Kaiir Elam Through 4 Weeks

ArtVandalay

5 hours ago, wjag said:

I was too.  And yet the week before, Indy bottled them up.  They always say it’s a week to week league and the Chiefs in the last two weeks are a good example of that.  That Bills-Chiefs game in two weeks is going to be so over hyped.  

It's a pretty big game. It could decide home field advantage for the playoffs. We all know how important that is. Also, it's a pretty good measuring stick for both teams. One thing I think I can say with confidence is the Bills now believe they can win in Arrowhead. That goes a long way to actually winning. If Mahomes plays like he did on Sunday night it's going to be a huge task for the defense. I was surprised at how balanced their offense was. Bills offense is still a work in progress. Lack of running and WR injuries are concerning. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I think it's going to be mahomes V Allen for the foreseeable future, with burrow being the Philip rivers of the group 

Burrows beat Mahomes last year and represented the AFC in the Super Bowl. Once their Oline starts to gel they are going to be dangerous and formidable. I think Allen and Mahomes are ahead of Burrows in the talent area. Both their arms are bigger. However, Burrows has elite receivers and knows how to lead a team and win. I wouldn't count out the Burrows lead Bengals. 

27 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Burrows beat Mahomes last year and represented the AFC in the Super Bowl. Once their Oline starts to gel they are going to be dangerous and formidable. I think Allen and Mahomes are ahead of Burrows in the talent area. Both their arms are bigger. However, Burrows has elite receivers and knows how to lead a team and win. I wouldn't count out the Burrows lead Bengals. 

You act like Phil Rivers wasnt a hall of famer.

The way you just described Burrows is how Rivers could have been described in SD.

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

we should have tre back for the KC game. I think Tre in there with elam and our pass rush will give KC headaches

Maybe.  However on Le Batard the other day they were talking about one of those next gen stats called "Ball Hawk Rate."  It's something like percentage of targets that end in a tip or interception.  They were using it to talk about Xavien Howard who is number one...but number two?  Dane Jackson.  Yes, I know it's a small sample size but we may have 4 really good corners.  It will be the good kind of tough decision as to who starts.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree it's early and we should reserve judgment. It's also easier playing CB when you have the defense line playing as solid as it it. But not at see his performance as impressive, there's analysis like this before the Baltimore game....

However, Elam didn't claim a starting role out of the gate, instead splitting time in the opener with sixth-round pick Christian Benford.

"They both had good training camps for us," defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said before Week 1, per Grace Heidinger of the team's official website. "We'll mix it up in the ballgame and see how things are going as the game goes on."

The fact that Elam couldn't cleanly beat out a sixth-round rookie was concerning, as has Elam's play thus far. He has allowed 10 receptions on 14 targets and an opposing passer rating of 111.6 in coverage.

Elam finally started in Week 3, and he may have to start moving forward, as Benford suffered a broken hand in the loss to Miami. Hopefully, he'll perform better than he has to this point.

Grade: D+

15 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

I agree it's early and we should reserve judgment. It's also easier playing CB when you have the defense line playing as solid as it it. But not at see his performance as impressive, there's analysis like this before the Baltimore game....

However, Elam didn't claim a starting role out of the gate, instead splitting time in the opener with sixth-round pick Christian Benford.

"They both had good training camps for us," defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said before Week 1, per Grace Heidinger of the team's official website. "We'll mix it up in the ballgame and see how things are going as the game goes on."

The fact that Elam couldn't cleanly beat out a sixth-round rookie was concerning, as has Elam's play thus far. He has allowed 10 receptions on 14 targets and an opposing passer rating of 111.6 in coverage.

Elam finally started in Week 3, and he may have to start moving forward, as Benford suffered a broken hand in the loss to Miami. Hopefully, he'll perform better than he has to this point.

Grade: D+

That’s some quality analysis right there🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

That’s some quality analysis right there🤦‍♂️

While it may not be a quality analysis and like the saying goes "stats are stats", the piece where he has allowed 10 receptions on 14 targets and an opposing passer rating of 111.6 in coverage is a little concerning and he has to improve.  Grant it there are only 14 targets but that is mostly because of the defense line not the fact he's blanketing receivers and not allowing an attempt

16 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Maybe.  However on Le Batard the other day they were talking about one of those next gen stats called "Ball Hawk Rate."  It's something like percentage of targets that end in a tip or interception.  They were using it to talk about Xavien Howard who is number one...but number two?  Dane Jackson.  Yes, I know it's a small sample size but we may have 4 really good corners.  It will be the good kind of tough decision as to who starts.

I honestly could see benford moving to safety down the line, or they need to move Dane Jackson (RFA so in line for a raise/offer sheet).  It's likely to keep him on the field more as both of our safeties are in their 30s and on the end of contracts.  Poyer has no contract for next year (neither does johnson for that matter) and Hyde's on his final year of his deal.

Benford's not "too slow" to play cornerback - but he's a good tackler, knows how to make plays on the ball in zone, and has the size to play there.  I think Jacksons possibly a little too small for that switch, and elam was brought in with excellent speed to improve our ability to play more man coverage.  

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

While it may not be a quality analysis and like the saying goes "stats are stats", the piece where he has allowed 10 receptions on 14 targets and an opposing passer rating of 111.6 in coverage is a little concerning and he has to improve.  Grant it there are only 14 targets but that is mostly because of the defense line not the fact he's blanketing receivers and not allowing an attempt

I question coverage stats - a LOT.  The advanced defense numbers say poyer has allowed 4 completions on 5 targets with a TD for 80% comp% and a 101.7 rating allowed.  Yet he somehow has 4 interceptions?  

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I would hold off a bit because the Rams and Titans do not have great WRs, but the Miami game both he and Benford held up well against true WRs and a questionable QB.  

Most NFL games don't require a rookie CB to play single man coverage against Young-to-Rice.  The ability to shut down average-to-above-average WRs being thrown to by average-to-above-average QBs is very good and all can reasonably ask from your rookie CB2.

12 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

Coverage stats are not always what they seem.  3rd and 9 and Elam gives up a 6 yard pass.  He keeps the WR in front of him and doesn't allow a first down....but on the stat sheet he gives up a 6 yard pass.  If he does this 3-4 times a game, he's doing a good job.  But the stat sheet will say he's giving up too many catches.

It is what happened to Stephon Gilmore here.

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I question coverage stats - a LOT.  The advanced defense numbers say poyer has allowed 4 completions on 5 targets with a TD for 80% comp% and a 101.7 rating allowed.  Yet he somehow has 4 interceptions?  

Yea that must be a mistake. The touchdown was week 1 at LA, but as you say it can't be 4 of 5 else how does he have 4 picks?

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that must be a mistake. The touchdown was week 1 at LA, but as you say it can't be 4 of 5 else how does he have 4 picks?

At least two of his INT's are off of tipped balls. So I think those would be counted as balls where he was not the primary defender. Even on the end zone INT last week I'm not sure if he would be considered the primary defender on that play either. That is my guess as to how it works. Of course a safety is often not the primary defender too.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

At least two of his INT's are off of tipped balls. So I think those would be counted as balls where he was not the primary defender. Even on the end zone INT last week I'm not sure if he would be considered the primary defender on that play either. That is my guess as to how it works. Of course a safety is often not the primary defender too.

That's actually a good explanation Sammy. Makes sense to me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.