First quarter of schedule complete

TFBillsfan

With four games in the books, curious how everyone would assess our first quarter of games. The Bills sit 3-1 and could be 4-0 outside of some unique mistakes against Miami. Realistically I believe most of us would be happy to be 3-1 at this point in the schedule. Based upon everything thus far I’d give us a B+/A-

Positives:

When this team is firing on all cylinders it’s a thing of beauty!
Resilency this team has shown with all the injuries is fantastic. This should serve us well later in the season.

LB play by Milano and Edmunds has been outstanding 

Beating TN and Baltimore are huge wins against AFC division opponents who may win their divisions.

Welcome to the team Von Miller

Dorsey for Daboll. Thus far Dorsey has done a great job. Love the intensity. Still room to grow.

Playmakers making plays! Josh, Diggs, Von, Rousseau, Milano, Edmunds, Poyer

Jordan Poyer with four interceptions and being a leader of the secondary
Josh Freakin Allen

Front four

Rookie secondary of Elam and Benford. Exceeded expectations 

3-1 with only one home game thus far! Bills Mafia is ready for some more home games.

Areas for improvement:

Inability to run effectively in short yardage situations outside of Josh. So frustrating!

Injuries, injuries and more injuries. Hopeful we get healthy and stay healthy.

3rd and long defensively. Gotta get better

Offensive run blocking and playcalling related to running

TE production
Usage of when Moss is used is headscratching at times

Gifted opponents points. Two games in a row.

I’m sure I’m missing some things. On to the next quarter of games. Need to finish this quarter at the minimums of 3-1 as well . Two games at home and two on the road with a bye in between. Hopeful we get some players back healthy and Tre is hungry and ready to contribute. 

LETS GO BUFFALO!

Edited by TFBillsfan
  • Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

With four games in the books, curious how everyone would assess our first quarter of games. The Bills sit 3-1 and could be 4-0 outside of some unique mistakes against Miami. Realistically I believe most of us would be happy to be 3-1 at this point in the schedule. Based upon everything thus far I’d give us a B+/A-

Positives:

When this team is firing on all cylinders it’s a thing of beauty!
Resilency this team has shown with all the injuries is fantastic. This should serve us well later in the season.

LB play by Milano and Edmunds has been outstanding 

Beating TN and Baltimore are huge wins against AFC division opponents who may win their divisions.

Welcome to the team Von Miller

Dorsey for Daboll. Thus far Dorsey has done a great job. Love the intensity. Still room to grow.

Playmakers making plays! Josh, Diggs, Von, Rousseau, Milano, Edmunds, Poyer

Jordan Poyer with four interceptions and being a leader of the secondary
Josh Freakin Allen

Front four

Rookie secondary of Elam and Benford. Exceeded expectations 

3-1 with only one home game thus far! Bills Mafia is ready for some more home games.

Areas for improvement:

Inability to run effectively in short yardage situations outside of Josh. So frustrating!

Injuries, injuries and more injuries. Hopeful we get healthy and stay healthy.

3rd and long defensively. Gotta get better

Offensive run blocking and playcalling related to running

TE production
Usage of when Moss is used is headscratching at times

Gifted opponents points. Two games in a row.

I’m sure I’m missing some things. On to the next quarter of games. Need to finish this quarter at the minimums of 3-1 as well . Two games at home and two on the road with a bye in between. Hopeful we get some players back healthy and Tre is hungry and ready to contribute. 

LETS GO BUFFALO!

Multiple 3rd and 1s.  Multiple completely blown up plays when we try and go jumbo/heavy.  I don't know of a back who can make anything happen when his lineman is in his lap by the time he gets the ball.  

The big one in this one was... about as lucky a play as you will see.  There was a 3rd and 8 blitz where I'm not sure what we were doing but almost half their team was open.  

Moss usage is so strange - they're starting to use motor more as an every down guy, but you really don't want that for a full season.  On the road in a big game, sure - but whatever we're calling playcall wise with moss on the field is just dumb.  I'm sure they are RPOs or something but shotgun runs up the middle are just wasted plays at this point.  Gotta get away from the wasted run plays - and use the run game to get us into more manageable 3rd downs.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

The Bills are not championship caliber yet.  They are still just playoff caliber.  They need to play all 4 quarters.  The Chiefs game in 2 weeks will tell us a ton about the Bills.  Teams like the Chiefs are not teams like the Ravens. Teams like the Ravens disappear late. Teams like the Chiefs will beat you if you don't play a complete game.  We will know all we need to know about the Bills in 2 weeks.  Are they going to continue being a playoff caliber team or are they going to make the jump to championship caliber.  The talent is there.  Not sure the coaching is. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Bills2022 said:

The Bills are not championship caliber yet.  They are still just playoff caliber.  They need to play all 4 quarters.  The Chiefs game in 2 weeks will tell us a ton about the Bills.  Teams like the Chiefs are not teams like the Ravens. Teams like the Ravens disappear late. Teams like the Chiefs will beat you if you don't play a complete game.  We will know all we need to know about the Bills in 2 weeks.  Are they going to continue being a playoff caliber team or are they going to make the jump to championship caliber.  The talent is there.  Not sure the coaching is. 

I don’t dispute your statement but I also am not going to overreact one way or another on the outcome of the Chiefs game in week 6. While the Chiefs are a major challenge for the Bills to get to their ultimate goal, they also aren’t perfect. They just got beat by Indy last week and I like our D more than theirs. But I do agree we can’t give them easy points like TB did or like we have done against MIA or Balt.

The Bills also have beaten the prior SB champions and #1 seed last season from the AFC. 

Edited by TFBillsfan

9 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

How about those championship caliber Chiefs in Indianapolis last week, huh? That was four quarters of solid football on their part. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As for the nfl as a whole…..

in the AFC…..browns, ravens, and bengals areal 2-3. Any one of them could have been 4-0.

I predicted jacksonville would win the south in the other thread.  The team lost 2 nfc games. Both could have been won if they played mistake free.

vegas got snake bitten losing 3 games in the final minutes.

denver hasn’t played well as I expected.  I understand they have a new QB issue. Something is off there.

on the nfc…

giants are a surprise.

cowboys without Zdak are a surprise

i wasn’t high on them, but many were high on the saints.

i think in the nfc 2 of the WCs will be 9-8 teams. I don’t think we will see a dominant division winner with 13+ wins.

It's funny that we lost the one game out of four that we all penciled in as a win when the schedule came out.  It was the other games, the Rams, Titans, and Ravens that we were worried about.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

Using the Chiefs regular season game this year as “championship-quality” barometer is as pointless as using last year’s regular season Chiefs game. The Bills go to Arrowhead and whoop tail and for what…? 
it’s a one week at a time league. It’s not just cliche when McD, Allen, Diggs, and Miller say that over and over. The key is to win enough regular season games to secure the number 1 seed. One single regular season win or loss is never a true indication of “championship quality.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The most shocking thing to me is that Geno Smith has completed 77% of his passes through 4 games which is the highest rate in NFL history through 4 games...

Could he finally be living up to his talent? Are we about to see Rich Gannon part II?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

They need to figure out how to run the ball when it's not Josh Allen doing it. They need to be WAY better on short yardage in general.

They haven't been able to figure it out in 2+ years, chances are it ain't happening. Besides handing it off takes the ball out of the hands of the best player in the NFL. I would agree they should keep it to a minimum until December, but Josh did a much better job yesterday of getting the yards available then getting down.

Baby steps I guess. That being said, Josh isn't your normal QB, he's a big tough farm boy with a LBers mentality. The Bills offense is so much harder to defend in games that Josh makes it a point to run, ask any DC.

42 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

You could say the same thing about the chiefs so by your definition I don’t think there is a Super Bowl caliber team…it’s pretty rare that a team absolutely blows the doors off somebody for 4 straight quarters.  It’s a game of adjustments.  

the chiefs destroyed two teams and didn’t look very good in their other win.  Chargers were dominating against them and Herbert just made that huge mistake on the pick 6 in the end zone.  

I don’t even think the chiefs game will tell us much it’s still very early in the season. We spanked the chiefs in a similar situation last year then hit a rough patch 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

39 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Multiple 3rd and 1s.  Multiple completely blown up plays when we try and go jumbo/heavy.  I don't know of a back who can make anything happen when his lineman is in his lap by the time he gets the ball.  

The big one in this one was... about as lucky a play as you will see.  There was a 3rd and 8 blitz where I'm not sure what we were doing but almost half their team was open.  

Moss usage is so strange - they're starting to use motor more as an every down guy, but you really don't want that for a full season.  On the road in a big game, sure - but whatever we're calling playcall wise with moss on the field is just dumb.  I'm sure they are RPOs or something but shotgun runs up the middle are just wasted plays at this point.  Gotta get away from the wasted run plays - and use the run game to get us into more manageable 3rd downs.  

We should basically call "play action" on every 3rd & 1. Teams are sticking 9 in the box. Our OL sucks run blocking until we start pulling guards like Dabs did late last year.

I’m in love with our DL——and Ed and Phillips have only played moments. 

Rousseau and Jones have been revelations.   Rousseau is looking like a future pro bowler.  Possible all pro.  He can be dynamic.  2 steps and he’s on top of the qb on the inside stunts. Impressive.  Jones is what we had been hoping for from Star and Phillips and more.  His pass rush has been much better than I anticipated.  

I expected dominance from Von. He’s given it to us.

Shaq made a huge play on the 2nd Poyer pick.  He caused the int. 

epenesa and Basham have both flashed and shown to be capable depth imo.  

Settles injury is likely still hampering him somewhat - but he held his lanes played well vs the ravens. 

Big investment in the DL has turned a weakness into our best unit.  Dominance.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

As of today: Bills and Chiefs are still the class of the AFC. My non-rose colored glasses opinion is that its still a 50-50 on who wins that AFC championship game. Knocking on the door you have the Dolphins (see how Tua plays out though) and Ravens. The should be better - its a long season teams are Cinci, LAC and Ten. So basically the same as last year, all about Bills and Chiefs with a few others trying to join/ruin the party. As for a Super Bowl, I dont see any NFC team as better than Bills or Chiefs. Phi will come back to earth as will NYG and DAL. MIN and GB are not very good 3-1's. TB looks old. Rams will get better but not looking great thus far.  

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The most shocking thing to me is that Geno Smith has completed 77% of his passes through 4 games which is the highest rate in NFL history through 4 games...

Could he finally be living up to his talent? Are we about to see Rich Gannon part II?

I'd be thrilled for him if that happened. He's kept working for years and hanging around in the league.

Positive: Greg Rousseau is a beast on the line against pass and run

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.