Singletary un-touchdown, rule

SoMAn

41 minutes ago, eball said:

A player can "give himself up" on the field; he doesn't have to be tackled.

I can't imagine the league would allow defenders to carry a player into the end zone.

Once he goes down and gives himself up he can’t be pushed in. But if he is still upright and moving he can be pushed or pulled in.

46 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well if he gave himself up on the ground the minute he was touched he would be ruled down.  

In this case, he wouldn't even need to be touched for the play to end. Just take a knee, and by doing so, he gives himself up. The whistle is blown.

I believe once defenders have control of the ball-carrier (so that he can't advance?), the play is whistled dead.  So I believe Singletary could theoretically  lift his feet off the ground (w/ no self imposed forward momentum) & the play should end.

As I'm not sure about the specifics of the rule & given the interpretation (& necessary prompt whistle), I'm not optimistic that it would work & therefore isn't a prudent strategy.

9 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

I believe once defenders have control of the ball-carrier (so that he can't advance?), the play is whistled dead.  So I believe Singletary could theoretically  lift his feet off the ground (w/ no self imposed forward momentum) & the play should end.

As I'm not sure about the specifics of the rule & given the interpretation (& necessary prompt whistle), I'm not optimistic that it would work & therefore isn't a prudent strategy.

The problem is then you're having to make a subjective determination to override a commonly accepted precedent otherwise.  This is a solution in search of a problem.

1 hour ago, eball said:

A player can "give himself up" on the field; he doesn't have to be tackled.

I can't imagine the league would allow defenders to carry a player into the end zone.

Once on the ground, if touched, he's down. You can't carry him.  You can only carry him if he stays upright.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Raven's fans still think that he was going to go in for the touchdown.

It was then big that Allen got the 1st down without scoring also which ensured that there'd be no time left on the clock.

The Bills did everything right the last 2 mins

How often in the last decade have we said that?😀

2 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

How often in the last decade have we said that?😀

When they blow out teams the last two minutes are inconsequential, but of late the Bills have not been very good.

Credit where credit is due, "The best prepared Coach in the NFL" (just for you Teef😝) made the right calls (heck even had his timeouts).......😉

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Seen the player pushed over the goal line.  Singletary made sure that couldn't happen.

As long as he wasn't down, i.e. knee/elbow to the ground.  If his knee is on the ground and then touched, he is down by contact.

4 hours ago, stevewin said:

This was an underrated great play in the sequence - for Josh to know exactly where to go to get the first and not score, and then to actually execute it with such a small margin for error and bodies everywhere - just a great play

I wish we could run this sneak on regular 3rd and 4th and 1s!

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Raven's fans still think that he was going to go in for the touchdown.

It was then big that Allen got the 1st down without scoring also which ensured that there'd be no time left on the clock.

The Bills did everything right the last 2 mins

Including running the football effectively 

4 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Not sure if this has been brought up since yesterdays win.

One of the stranger circumstances that can occur in a game is a player carrying the ball (Singletary)but not wanting to go into the end zone, even though it’s right there. At the same time the opposition wants him to score.  The Ravens know the best odds of getting the ball back for their offense is to let him score so there will be time left to march upfield. 
So here’s my question: 

As Singletary is trying to stop at the one yard line and go down to give himself up, hypothetically, could the Ravens’ defenders have forced a TD by holding him upright and carrying him into the end zone against his will?
Anyone know what the rule book says about that? 

They can push him in…but if it’s obvious they could get a 15 yr penalty for it.

that happened at s Pats at Bills game the bills won like 31-30 on a game winning kick as clock expired.  The defense tried to pull the RB into the end zone.  Got penalized. It reset the downs and the hills just did kneels then kicked to win.

3 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

it falls under unsportsmanlike conduct.  Push/ pull a player in or lifting and carrying them in would be called.

since it’s under 2 minutes other rules apply that could give buffalo the option of not allowing the TD because it’s known buffalo wants to win and burn the clock.

5 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Not sure if this has been brought up since yesterdays win.

One of the stranger circumstances that can occur in a game is a player carrying the ball (Singletary)but not wanting to go into the end zone, even though it’s right there. At the same time the opposition wants him to score.  The Ravens know the best odds of getting the ball back for their offense is to let him score so there will be time left to march upfield. 
So here’s my question: 

As Singletary is trying to stop at the one yard line and go down to give himself up, hypothetically, could the Ravens’ defenders have forced a TD by holding him upright and carrying him into the end zone against his will?
Anyone know what the rule book says about that? 

yes it has been done in the past.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.