WR - Almost as Decimated as Secondary

OldTimer1960

9 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

And it's a surprise the passing game is struggling?  A big part of the problem is their solution to offensive issues in the off-season was to improve the running game. With UFA's on medium to low cost short term deals.  And, for the 3rd out of 4 years to use another pick on a RB.  

Define struggling... through 4 weeks they're second to the Chargers in passing yards per game, they're 4 in the league with 10 TD passes (with 3 others tied at 11), and they're third in the league in passing yards overall. They resoundingly beat LA, torched Tennessee so bad they pulled the starters midway through the third quarter, and put up 500 yards of offense in the flukey Dolphins game, 400 of which was through the air. The outlier has been a rainy game in Baltimore with a ton of dropped passes. 

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s cheap cap wise. Steelers will start building around Pickens, Johnson, Austin, and TE Freiermuth.

I think they will rebuild and Claypool will get them a nice draft pick. I think he could be moved.

Intriguing.  Claypool seems to be a bit of an airhead on the field.  Perhaps with better coaching he could maximize his talents.  

I see him being dealt as more of an off-season move though 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

27 minutes ago, transient said:

Define struggling... through 4 weeks they're second to the Chargers in passing yards per game, they're 4 in the league with 10 TD passes (with 3 others tied at 11), and they're third in the league in passing yards overall. They resoundingly beat LA, torched Tennessee so bad they pulled the starters midway through the third quarter, and put up 500 yards of offense in the flukey Dolphins game, 400 of which was through the air. The outlier has been a rainy game in Baltimore with a ton of dropped passes. 

Adding in the stats from LAR and TEN makes the offense looks better, but the trend is down: 

In the first 2 weeks they had 65 offensive points and Josh was averaging 8.6 per throw with 7 TD to 2 INT .  They've scored 42 points these last 2 weeks and Josh is averaging 6.2 yards per attempt with 3 TD and 1 INT.  I'm not blaming Josh, but if that isn't struggling for an offense that I saw some people talking in the off-season about being the highest scoring in NFL history.  21 PPG is league average BTW.  

Baltimore came in giving up 350 yards passing per and limited Buffalo to 213.  Josh had 400 yards against Miami, but needed 63 passes to do it. 

There's gonna be ups and downs in the regular season and they ain't scoring 35 per, but that's a drop off by any measure.   

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Adding in the stats from LAR and TEN makes the offense looks better, but the trend is down: 

So we count the Miami game with our entire O-Line injured and the Baltimore game in the rain, but we don't count the Rams/Titans games.

Got it.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

In the first 2 weeks they had 65 offensive points and Josh was averaging 8.6 per throw with 7 TD to 2 INT .  They've scored 42 points these last 2 weeks and Josh is averaging 6.2 yards per attempt with 3 TD and 1 INT.  I'm not blaming Josh, but if that isn't struggling for an offense that I saw some people talking in the off-season about being the highest scoring in NFL history.  21 PPG is league average BTW.  

My original post was that expectations for Brandon Beane are unrealistic.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

The Bills had two great games to start the season, followed by two average games due mostly to injuries and bad weather.  This is pretty typical with the normal ups and downs of an NFL season, and they are still in the Top 5 in almost every passing category.  But the expectation was them to set records and be amongst the highest scoring in history.  Your complaint isn't they are struggling.  It's they are struggling against what you are expecting from this team.

You can't talk trends with sample size of two games.  And my guess is that if they score 40-50 against the Steelers, you will just make an excuse of why that doesn't count either.

• Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s cheap cap wise. Steelers will start building around Pickens, Johnson, Austin, and TE Freiermuth.

I think they will rebuild and Claypool will get them a nice draft pick. I think he could be moved.

Claypool would be a nice add as gives us size we lack. The question I have is does he get separation though as that seems to be a key element in Josh's game.

I'm a little surprised we haven't heard about either Smoke Brown or E Sanders.  Either of these two would be veteran presence that have played here before (so could quickly be up to speed), that seem like could be had cheap until we're back to full speed.  

Sanders said the right things on the way out - Gabe Davis is going to be a star.  Seems like he would accept the situation.  On the downside he is 35 and has some announcing gig someplace.

Smoke is only 32.  Although he didn't do well at any of the other places he bounced around to, he did well here.  Saw some random post where he was working out.

I'm not worried about Pitt.  But I wouldn't of minded seeing one of these two here now preparing for the huge battle against KC.

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Baltimore came in giving up 350 yards passing per and limited Buffalo to 213.  Josh had 400 yards against Miami, but needed 63 passes to do it. 

There's gonna be ups and downs in the regular season and they ain't scoring 35 per, but that's a drop off by any measure.   

Playing with all those injuries and the weather is the cause for the downward trend. Put Josh and the offense on a neutral weather site like the first 2 games they are likely to light it up. Thank God fall weather is incoming. Perfect football weather. 

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The first two games were ideal weather.  The next 2 games were played in elements that impacted performance. We’re also decimated with injuries now. Both matter

53 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I'm a little surprised we haven't heard about either Smoke Brown or E Sanders.  Either of these two would be veteran presence that have played here before (so could quickly be up to speed), that seem like could be had cheap until we're back to full speed.  

Sanders said the right things on the way out - Gabe Davis is going to be a star.  Seems like he would accept the situation.  On the downside he is 35 and has some announcing gig someplace.

Smoke is only 32.  Although he didn't do well at any of the other places he bounced around to, he did well here.  Saw some random post where he was working out.

I'm not worried about Pitt.  But I wouldn't of minded seeing one of these two here now preparing for the huge battle against KC.

The NFL is an efficient market on talent. The fact that there is no market for Sanders this year and no market for Brown since last year should tell us something. 

If this Shakir kid stays healthy I could see him mirroring Gabe Davis production as a rookie in this offense.

A lot of pundits feel he was a true steal in the 5th round similar to Davis in the 4th a few years ago and I'm also drinking that koolaid right now based on his limited body of work. The way he moves on the field is not like a rookie and has looked liked he belongs since training camp. Having JA17 throwing the ball to him doesn't hurt either.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

The NFL is an efficient market on talent. The fact that there is no market for Sanders this year and no market for Brown since last year should tell us something. 

True.  But there was no market for Beasley until Tampa was decimated at WR.  And Sanders/Brown are more valuable to the Bills because of familiarity than a lot of other WRs out there.  I like Shakir but it seems like we should have another functioning outside WR for the KC game.

8 minutes ago, Flucod said:

In 2 weeks Davis will back producing from injury, Shakir will have more experience and rookie RB will be working the slot (has great hands and speed). Paired with Knox for 4 wide with another tight end set. Our passing game will be great all season. Not worried at all.

Unfortunately two weeks is after the KC game.  

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

So we count the Miami game with our entire O-Line injured and the Baltimore game in the rain, but we don't count the Rams/Titans games.

Got it.

My original post was that expectations for Brandon Beane are unrealistic.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

The Bills had two great games to start the season, followed by two average games due mostly to injuries and bad weather.  This is pretty typical with the normal ups and downs of an NFL season, and they are still in the Top 5 in almost every passing category.  But the expectation was them to set records and be amongst the highest scoring in history.  Your complaint isn't they are struggling.  It's they are struggling against what you are expecting from this team.

You can't talk trends with sample size of two games.  And my guess is that if they score 40-50 against the Steelers, you will just make an excuse of why that doesn't count either.

In all this talk about weather, people do realize Buffalo visited Miami last season on Sept 25th?  With the same temperature in play for that game, but the difference was Buffalo walked all over the fish 35-0.  Weather wasn't a factor in that result.  But now it is?

As to injuries, that's been a built in excuse for decades around here.  Perhaps having more than 2 boundary NFL caliber WR's on the roster would be good to hedge against that.  Or, finding better OL depth and not signing a 13 year vet whose PT has decreased the last few seasons.  You can't cry about injuries when the off-season priorities didn't make that a focus.   

Besides, Brandon Beane's and McDermott's expectations are SB after signing Miller in UFA and having Josh.  It can't be anything less.    

The issue with the offense is a lack of talent and it won't change this entire season.  That work needed to be done in the off-season and they chose to improve other areas or bring back the same offensive guys who they thought would make a difference and really hadn't before.    

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

True.  But there was no market for Beasley until Tampa was decimated at WR.  And Sanders/Brown are more valuable to the Bills because of familiarity than a lot of other WRs out there.  I like Shakir but it seems like we should have another functioning outside WR for the KC game.

Unfortunately two weeks is after the KC game.  

We play KC this week, thought it Pittsburg this week? Weird, when I check TV listings it says Pittsburg this week?

On 10/6/2022 at 2:11 PM, BillsVet said:

So can we count today’s game, or do we exclude this one too because… I dunno… let’s go with Pittsburgh sucks this season? 🤷‍♂️ :devil:

5 minutes ago, transient said:

So can we count today’s game, or do we exclude this one too because… I dunno… let’s go with Pittsburgh sucks this season? 🤷‍♂️ :devil:

Obviously and good game from rookies or players you don't expect to produce, you exclude from the formula.  You only count the ones they do poorly in, obviously.

13103908_web1_Chargers-Jaguars-Football.

Picture doesn't need to be included, obviously, but, obviously, for emphasis.  

Edited by The Wiz

On 10/6/2022 at 3:11 PM, BillsVet said:

How about 400+ yards on 31 attempts?

38 this game, 41 vs TEN. Could have been more, but Buffalo took their foot off the gas in the 3rd quarter in each game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.