Quarter Pole: Unexpected Results Around the League

EmotionallyUnstable

16 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Jared Goff and Amon-Ra St. Brown!

Yes I have St. Brown in fantasy 

Goff is playing very well.  His D is 32nd in points and yards.  

Jags are a bit of a surprise.

Raiders suck---Carr is exactly who we thought he was.

Positives

The Detroit Lions leading the league in yards and points with the #1 Offense
Jalen Hurts
The Jaguars
Tua
The Giants and the resurgence of Saquon
Cooper Rush led Cowboys
The NFC East looking a lot stronger than expected

Negatives:
The Detroit Lions leading the league in yards and points surrendered with the dead-last #32 defense
The Broncos pitiful offense
Christian McCaffery looking human
The AFC West looking a lot weaker than expected

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I know we aren’t quite a quarter of the way (dang you game 17!) but I was thinking about all of the surprise players and teams around the league, both the good, the bad and the ugly. Here are some of mine: 

Kyle Pitts - where did he disappear to?!

Atlanta

Cowboys - somehow surprising still alive 

Rust is a better QB than Dax

G-Men - Dabol has his boys finding a way

Amazing what competent play calling will do for a team.

Pete Werner - never knew the guy but he seems like a stud

Don't know him

Bengals - just an average team?

They outplayed themselves last year and their O-line investment hasn't paid off yet

Hurts - I didn’t see that coming

Once they named him the starter, it ended all the bull crap surrounding him

AFC West - were the Chiefs dominance really ever in doubt? Broncos and Raiders seem to be non factors

New coaches rarely do well with new teams.

What are yours?

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I know we aren’t quite a quarter of the way (dang you game 17!) but I was thinking about all of the surprise players and teams around the league, both the good, the bad and the ugly. Here are some of mine: 

Kyle Pitts - where did he disappear to?!

Cowboys - somehow surprising still alive 

G-Men - Dabol has his boys finding a way

Pete Werner - never knew the guy but he seems like a stud

Bengals - just an average team?

Hurts - I didn’t see that coming

AFC West - were the Chiefs dominance really ever in doubt? Broncos and Raiders seem to be non factors

What are yours?

If he wins with Davis Webb I think that Brian Dabul should be in line for coach of the year

I probably stop by the Patriots boards too much - but the role reversal we've had w/ them is entertaining.

They're celebrating moral victories, complaining about how Mahomes & Allen receive preferential "star" treatment from the refs, and now they have a budding "QB controversy," starring 2 mediocre QB's.  They're also starting to talk about the 2023 draft in October.

It's kind of surreal to read.  You would have seen most of the same sentiments on here a decade ago.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Geno Smith is the most interesting for me.  Pete Carroll having that offense actually producing is surprising.  Although Rashad Penny is a stud.

Jets are not a good team - they are lucking into victories against bad teams

Dallas has had an easy schedule, and are finding ways to win.  They likely finish around 9-8

Giants are a very fortunate 3-1.   They should end the year with maybe 7 wins.  Barkley is playing out of his mind right now

Bengals were never a great team.  Teams are forcing Burrow to not throw to Chase, and he is simply holding the ball too long.  And their o-line has no consistency.  You think your frustrated with our run game?  Watch a Bengals game...

Couple surprises:

1) Didnt expect the Packers to struggle THIS much.  They look pedestrian

2) Brady looks old to me.  Yea his team will win 11-12 games, but he looks as bad as ive seen him look in his career.  I really think this is his last season

3) Nick Chubb is even better then I thought.  Might be the best back in the game.

1 minute ago, Cray51 said:

Geno Smith is the most interesting for me.  Pete Carroll having that offense actually producing is surprising.  Although Rashad Penny is a stud.

Jets are not a good team - they are lucking into victories against bad teams

Dallas has had an easy schedule, and are finding ways to win.  They likely finish around 9-8

Giants are a very fortunate 3-1.   They should end the year with maybe 7 wins.  Barkley is playing out of his mind right now

Bengals were never a great team.  Teams are forcing Burrow to not throw to Chase, and he is simply holding the ball too long.  And their o-line has no consistency.  You think your frustrated with our run game?  Watch a Bengals game...

Couple surprises:

1) Didnt expect the Packers to struggle THIS much.  They look pedestrian

2) Brady looks old to me.  Yea his team will win 11-12 games, but he looks as bad as ive seen him look in his career.  I really think this is his last season

3) Nick Chubb is even better then I thought.  Might be the best back in the game.

Free agent next year!

I'll start with the iggles , didn't see Hurts coming...How bad can a Hackett led team with Russell Wilson get? (Never liked his Dad or him).Let's give Dabs credit that roster at 3-1??? AFCW dominance? Not seeing it...The importance of having a true #1 WR, having 2 a needed luxury...Geno, need I say more...Chargers still Chargering (does that count?). Tua pulling fitzmagic not fitztragic (still don't believe in them, We lost that game more then they won it). Colts falling off the cliff and Jags looking like best team in AFCS...I expected more from Baker with his back against the wall too. I'll close with a thinly laid veil o0n the importance of a holder. Look no further than our friend Bojo and how many games he has lost with bad holds, just sayin'...

Edited by Craig Oi

1. Hurts and Eagles - Hurts is playing really well.  MVP candidate well.  

2. Wilson playing so poorly in Denver - many on this board said he was overrated.  Looks like they were correct

3. Mayfield being really awful - thought last year the poor play was his injured shoulder.  He is playing his way out of the NFL

4. Colts really being terrible - I had them running away with that division. Reich is going to lose his job

5. Doug Pederson - he is making Jacksonville respectable and Reich is getting worse.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

My surprise is the Chiefs.  I thought the loss of Hill would really take their offense down a few gears.

And yet they actually seem to have the strongest team they've had in the last 3 years.

I think they'll be a much harder out for us this year than last!

We need that playoff game in Highmark Stadium to crush the Chiefs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Top of the board surprises:

* Eagles. 4-0

* Miami   3-1 

* Dallas.  3-1. (Minus Prescott)

* Giants 3-1  (Without a real QB)

Not expected on the board:

* Bengals 2-2 

* Baltimore 2-2 (Blowing 2 big 4th QTR leads)

* Rodgers or Brady ARE not in the MVP Conversation 

* A very confusing NFC North 

* A competitive AFC East 

*. Three teams with at least 3 wins in NFC East 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

My surprise is the Chiefs.  I thought the loss of Hill would really take their offense down a few gears.

And yet they actually seem to have the strongest team they've had in the last 3 years.

I think they'll be a much harder out for us this year than last!

I mean true but not true.  Id say a little early to tell.  Just last week they lost to the Colts and only scored 17 points.  The Colts have played like dog ***** outside of that game.  They will always have a good offense with Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid though.

2 hours ago, CNYfan said:

Eagles' dominance.

Bengals average play.

Geno playing above average.  

2 hours ago, wjag said:

Geno Smith leading the NFL with an all time high passer rating of 77% through 4 games per some source I heard today somewhere..  

Geno Smith would have to be my biggest surprise yes.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

I agree about KC. They've played no one so far. The Cardinals, a very average team at best. The Raiders, are currently bad team. The Colts, are currently a bad team. And the Bucs, who are struggling at 2-2. The Bucs wins are from the first 2 weeks against Dallas(with Dak) and the Saints who are 1-3. The Bucs went into last night averaging less than 18 points a game. This is not the same Bucs team from the last few years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.