Tremaine Must Remain

MarlinTheMagician

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Okay I'm not against re-signing him but we already invested in Milano. Right now we have a black hole at Safety next year with Poyer possibly in his last season, and Hyde with a neck injury. That position needs to be invested in. 

The Bills need to upgrade 

Safety

RB

Guard/Tackle (whichever you prefer)

Have to re-sign Ed Oliver for sure. Could Beane work some magic and make it all fit sure but paying another LB 10+ Million dollars when we need to actually give Allen some protection would be nice. 

The only nit I'd pick here is setting the list as:

Guard/Center

Safety

RB

Our tackles are decent. Morse is good but he isnt balanced enough to help create a run game when we need that short yardage.

Josh Allen's cap hit is going from 16mm this year to 40mm next year. 

There are going to be cap casualties.

I appreciate that Edmunds has stepped up his game this season (so far) but I just don't see it working out cap wise next year. You can always play cap shenanigans, but I don't think it's wise to do so for him. 

The only way I can see keeping him if he signs at a large discount and exceptionally cap friendly deal. 

They aren't going to be able to replace Edmunds' coverage skills. If he goes, they're going to need to draft another freakish LB high in the first round to play the same role on defense and Bills fans will complain the same about that guy. They drafted Bernard to replace Milano. That's the type of guy you can keep churning through the mill. 

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

They aren't going to be able to replace Edmunds' coverage skills. If he goes, they're going to need to draft another freakish LB high in the first round to play the same role on defense and Bills fans will complain the same about that guy. They drafted Bernard to replace Milano. That's the type of guy you can keep churning through the mill. 

Milano is one of the best linebackers in the league. He'll be here through at least one more 4-5 year deal. Hell, he could probably play Edmunds spot if needed.

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

Offer the Milano contract.  He takes it or let him try the FA market where he will most likely find a better deal.  Then draft his replacement - a LB should be available at 31 (no dolphins pick) since MLB has been devalued to some extent.

A LB with Edmunds' traits will not be available at 31. 6'6", 250, with sideline-to-sideline range, are you kidding? That type of guy has not been devalued. Like others have said, look at the contracts Darius Leonard, Fred Warner signed. Devalued my ass. There are arguably 3 LBs in the top 20 prospects for 2023 right now.

The Bills would need to trade up

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Milano is one of the best linebackers in the league. He'll be here through at least one more 4-5 year deal. Hell, he could probably play Edmunds spot if needed.

Think about your theory and ask yourself why the Bills haven't simply swapped them.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The Edmunds vs. Oliver debate is a false one.  We will sign them both - you heard it here first.  They keep their own.  But I believe there is zero doubt we would miss Edmunds more than Oliver, who I also want them to sign.  He does so much more in the defense.

Edmunds vs. Milano is also a false debate.  Perhaps Milano is outperforming his contract, but he signed at a different time under different circumstances and plays a different position.

5 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I don't think there has been a Bills player that has been more polarizing on this board, or in the fan base, since 2018.  I too have been frustrated with the failures on run fits and the apparent lack of instinct blitzing and against the run.  Starting now, I officially swear off on all of that.  Having watched him closely this year, I am an unrepentant Edmunds fan.  We need to sign him.  While he gets plenty of attention from opposing coaches and national media, I think he is somewhat unsung and definitely under-appreciated by The Mafia.  He is a huge difference maker and has really upped his game.  We need to find the money, as he is a key piece of the core.  One of my favorite Twitter posts was by a Rams fan after the opener:  "The Bills defense is unfair.  They have an actual Terdactyl playing middle linebacker."   We owe this player some love.

Its easy to say “sign him” but what value do you put on him in terms of contract? That’s the real issue. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.