he had nothing to do with that despite having total control over football operations. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

he didn't?  why?  i honestly don't know why he wouldn't be.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think he leads that parade.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Do we have a different Head Coach and no one told me?

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He's literally preached looking at your weak points and improving every ***** week.

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Gameday decisions start and stop with the head coach.  If he put others in place to help him make the right decisions, he still gets credit as he should.  If his instincts are bad (I think this is what you think) he could overrule the others who are helping him, but he does not, in the end, they are HIS decisions.   Nothing to do with McDermott is a ridiculous statement.

15 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Interesting stats from the same source:

Pass Protection and Run Blocking.

Pass Rush and Run Defense.

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1577303770589024267?s=20&t=UxjMAbkSXEk7RNUKsYv-8A

81382527-756D-4926-9932-6D93FDF64360.jpeg

I guess Kromer has not had magical affects on these guys.  OL is something that can improve during the course of the season, communication among the OL and scheme changes can be adjusted.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Wow.  That run blocking graph…..LOL

Did you ever see that old Steve Martin SNL bit "If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season"? 

Well, anyway....my one wish this holiday season would be that the Bills' top offseason priority would be to build a premiere offensive line. They could literally spend their first three draft picks on offensive linemen and I would be thrilled.

For as good as Josh Allen has been so far in his career....imagine if he had an offensive line as good as Mahomes has. Imagine if he had a running game he could depend on. 

I know there are only so many resources to go around, but my god, I can't think of anything that would help this team more than finally taking the offensive line seriously. If it's an issue of money, then fine, just use a few premium draft picks on linemen and have cost controlled options there for the next four years.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Did you ever see that old Steve Martin SNL bit "If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season"? 

Well, anyway....my one wish this holiday season would be that the Bills' top offseason priority would be to build a premiere offensive line. They could literally spend their first three draft picks on offensive linemen and I would be thrilled.

For as good as Josh Allen has been so far in his career....imagine if he had an offensive line as good as Mahomes has. Imagine if he had a running game he could depend on. 

I know there are only so many resources to go around, but my god, I can't think of anything that would help this team more than finally taking the offensive line seriously. If it's an issue of money, then fine, just use a few premium draft picks on linemen and have cost controlled options there for the next four years.

It’s a BIG issue of money.  So much so that we will be losing pro bowl players this year. Ed will want a huge contract and he’s not even a FA.  We currently sit 4.7M OVER the cap.  If we spent our first 3 picks on OL I’d cry.  I agree that I would love to upgrade our OL, but drafting rookie OL in rd 1-3 doesn’t necessarily upgrade anything.  It could be worse.  

free agents- 

Poyer

Edmunds

Morse

Saffold

phillips 

singletary

crowder

quessenberry

shaq

kumerow

matakavich

van roten

sam martin

Andre smith

tawian jones

Ike

RFA-

Dane

dodson

cam lewis

jaquan

sweeney

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s a BIG issue of money.  So much so that we will be losing pro bowl players this year. Ed will want a huge contract and he’s not even a FA.  We currently sit 4.7M OVER the cap.  If we spent our first 3 picks on OL I’d cry.  I agree that I would love to upgrade our OL, but drafting rookie OL in rd 1-3 doesn’t necessarily upgrade anything.  It could be worse.  

free agents- 

Poyer

Edmunds

Morse

Saffold

phillips 

singletary

crowder

quessenberry

shaq

kumerow

matakavich

van roten

sam martin

Andre smith

tawian jones

Ike

RFA-

Dane

dodson

cam lewis

jaquan

sweeney

Fair enough.

At the risk of sounding like ScottLaw...I'd be willing to sacrifice elsewhere on the roster if it meant upgrading our offensive line. I recognize that that would mean losing some defensive firepower. However, I trust this coaching staff to develop defensive players more than I trust them to develop offensive linemen. 

Obviously it's important to keep our defense top notch. It also seems important, though, to keep Josh Allen healthy and upright and to find a way for him to not have to account for 80+% of the offensive production every week.

No easy answers, and I'm glad I'm not GM, but...I just can't shake the notion of wondering what Josh Allen and this Bills offense could look like if they actually employed a top notch o-line. One wonders if the opportunity cost of that theoretical increase in offensive production would be worth the loss of production the defense would suffer by losing a key player or two.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.