Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'd bet two loonies and a toonie that most of the starters are riding the bench by the 4th quarter.

Agree. For a 1:00 start I think outcome of this game will be decided sometime between 2:30 and 3:00. There will (should) be a decent amount of garbage time in the 2nd half.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The best running back in the world needs an OL that is well-coached and filling their assignments, keeping defenders off of him

There's a reason that year after year, NE was able to plug other team's discards, no-names and late round picks in and have a servicable run game - behind the meticulously coached machine that was the NE OL under Coach Scar

If McDermott wants a real running game, since he can't get Coach Scar, tell him to get an actual starting quality NFL OL

Josh would also run less if he weren't constantly having to evade defenders

It's little details right now that are killing the Bills in the run game mostly...I think by midseason we start seeing a big improvement once guys get comfortable executing those details better and understanding how things change in certain situations

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

You beat me to it! I honestly thought that was a spoof to see if anyone on here would catch it. Is that actually true? They must’ve all been QB sneaks at the goal line. 

Its real.  You can see his career stats at pro football reference

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's little details right now that are killing the Bills in the run game mostly...I think by midseason we start seeing a big improvement once guys get comfortable executing those details better and understanding how things change in certain situations

The little details are definitely a huge part of it. 

I made a listing of all 14 RB runs from the Ravens game.  I consider 3.3 Y/A to be a successful run play (moves the chains!) so if we look a 3 yd or greater run as a success (averaging to 3.3) we have 5 unsuccessful run plays, and 9 successful.  If we could just switch a couple of the unsuccessful run plays to the "success" column and get a few extra yards here and there, it would surely help.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

That’s a huge drop off from Cam!
I hadn’t realized the scale to #2. Let’s hope our guy is more Forever Young and less Fig Newton 

Allen has 33 now? 

Let's figure he gets 7 more this season.  Gets him to 40.   
If he plays until 36, that's apprx 10 more seasons. 
Let's be conservative and say he averages 4 per season 
That gets him to 80 

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is why I'm not in favor of shows like Kyle Brandt's Basement and the Go Long/Isaiah McKenzie show

The hosts build a rappore with their featured guest week by week and keep at it until they draw them out to say controversial stuff.

Then they take it out of context to fluff things up.

Didn't Pittsburgh make a point of saying if Josh Allen tried to run they would "treat him like a running back" last season, or was that another team?

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah yeah yeah that was all threatened before Cam Heyward. You are old to the party.

I remember Steelers players and coaches saying crap like that last year:

"If he runs it like a running back, we're going to hit him like a running back."

1 hour ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

They were definitely moving the ball that drive. The rest of the half, not so much. 

Allen was definitely moving the ball vs. Miami all game. Had issues getting in the end zone and even kicking FG's.  

My point is that passing yards are historically, negatively correlated with winning for just that reason: teams can pass a lot but if they have trouble getting into the end zone one way or another, the yards don't matter.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

This is why I'm not in favor of shows like Kyle Brandt's Basement and the Go Long/Isaiah McKenzie show

The hosts build a rappore with their featured guest week by week and keep at it until they draw them out to say controversial stuff.

Then they take it out of context to fluff things up.

Didn't Pittsburgh make a point of saying if Josh Allen tried to run they would "treat him like a running back" last season, or was that another team?

Yes that was the Steeler game last year.

But honestly, we didn't lose that game because of some talk show/etc.  We lost it because:

1. in the trenches, our OL specifically, played horrible

2. Daboll adjusted too late from our empty sets, to try running the ball/playaction under center.

3. Blocked punt for 6

4. Levi was called for a couple critical PI, on 50/50 jump balls to Claypool.

Of the above, I'm hopeful Dorsey adjusts accordingly and it already helps that TJnis out for them.  I'd be ready for the 50/50 passes again, Dane and Elam just need to get their heads around to make plays.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If it were up to me. I would pick the all whites (current) for preseason home games and the home opener. Pick one home game for all whites (throwback) and then every other home game including playoffs it would be blue over white.

1 hour ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

They were definitely moving the ball that drive. The rest of the half, not so much. 

Allen was definitely moving the ball vs. Miami all game. Had issues getting in the end zone and even kicking FG's.  

Ravens basically had one good drive the 2nd half.  Including their last drive of the first half prior to us scoring the TD to make it 20-10, their remaining possessions went:

3 plays, 5 yards, PUNT

1 play, -1 yard  EOH Kneeldown (after we scored the TD)

3 plays, -5 yards PUNT

5 plays, 18 yards PUNT

7 plays, 23 yards INT

14 plays, 93 yards INT

So outside the kneeldown they ran 32 plays for 134 yards or an average of 4.18 yards per play.

Even looking back further, the Ravens only had two really good drives the whole game.  The 81 yarder for their 2nd TD and the 93 yarder he threw the INT on.  Other than those and the initial 2 play 4 yard TD the Bills gifted them, they ran 34 plays for 91 yards or an average of 2.67 yards a play.

Bills D really for the most part held Baltimore in check outside of two drives.

Bills O on the other hand was rolling other than the one drive they had on Poyer's 1st INT at midfield...only drive from their 1st TD on that was under 9 plays and 51 yards. Can't really blame Harbaugh on not taking 3 with the Bills picking up steam after the slow start.

image.png.4f03b6f0f1893b4d98ad4e1e2992f7ea.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.