Week 5: Steelers at Bills 10/9 1pm

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Thought that was Dane on a corner blitz...very possible I'm mistaken tho

I saw one on Dane as well, thought it was number 30 anyway, guy grabbed his shoulder pad after he was already but and held it forever it seemed, no call

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

"It could be worse" isn't the point. The point is that even the best coaches in the league are often questioned for their decision making. The best coaches in the league can't win consistently without a top QB. McDermott isn't clearly the best coach in the league but he is clearly one of them.

I have no idea what point you were trying to make.......I didn't see what you said prior nor was I responding to you.

"It could be worse" wrt coaching staffs is just an excuse the timid use to excuse failure or to justify non-action.    As I said.......McDermott isn't on any kind of hot seat IMO.    But could he one day be seen as a Tony Dungy-in-Tampa type whose message runs its course and then be succeeded by a coach who gives the team a better chance to win a SB in that moment?   Even if that succeeding coach doesn't go on to win more overall games in his career or achieve some other metric of longevity that McDermott might?   Yes.   It's literally been done.   And ultimately it's about winning SB's.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have no idea what point you were trying to make.......I didn't see what you said prior nor was I responding to you.

"It could be worse" wrt coaching staffs is just an excuse the timid use to excuse failure or to justify non-action.    As I said.......McDermott isn't on any kind of hot seat IMO.    But could he one day be seen as a Tony Dungy-in-Tampa type whose message runs its course and then be succeeded by a coach who gives the team a better chance to win a SB in that moment?   Even if that succeeding coach doesn't go on to win more overall games in his career or achieve some other metric of longevity that McDermott might?   Yes.   It's literally been done.   And ultimately it's about winning SB's.

I don't think the point you responded to is that "it could be worse." No one is comparing McDermott to Nate Hackett. He's being compared to coaches like Tomlin and Harbaugh and Belichick in the sense that even great coaches make questionable decisions. It's NOT that we should feel lucky because things could always be worse, it's that it's really hard to find better than what we have in McDermott. We are several years away from even having the conversation about replacing him.

Andy Reid was with the Eagles for 13 years. McDermott is just about at the halfway point of that time frame. Pederson wasn't fired because he was a poor coach, he was fired because he got in an internal battle with the GM and the GM won. If Allen is approaching his age 30 season and we still don't have a Lombardi I will entertain the notion of moving on from McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

I don't trust our head coach. So yes, I am concerned with every game. Between our loss to the Jaguars last year, our first half against the Bucs, our blowout loss to the Titans at home, and our playoff loss to the Chiefs last year, I have reason to be concerned.  And that doesn't include the wind game against the Pats or the opening loss to the Steelers.  1 or 2 bad games is ok, not 5 or 6 of them. We started again this year with the incomplete games.  Week in and week out this team is not playing up to what it is capable of doing. 

You are clearly a recent band-wagon fan. McDermott is inarguably one of the top 4 coaches in the franchise history (62 years long) and arguably top 2. 

Please move on to root for a team with an all-time great coach like Belichick. They are doing fantastic this year, just like Tomlin's Steelers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Pegula doesn't seem like the kind of owner who will make that move even if it needs to be done.  I think he's perfectly happy just being in the hunt every season.

17 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Edmunds is squashing the doubters this season and I'm so glad to see it. But his sideline chatter does not fire me up, lol. (If this clip is emblematic of how he tries to hype up teammates).

He's got to work on his face. Dude looks like he's giggling.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

The Steelers are extremely well coached. Much better than the Bills.  This game is not a gimme. My biggest concern is overlooking this game because of the Chiefs the following week.  I think people are going to realize we have flaws that the injuries and weather excuses have been covering.

1) We can't run the ball   2) We lack consistency.   This is the game to get on track.  

#1 is true

#2 is only true of the offense, the defense has been consistently great

The offense has had trouble putting up points in the last two games in tough road environments. But I think they will regain a lot of their form finally coming back home for only their second home game of the season. Also, despite the offensive struggles in the last two road games they put up 500 yards of offense in a loss and scored two TD's and two FG's on their final 5 possessions against the Ravens. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The point is that the Eagles have defied the idiots who believe that the success of coaching hires is random and therefore you shouldn't fire one if he has had some success.

Getting AJ Brown was a great, aggressive move though.   Sign me up for having two #1 receivers.   If the Bills had that they'd be 4-0 with a bullet right now.    

Davis is playing hurt. A healthy Davis is a very formidable 1-2 punch. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The point is that the Eagles have defied the idiots who believe that the success of coaching hires is random and therefore you shouldn't fire one if he has had some success.

Getting AJ Brown was a great, aggressive move though.   Sign me up for having two #1 receivers.   If the Bills had that they'd be 4-0 with a bullet right now.    

The point is the teams they've played are a collective 7-9 and you are making it sound like it's the coach

Steelers were the only team since the 1970 merger to never be a 14+ point underdog.

Until this week.

https://twitter.com/DavidPurdum/status/1577018689525673984?s=20&t=DlcXklhImdvmFKvIIrwB1Q

18 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Weren't we bigger underdogs against the Vikings?

Yeah 16 or 17 I think

Edited by Big Turk

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Steelers were the only team since the 1970 merger to never be a 14+ point underdog.

Until this week.

https://twitter.com/DavidPurdum/status/1577018689525673984?s=20&t=DlcXklhImdvmFKvIIrwB1Q

Yeah 16 or 17 I think

Thanks a lot, Vegas.

Luckily, the Bills have the organizational quality to overcome this kind of potential motivational deficit. They're a proud group.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.