WR - Almost as Decimated as Secondary

OldTimer1960

12 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

What dont people understand about Beasley asked to be released. That means he doesnt want to be here.  He has Tom Brady and played in two games and has 17 yards.

We didn’t want him. Don’t make it sound like it was Beasley’s choice. He also dissed the team after he left. He wants $$ and attention.  His distractions and diminished skill set aren’t worth it, you get the same in Austin without the drama and Austin can punt return. Beasley would have been in the Crowder role as a backup and he would have been complaining the whole froggin time. They should sit Davis this week so we are almost full strength for the KC game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Exactly how deep is a team supposed to be at WR?  Sometimes I think the expectations for Brandon Beane are ridiculously unrealistic.

Nobody in the league carries more than 6-7 receivers on the active 53-man roster.

We went into the season with 6 guys making the initial roster, 1 guy on IR and 3 guys on the practice squad.

No GM in the NFL can have a perfect contingency plan if we suffer injuries to 4 of our top 6 players at a single position.  Especially when we are also forced to deal with multiple injuries on the defensive line and in the secondary.

Most of the people who follow the NFL believe the Bills have the deepest roster in the entire NFL.  But I keep hearing a chunk of our fanbase say that he didn't do enough to address the RB, WR, TE, OL and CB groups.  I'm sorry, but we can't have All-Pro talent at every starting spot, along with starting-caliber vets all the way down to our second and third string.  

I counter the argument with, you can’t continue to waste resources, especially higher draft picks on garbage players and say you addressed a position, no you used a pick and still left a hole.  See RB, LB, DL, OL.  The DL picks are coming around, but with the investment in it, they damn well better and you STILL had to go sign a real pass rusher.  RB, are you kidding? WR, you have paid zero attention to since getting Diggs.  You let go of Beasley and didn’t even spend the same amount back on the group as a whole.  There are choices to be made and Beane has not made the best of them in many instances.  Overall, Allen is covering the offensive gaffes, but how long can he do it behind that line?  

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

What dont people understand about Beasley asked to be released. That means he doesnt want to be here.  He has Tom Brady and played in two games and has 17 yards.

Some folk are, as the Brits say, “thick”…,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Bills2022 said:

Diggs is on pace to catch 1700 yards and 17 TD's from #17.  He might have to improve on that with all our receiver problems.  

Beasley won't be at Tampa much longer.  Just a matter of time before he is back in Buffalo.

No chance.  That ship has sailed.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

No chance.  That ship has sailed.

Cole Beasley is now available.  They moved him to the practice squad.  I bet the Bills sign him this week. They aren't going into KC with this banged up receiving group.  He is without a doubt their best option.

• Disagree 2

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I counter the argument with, you can’t continue to waste resources, especially higher draft picks on garbage players and say you addressed a position, no you used a pick and still left a hole.  See RB, LB, DL, OL.  The DL picks are coming around, but with the investment in it, they damn well better and you STILL had to go sign a real pass rusher.  RB, are you kidding? WR, you have paid zero attention to since getting Diggs.  You let go of Beasley and didn’t even spend the same amount back on the group as a whole.  There are choices to be made and Beane has not made the best of them in many instances.  Overall, Allen is covering the offensive gaffes, but how long can he do it behind that line?  

They traded for Diggs 2020.  Drafted Davis and Hodgins in 2020.  Drafted Stevenson 2021.  Drafted Shakir 2022.  They've used picks on a WR every year for the last 3 years.  How is that 0 attention?  You get 1 first round pick every year and most of the time buffalo will be picking after pick 25 - the best WRs will be gone by then.  

They let go of Beasley because he wasn't effective anymore, especially at the price point.  I can see arguments around offensive line - especially the basham pick being a bit of a luxury pick. 

Cook was brought in as they wanted a pass catching back with speed.  He has been here 4 games and everyone has already written him off.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They let go of Beasley because he wasn't effective anymore, especially at the price point.  I can see arguments around offensive line - especially the basham pick being a bit of a luxury pick. 

He wasn't as effective, but he still had 6 catches for 60 yards in the playoff game against the Chiefs 9 months ago.  We play the Chiefs next week and we have no healthy receivers except Diggs.  I don't think the Bills have a choice.  Who else is available that you can just throw on the field in a game where the #1 seed in the AFC could be on the line.  We leave for KC in 11 days from now.

Edited by Bills2022

28 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I suspect we could see a lot of double-TE sets or with 2 of TE, H-back, and Fullback with a normal Tailback.

Even 2 RB, one as normal and the other as WR.  It's time to be creative 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Andy Isabella was just waived from the cardinals. Gotta pass through waivers but could be worth a flyer with his speed. Worst case he’s a returner as well. 

Crowder hasn't gone to IR yet, has he?

In 2022, Isabella will earn a base salary of $1,126,350, while carrying a cap hit of $1,473,144 and a dead cap value of $346,794.

This is for the 4th and final year of his rookie contract.

Edited by Ralonzo

Knox, Sweeney, Morris, Gilliam and the RBs need to be getting tons of targets and designed plays. Would love to see the 3 RBs go for 150+ running while playing heavy personnel. No reason we need to win one way every week. The great Patriots teams of ‘01-‘19 had many ways to win games. Multiplicity is critical.  

8 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Crowder hasn't gone to IR yet, has he?

This is for the 4th and final year of his rookie contract.

I don’t think crowder is on IR yet. 
And I’m sure if Buffalo had any interest he’d have to clear waivers. I’m not sure someone like Chicago doesn’t claim him though. 

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They traded for Diggs 2020.  Drafted Davis and Hodgins in 2020.  Drafted Stevenson 2021.  Drafted Shakir 2022.  They've used picks on a WR every year for the last 3 years.  How is that 0 attention?  You get 1 first round pick every year and most of the time buffalo will be picking after pick 25 - the best WRs will be gone by then.  

Cook was brought in as they wanted a pass catching back with speed.  He has been here 4 games and everyone has already written him off.  

If we were talking about QB in the awful years would you be cool with “addressing” the position with 4th, 5th and 6th round picks?  No.  Outside of Diggs they have done NOTHING to support Allen at WR in the draft.  They let Beasley go and didn’t even spend what he was making to get replacements.  Basham and AJE were both awful picks due to the available options and Cook is another ***** RB prospect, who much to my dislike is exactly what I said he was, a pass catcher who can’t pass block and therefore can’t get on the field.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think I’m crazy but Tavon Austin is about to have a Cordarrelle Patterson like late career resurgence.

Patterson had long been very good at something.........returning kicks.

Austin has never been good at anything...........so if he did something I guess it would be a "surgence".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.