Tremaine Must Remain

MarlinTheMagician

43 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Since 2018:

Milano - 5 INT, 1 FF, 9.0 sacks, 41 TFL

Edmunds - 4 INT, 2 FF, 6.5 sacks, 30 TFL

Wow what a huge difference! Not having same impact as an elite WLB (who is allowed to play with more freedom) doesn’t mean a player doesn’t make an impact.

DON'T CONFUSE US WITH FACTS!!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Frazier wanting him to take a next step and generate more splash plays does not mean Frazier does not realize his value or doesn't want him for the defense.  I have seen him speak out strongly for Tremaine several times.

That’s not even the point I was making. 

My entire point is that Edmunds isn’t worth top LB money because he doesn’t make enough big plays to consistently impact games. Frazier made it a point to say that he wants to see more splash plays from him too. 

Frazier I’m sure likes Edmunds and appreciates what he does for his defense. He also speaks very highly of a lot of players, mediocre ones included. 

• Dislike 1

52 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Since 2018:

Milano - 5 INT, 1 FF, 9.0 sacks, 41 TFL

Edmunds - 4 INT, 2 FF, 6.5 sacks, 30 TFL

Wow what a huge difference! Not having same impact as an elite WLB (who is allowed to play with more freedom) doesn’t mean a player doesn’t make an impact.

In that time span:

Edmunds - 65 games played

Milano - 58 games played 

So with 7 more games, Edmunds still lacks the productivity of Milano. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Edited by Bangarang

I never really understood the "controversy" around Edmunds.  He came into the league at a very young age.  He has developed and is playing great.  I don't think he ever played "bad."

Beane has some tough decisions to make, and this is one of 'em.  We can't lock in every good to great player we have - but Edmunds is absolutely worth keeping if we can afford it.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Edmunds is trending towards a priority re-sign.  He's becoming very good.. and has elite potential still. 

That said, he's playing behind a Top 3 DL in the NFL and heading into the offseason we will have had a 3rd RD pick in the system for a year.  Not sure what we're doing with Bernard if Edmunds is extended long term.  Good depth, sure, but strange use of draft capital as a top 100 pick. 

It was easy to see that he was drafted as insurance in case Tremaine didn’t work out 

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

And that’s solely a function of his rookie contract and where he was drafted. Not a good argument. Or are you blaming him for his draft position too?

Again: Who’s your alternative? 

It's an indisputable fact that completely disproves your statement that he isn't one of the highest paid ILBs in the league. The "why" isn't relevant to the "what" in this case. It's not possible to have a better argument.

As for who my alternative is, I would have preferred  that we bring in Wagner and ship off Edmunds, butt hat didn't happen. My Edmunds replacement likely comes in the draft unless Beane swings a trade for a top-end LB like Leonard, Warner or Smith.

Edited by BullBuchanan

31 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

In that time span:

Edmunds - 65 games played

Milano - 58 games played 

So with 7 more games, Edmunds still lacks the productivity of Milano. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Did you completely miss the part where I said Edmunds doesn’t have the same impact as Milano or just choose to ignore it? Nobody is trying to say Edmund is better. Thanks for trying to move the goalposts.

29 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Confirmation bias is powerful. 

Milano has out performed Edmunds every year and it isn't close. The data actually shows Edmunds has been a very poor coverage linebacker for most of his career, especially the last 2 seasons where QBs and receivers ate him alive while Milano thrived right next to him.

Okay I'm not against re-signing him but we already invested in Milano. Right now we have a black hole at Safety next year with Poyer possibly in his last season, and Hyde with a neck injury. That position needs to be invested in. 

The Bills need to upgrade 

Safety

RB

Guard/Tackle (whichever you prefer)

Have to re-sign Ed Oliver for sure. Could Beane work some magic and make it all fit sure but paying another LB 10+ Million dollars when we need to actually give Allen some protection would be nice. 

2 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I don't think there has been a Bills player that has been more polarizing on this board, or in the fan base, since 2018.  I too have been frustrated with the failures on run fits and the apparent lack of instinct blitzing and against the run.  Starting now, I officially swear off on all of that.  Having watched him closely this year, I am an unrepentant Edmunds fan.  We need to sign him.  While he gets plenty of attention from opposing coaches and national media, I think he is somewhat unsung and definitely under-appreciated by The Mafia.  He is a huge difference maker and has really upped his game.  We need to find the money, as he is a key piece of the core.  One of my favorite Twitter posts was by a Rams fan after the opener:  "The Bills defense is unfair.  They have an actual Terdactyl playing middle linebacker."   We owe this player some love.

pay him what is the question.  He has improved this year, so has the DL.  Can he improve/play well w/o that line in front of him?  If we keep him, do we keep Oliver/Davis?  Oliver is more important to the D, IMO.  Just because he looks like a tetradactyl does not make him one.  Interestingly, he seems to be rushing the passer more this year, which is what he seems better suited for: straight downhill player rather than sit, read, react.  

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's an indisputable fact that completely disproves your statement that he isn't one of the highest paid ILBs in the league. The "why" isn't relevant to the "what" in this case. It's not possible to have a better argument.

As for who my alternative is, I would have preferred  that we bring in Wagner and ship off Edmunds, butt hat didn't happen. My Edmunds replacement likely comes in the draft unless Beane swings a trade for a top-end LB like Leonard, Warner or Smith.

that’s fine, but the pay isn’t indicative of anything but his draft status and the fact they picked up his option. So saying “he’s getting paid x so he should be playing at y level” is a bit disingenuous. Declining that and going after Wagner last year would have been a decent move, no argument there. Drafting a MLB is a option, with a completely unknown outcome.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.