Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

I understand the "respect every opponent" perspective, but barring catastrophic injury, I don't see any way the Steelers win this one.

McDermott's defenses consistently dominate rookie quarterbacks. I don't have the exact numbers, but they OVERWHELMINGLY favor the Bills defense. Have the Bills under McDermott EVER lost to a rookie quarterback?

Beyond that, we're talking about the 24th ranked scoring offense in the league going against a defense that has allowed just seven total second half points across four games. A defense which has effectively limited McVay's Rams, Derrick Henry, and Lamar Jackson.  Forgive me for not believing that the insertion of a rookie quarterback is going to jumpstart the bottom tier Steelers offense enough to beat the Bills. I just don't see it.

This week looks like a relatively sure win to me. The following two games, against the Chiefs and Packers? THOSE games we can wring our hands about. But the Steelers? I'm not buying it.

Just like last year any given Sunday, but this is a game they should win.

29 minutes ago, appoo said:

Steelers offense worries me more than their D does, they have legit weapons with Diontae Johnson, Claypool, Pickens, Harris and Pat Fry. And Pickett might already be a better QB than Trubisky

One thing for certain, Pickett is going to give his playmakers a chance to make some plays.  For better or worse for them, he doesn't play it conservative like Mitch.

Agree, this is basically what I said in the point spread thread.  Their offense has loads of talent, their oline is horrendous though.  Kenny isn't a burner but he's definitely mobile and converted some drives last week (and alot at Pitt) using his legs...something to be aware of.  

This is the week to get the ground game and playaction going.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

I understand the "respect every opponent" perspective, but barring catastrophic injury, I don't see any way the Steelers win this one.

McDermott's defenses consistently dominate rookie quarterbacks. I don't have the exact numbers, but they OVERWHELMINGLY favor the Bills defense. Have the Bills under McDermott EVER lost to a rookie quarterback?

Beyond that, we're talking about the 24th ranked scoring offense in the league going against a defense that has allowed just seven total second half points across four games. A defense which has effectively limited McVay's Rams, Derrick Henry, and Lamar Jackson.  Forgive me for not believing that the insertion of a rookie quarterback is going to jumpstart the bottom tier Steelers offense enough to beat the Bills. I just don't see it.

This week looks like a relatively sure win to me. The following two games, against the Chiefs and Packers? THOSE games we can wring our hands about. But the Steelers? I'm not buying it.

I am not scarred by the Jags loss…but that was a rookie Trevor Lawrence at QB.

EDIT:  Also a rookie Mac Jones…

Edited by Son of a K-Gun
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

Mac Jones in the wind game last year

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

And Mac was even worse…didn’t say they were good.  Just answering the question “Have the Bills under McDermottEVER lost to a rookie quarterback?”

I didn't read that right. Also, in Josh't rookie year, the Bills lost to fellow rookie Sam Darnold and the NY Jets.

• Like (+1) 2

This should be a walk in the park with the talent disparity and the state of Pittsburgh’s offensive line

But a rookie QB in his first start is often frisky, and Pickett is going to be throwing up jump balls to their big WRs. It may be a frustrating game especially if the refs are calling ticky-tack hands penalties on Elam all day.  

I expect the Steelers to cover, but we should still beat them by 10.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This should be a walk in the park with the talent disparity and the state of Pittsburgh’s offensive line

But a rookie QB in his first start is often frisky, and Pickett is going to be throwing up jump balls to their big WRs. It may be a frustrating game especially if the refs are calling ticky-tack hands penalties on Elam all day.  

I expect the Steelers to cover, but we should still beat them by 10.

I don't care if they're calling ticky-tack penalties on Elam as long as they call them equally on both teams

4 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

This is a message board. Nothing that is posted here has any effect on the outcomes of the game. The Bills players and coaches, on the other hand, are always careful not to disrespect an opponent before a game. No Jalen Ramsey or Tyreek Hill loudmouths on this team. That's what counts.

Haha. Half of this board believes that injuries to Bills players starting from Titans game were caused by a poster here who had made a thread about low number of injuries he had up to that point :)

16 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Davis is playing hurt. A healthy Davis is a very formidable 1-2 punch. 

But he's had the familiar Sammy Watkins boo-boo foot for parts of all 3 seasons now though and has subsequently not been able to even reach the 600 yard receiving mark.

Despite no longer splitting snaps he's on pace to have a similar statistical season to the past two.

I don't question his toughness one bit and he is incredibly well conditioned.......he played every snap against Miami when Diggs was tapping out despite playing 30 less snaps.    But he's had bouts of inconsistency catching the ball in his career and when his foot is barking he's proven to be unproductive.    

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yes...they are 10-2 against rookie QB's, with both losses coming last year.  Once to Lawrence and then to Jones. They threw for a combined 137 yards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But he's had the familiar Sammy Watkins boo-boo foot for parts of all 3 seasons now though and has subsequently not been able to even reach the 600 yard receiving mark.

Despite no longer splitting snaps he's on pace to have a similar statistical season to the past two.

I don't question his toughness one bit and he is incredibly well conditioned.......he played every snap against Miami when Diggs was tapping out despite playing 30 less snaps.    But he's had bouts of inconsistency catching the ball in his career and when his foot is barking he's proven to be unproductive.    

Yeah the ankle issue is a bit frustrating. Started in 2020 going into post season or in post season ( I believe). I'm not sure if it's the same ankle or not, but he started very well til he injured in practice. Like I said I don't know if it's same ankle or if anyone else may know if it is or not.

But if he can somehow get it back to where it's not bothering him and keep it that way, I believe he can surpass 600 yd easily. That's a big IF though because it starting to look like a trend with it.

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah the ankle issue is a bit frustrating. Started in 2020 going into post season or in post season ( I believe). I'm not sure if it's the same ankle or not, but he started very well til he injured in practice. Like I said I don't know if it's same ankle or if anyone else may know if it is or not.

But if he can somehow get it back to where it's not bothering him and keep it that way, I believe he can surpass 600 yd easily. That's a big IF though because it starting to look like a trend with it.

Unfortunately they chose to not to address the position in the event that Davis wasn't up to the task of being a full time starter.    Your backup to WR1 and WR2 can't be the 7th best receiver on the roster like Jake Kumerow.     

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.