Rapoport - Pickett to start

Big Blitz

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No we don't.  Why blitz when we get there with 4? Let him try to throw into tight windows.

Because you don't give the rookie time to sit back and throw and hit his dumps in the short passing gane. You confuse him send blitzes and speed the game up. Guy isn't even going to know how to call protections. 

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Disagree 1

Just now, ArtVandalay said:

Because you don't give the rookie time to sit back and throw and hit his dumps in the short passing gane. You confuse him send blitzes and speed the game up. 

Again.  We get there quick with 4.  Have you not watched the games?

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yes we can get there with 4, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if we mix in more blitzes to take advantage of a rookie signal caller.

We may, but I doubt we blitz him all that much.  

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Trubisky should get comfortable with the knowledge that he will be a career backup and no team is going to give him started money. I wouldn't mind him coming back to Buffalo next year and spending the rest of his career being a Reich to Allen's Kelly

He's "only" made a little under $38 million in 6 years so far...he'll probably have to resort to panhandling in the offseason to make ends meet.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/mitchell-trubisky-21743/cash-earnings/

21 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

This trap game is a real concern.  I would have rather faced Mitch.  When teams start rookies they often get a great effort from everyone else because they know they need to step up their game.  Tomlin is really smart too.  He is starting the rookie knowing it will fire up his team.  Steelers are the Steelers.  We need to start out fast.  Can't give the kid any confidence. He can play.

I don't understand how so many can be quick to hubris and respond negatively to comments like this. As though the Jaguars game is ancient history or something. I hope no one on the roster or staff have this mentality.

Every team has world class athletes, the Steelers included. Upsets happen every week. And we have injuries all over the place. Look, I believe the Bills are going to win this game. But I don't view any game as a gimmie. Because any given sunday...

18 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Because you don't give the rookie time to sit back and throw and hit his dumps in the short passing gane. You confuse him send blitzes and speed the game up. Guy isn't even going to know how to call protections. 

The Bills blitz less than any team in the NFL - by a wide margin. They certainly are not going to change for Kenny Pickett. They disguise their pre snap coverages, get pressure with 4, and play disciplined in the secondary. I'm sure they will thow in a blitz here and there, but, for the most part, I expect them to play in the same way that has made them the number 1 pass defense in the NFL this year.

18 hours ago, zow2 said:

Probably a good move by Tomlin.  The Bills would know what to expect and anticipate from Trubisky.  Maybe there will be some element of surprise from Pickett. It’s a grasp, and likely won’t pay off. But i think it’s a sure thing loss if they start Mitch.

I think it was a move Tomlin had to make. That offense was doing nothing with Trubisky.

I watched the game and, FWIW, these were my observations. Pickett Pickett threw 13 passes with 3 interceptions. On the first two INTs, they weren't the best throws, but they both hit the receivers in the hands before being tipped by a defender and intercepted by another defender. The third INT was on a hail mary. He completed his other ten passes, some with a nice touch and good placement. He has a pretty quick release, seems to be pretty accurate, has a decent arm, and throws a pretty nice ball. He also seemed tough, fearless and fairly mobile - rushing for 2 TDs. He seemed to handle that offense much better than Trubisky and it wasn't as if it was garbage time - they were in the game until the end - and his teammates seemed to respond to him.

The Bills should win this game, but I think the change in QB will be better for the Steelers for the rest of this season.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

He's "only" made a little under $38 million in 6 years so far...he'll probably have to resort to panhandling in the offseason to make ends meet.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/mitchell-trubisky-21743/cash-earnings/

Good for him for having his earnings. The fact that Bears over -drafted him is not his fault. 

He can be an adequate backup in this league like several others before him. Money was not the point of my post but if he plays for another 8 years as a back up , he can add another $32 MM to his account. 

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Good for him for having his earnings. The fact that Bears over -drafted him is not his fault. 

He can be an adequate backup in this league like several others before him. Money was not the point of my post but if he plays for another 8 years as a back up , he can add another $32 MM to his account. 

I mean backup QB is where it's at...the only position in the NFL where what teams THINK you could do if you had to get into a live game can get you paid more than if you actually end up getting in the game.

Look at Chase Daniels as a backup QB pretty much his whole career making over $41 million.

The man has attempted a grand total of 261 NFL passes in 14 years. Paid lots of money, gets to play football, very little abuse on the body outside of some pre-season games...they got it made.

image.thumb.png.0bf823359e03c4cf15acec58a348b0ea.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

It's not so much as over draft as a bust. I went and looked at 2017 mocks and most of them had Mitch as the first QB off the board, ahead of Deshawn Watson and Mahomes. 

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think it was a move Tomlin had to make. That offense was doing nothing with Trubisky.

I watched the game and, FWIW, these were my observations. Pickett Pickett threw 13 passes with 3 interceptions. On the first two INTs, they weren't the best throws, but they both hit the receivers in the hands before being tipped by a defender and intercepted by another defender. The third INT was on a hail mary. He completed his other ten passes, some with a nice touch and good placement. He has a pretty quick release, seems to be pretty accurate, has a decent arm, and throws a pretty nice ball. He also seemed tough, fearless and fairly mobile - rushing for 2 TDs. He seemed to handle that offense much better than Trubisky and it wasn't as if it was garbage time - they were in the game until the end - and his teammates seemed to respond to him.

The Bills should win this game, but I think the change in QB will be better for the Steelers for the rest of this season.

What's likely to happen is he will make a few nice throws, Bills fans will wonder why we are giving up so many big plays(which are like 20 yard passes to us since we are so spoiled), we will get a few INTs and he will throw a bunch of short passes and at the end of the game you'll think he must have thrown for 250 yards but it will be like 160 yards.  Kinda like it happens every week with them.  Bills are the new "No Fly Zone" in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.