Tre' White Watch begins...

Inigo Montoya

What we know

This is the first week that Tre is eligible to come off of short term PUP list and start to practice with the team.

From the time Tre comes off PUP and starts to practice, the Bills will have 21 days to activate him to the regular roster or he will have to be placed on season ending IR.

McDermott was asked yesterday about Tre's status and he essentially gave no answer except that Tre continues to work to get back.

What we suspect

Even if Tre is 100% right now I would be shocked for him to lace it up against the Steelers this week due to the matchup.  The Bills secondary should be able to hold up against  the Steeler's offense without Tre in there this week.

The big question is, will they play him the following week vs the Chiefs in Arrowhead.  It would obviously be a big boost to have him back on the field for that pivotal matchup with plenty of playoff seeding consequences for the Bills.  

If the Bills don't play him in Week 6 versus the Chiefs, Tre will then have an additional week to rehab with the bye week in Week 7 and will have to be activated before the Week 8 tilt on Sunday night against the Packers at home.  This might have been the plan all along.  

When he comes back he will likely be on a snap count and alternating time with Elam and Jackson as he plays back into form.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

May or may not be popular, but I'm not playing Tre until after the bye, against Green Bay. 

From what I understand, once you reach a certain time period, the chance of re-injury stays stagnant... doesn't really improve with more time off.  I'm not sure where he is in relation to that, but he's too important to rush back and call me crazy, but I have a lot of confidence in a secondary of Poyer-Hamlin-Johnson-Jackson-Elam. 

More important, imo, is to get Davis, Oliver and Phillips right for the Chiefs game - if possible. 

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 12

Just now, SCBills said:

May or may not be popular, but I'm not playing Tre until after the bye, against Green Bay. 

From what I understand, once you reach a certain time period, the chance of re-injury stays stagnant... doesn't really improve with more time off.  I'm not sure where he is in relation to that, but he's too important to rush back and call me crazy, but I have a lot of confidence in a secondary of Poyer-Hamlin-Johnson-Jackson-Elam. 

I agree that our existing secondary as it is can be more than adequate for the season. Tre is icing on the cake if and when he comes back 100%. It's not the re-injury risk for me, but rather the <100% performance-related drop off. Right now, Tre at say 80% may be worse than what we currently have on the field.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

What we know

This is the first week that Tre is eligible to come off of short term PUP list and start to practice with the team.

From the time Tre comes off PUP and starts to practice, the Bills will have 21 days to activate him to the regular roster or he will have to be placed on season ending IR.

McDermott was asked yesterday about Tre's status and he essentially gave no answer except that Tre continues to work to get back.

What we suspect

Even if Tre is 100% right now I would be shocked for him to lace it up against the Steelers this week due to the matchup.  The Bills secondary should be able to hold up against  the Steeler's offense without Tre in there this week.

The big question is, will they play him the following week vs the Chiefs in Arrowhead.  It would obviously be a big boost to have him back on the field for that pivotal matchup with plenty of playoff seeding consequences for the Bills.  

If the Bills don't play him in Week 6 versus the Chiefs, Tre will then have an additional week to rehab with the bye week in Week 7 and will have to be activated before the Week 8 tilt on Sunday night against the Packers at home.  This might have been the plan all along.  

When he comes back he will likely be on a snap count and alternating time with Elam and Jackson as he plays back into form.

Good points but if a player is 100% and has practiced, he should play

• Like (+1) 2

McDermott has been silent with updates on this situation and the media have done a very poor job (as they did with 13 seconds) getting answers. Leaves me to believe there might be more going on with this situation (and a potentially longer timeline) than we’d like to think 

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2

37 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

I to am starting to feel like it will be later then most think.  Not ruling out he doesn’t play at all or very little this season.  

I said this a week or so ago.

An unpopular opinion to be sure, but I continue to hear rumblings around OP that his rehab is not going well.

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

You play him when he's ready. You don't hold him out longer or rush him back.  If he's ready he's ready and you play him. 

KC game is a playoff game and may very well determine #1 seed.

This should be the default post on every injury

1 minute ago, yall said:

I said this a week or so ago.

An unpopular opinion to be sure, but I continue to hear rumblings around OP that his rehab is not going well.

I’ve sensed since about week 2 of training camp that maybe he had a set back.  He was at Fischer at first, some comments from team were initially somewhat positive.  Then it all just went quiet and he was largely out of sight then.  Just a hunch of mine since early August.

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills exercise caution when dealing with things like hamstring injuries to prevent reoccurrence or worsening that are far less serious than an ACL, you can bet they will be exercising an abundance of caution to make sure he is 100% ready to go and not putting him at any extra risk.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

What we know

What we suspect

Honestly he has to come back for KC if he’s ready. We’re in a race for home field and can’t afford to go into KC short handed. That’s almost a must win if we want to not be playing KC in January.