Tremaine Must Remain

MarlinTheMagician

27 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Both Milano (my fave) and Edmunds are thriving behind the new line.  Does not mean the new line is what makes them good, maybe the old line kept them from showing out - we have been soft against the run since before Star and our linebackers were never kept clean before.  Daquan Jones and Tim Settle make a big difference, for the linebackers I think the big guys in the middle have mattered as much or more than the emergence of Groot and the signing of Von Miller.  Team game, and Milano and Edmunds are excelling at their part of "team".

Milano was good before the new DL tho. If Edmunds had been playing at the same level Milano has the last 4 years, he'd already be re-signed.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

I still think it's a big risk signing a guy like Edmonds long term who is now magically breaking out in his contract year.

But I do think his play is directly tied to this defensive line being the best unit that McD and Frazier have fielded during their time here. So that's the question do you want to keep Edmunds long term and pay him a big contact knowing that he could revert back to his lackluster play behind defensive lines that always won't be as good in the future?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

First, great thread title.

Second, I too have become a believer in TE.

Third, if money wasn't a problem, he is definitely worth keeping due to his play.

So, it comes down to money.  As things go right now it just seems Beane won't be able to swing a long-term contract.

BUT none of us know what the cap will be in 2 years.  I will repeat that, none of us know.

The only way I see this happening is building Edmunds's contract with a 5-year term.  As much as we all laugh about his age it is the

way to make it work.  Having a cheap cap hit in 2023 with an option to do a restructure of some Base Salary in 2024.

This will only happen if Beane knows where the cap is going, and he can structure a workable contract with Edmunds and his agent.

I do think Edmunds wants to stay in Buffalo.  It would mean that he takes a little less per year IF he wants to stay. 

First, thanks for the shout-out.  If we want him, I believe we have plenty of cap flex in the deals of others that we are not going to walk away from and there can afford to restructure (Allen, White, Miler, etc).  I hope.  

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He is playing better this year than at any point last year. Opinions and evaluations are allowed to change and evolve. That's why you pick up his 5th year option and see what happens. Right now he is trending towards a franchise tag or contract extension. Milano was a popular choice for parting ways to afford other players but he is playing at an elite level. 

Odd men out here are going to be Hyde, Singletary, Epenesa, and maybe Morse. Poyer probably gets a 2 year extension soon with how well he is playing. They will restructure White.  Very unlikely but if he doesn't recover from his injury he could be a cap casualty with Dane, Elam, and Benford being cheaper options. Heresy I know but you can't pay everyone and inured guys like Hyde and White get released all the time.

They then draft safety and OL next year. 

I agree with most of your post except the Franchise Tag part. LB tag number is $18M. No way. If Beane was willing to pay that, he'd be re-signed already.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

I still think it's a big risk signing a guy like Edmonds long term who is now magically breaking out in his contract year.

But I do think his play is directly tied to this defensive line being the best unit that McD and Frazier have fielded during their time here. So that's the question do you want to keep Edmunds long term and pay him a big contact knowing that he could revert back to his lackluster play behind defensive lines that always won't be as good in the future?

Stay stout up the middle and a reversion never needs to happen.  In my (regrettably, too long) experience, once It clicks for a player they rarely revert all other things being equal (unequal things being health, age and the players around the player).  Edmunds checks the boxes on age and availabliltiy/injury, so just don't field a weak interior line and he will continue to excel.

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You are just showing how little you actually understand about the Bills scheme and what it's predicated on.

Or maybe Edmunds isn’t as good as you think he is?

Leslie Frazier publicly stated he wants to see Edmunds make more splash plays. Maybe he’s wrong and just doesn’t understand the defense and what Edmunds does on the field?

38 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I said at the time that if Knox’s usage increases then the contract becomes a bargain. 

If we just get more of the same but less TDs then it’s a garbage deal. Beane gambled that the TD production would stay the same but the receptions and yards would increase. So far it’s been the opposite. 

There's just no way Beane gambled on Knox's TD production remaining the same. I mean he had 9 TDs on 49 catches.

Just now, MarlinTheMagician said:

Stay stout up the middle and a reversion never needs to happen.  In my (regrettably, too long) experience, once It clicks for a player they rarely revert all other things being equal (unequal things being health, age and the players around the player).  Edmunds checks the boxes on age and availabliltiy/injury, so just don't field a weak interior line and he will continue to excel.

Anyone we're looking to pay close to $20M/yr should be able to stand out and be a star on his own. If he is only producing at a good-to-great level with a stable of pricey DL in front of him who we also have to pay big bucks, then he isnt worth that money.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, billsfanmd07 said:

I forget Milano numbers, but I feel bad because Edmonds may want twice what Milano took to stay here. Animosity could pop up as I don't see TE taking a home town discount.     

Exactly, we shouldn't pay Edmunds because it might hurt Milano's feelings.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Or maybe Edmunds isn’t as good as you think he is?

Leslie Frazier publicly stated he wants to see Edmunds make more splash plays. Maybe he’s wrong and just doesn’t understand the defense and what Edmunds does on the field?

Frazier wanting him to take a next step and generate more splash plays does not mean Frazier does not realize his value or doesn't want him for the defense.  I have seen him speak out strongly for Tremaine several times.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Gives you a pretty great view of him pattern matching receivers over the middle of the field and taking them out of the QB's progression.  The obsession about his run D is kinda crazy.  It's a passing league, the Bills have the #1 pass D by miles for the past 2+ years and he is a large part of it.  You can accept this or you don't have to, but if you choose to continue your crusade against him it basically shows you either don't understand football very well or you choose to see what you want to see.

I promise you his contract will reflect the value other teams see him bringing in pass defense and not run defense.

I covered this in the Edmunds Report last year.  No one wants to hear it.  They're fixated on he's not Urlacher, Keuchly, and Lewis rolled into one.

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Edmunds is fine, but I'd like to see more investment in the offense. 

Agree, we need some guys on the O-line who can “run block and pass block”, should Beane pull this off, it will cure a couple of other important issues, 

6 minutes ago, billsfanmd07 said:

I forget Milano numbers, but I feel bad because Edmonds may want twice what Milano took to stay here. Animosity could pop up as I don't see TE taking a home town discount.     

Milano is a very humble and centered minimalist who now has generational wealth (and will likely get a third contract in his career as well). He's good.

1 minute ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

First, thanks for the shout-out.  If we want him, I believe we have plenty of cap flex in the deals of others that we are not going to walk away from and there can afford to restructure (Allen, White, Miler, etc).  I hope.  

Beane will need to use restructures just to field 53 players next year.  He's at -$8M with only 36 players signed.

Edmunds is only one of the multiple FAs which needs a decision.  There will be players moving on that we all would like to keep.

I will stick to my point that it all depends on where the cap is going.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.