Isaiah McKenzie concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The world has changed post Tua.  

Tua didn't go into concussion protocol, didn't have to clear it, and played on a short week, it's not the same thing.

Ryan Bates literally played this week.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Honestly, I liked it better when the Bills used him as a "gadget" player. Seemed to impact the offense better

Just no. In his first 5 years combined he had only 7 TD Catches, he already has 3 in 4 games this year. He's within 129 yards of his career best in yards with 13 games to go and is averaging 10.2 yards a catch, the best in his career. He's having a bigger impact on the offense, not lesser one.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The world has changed post Tua.  

It's not that dramatic. The changes will likely be in the initial screenings and preventing guys from going back into games that are in process. Some guys may end up being held out longer than previously, but it wont be anything too crazy. I expect McK back next week.

21 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He might be medically cleared but i would be stunned if Mcdermott allows him to play.

I think McD and our staff already have a track record of erring on the side of caution. And props to them for that.

Given that, I think McD fully trusts our training staff and if they clear a player, McD will play them.

That said, Pittsburgh STINKS, so if there is a game to hold guys out and let them heal completely to get ready for KC, this would be it.

Side note: I agree that this entire Tua fiasco has shown how completely in-over-his-head McDaniel is when it comes to being a complete HC. It goes way farther than just scheming and calling plays. It is setting the tone and culture for every department in the organization. And McDaniel looked FOOLISH this week every time he opened his mouth.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Hard to say how bad he may be, but this is a good sign that maybe yesterday was a precautionary move for a not so serious situation.

The Bills as an organization take player health seriously.  They will not pull a Tua and put someone’s overall well being and career at risk.

Especially in week 4

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Must not be bad? I assumed the medical team would require him to take the week off from his live show

They could certainly recommend that he do so, but I suppose sitting in front of a mic in a pub could be considered "rest"?

As long as there aren't active symptoms like headache, nausea, dizziness etc - the only actual studies I know involve limiting screen time for the first 48 hrs and also limiting physical activity.

44 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Honestly, I liked it better when the Bills used him as a "gadget" player. Seemed to impact the offense better

I think McKenzie has been very solid.  Should've had a game winning TD against Miami as well.  

He's a different player than Cole Beasley, and due to Crowder not making much of an impact, the slot position has been less effective than year's past.. but McKenzie is a good player.  

I do agree that McKenzie and/or Shakir should be given more gadget/screen type opportunities.. especially if we need to pass as an extension of the run game. 

Edited by SCBills

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Do you have examples?

Well only since you asked...

His handling of his vaccination, and not following protocols, and getting fined, and then saying he was vaccinated the whole time, but then announcing when he was finally vaccinated a couple weeks later. I dont even care about the vaccination stuff, but act right and get your story straight, dude.

His behavior after getting pulled/benched from the game after his bad fumble, and his reactions on social media, and it was no secret he was an annoying malcontent in the locker room for a bit.

The decision making on that play and others that has been head-scratching at times, making him a liability on returns. There's a reason we don't see him fielding punts anymore, and only kickoffs where the majority go for touch backs.

His "too jokey" demeanor when others are locked in and focused.

I don't have anything personally against him, and hope he does well. But his dumbassery is no secret. I know they brought him back with a new contract, but it seemed that was due to lack of other options more than "we MUST get THIS GUY back".

• Disagree 1

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure what stage he’s in but seems like they are supposed to stay in a Dark room at first and this was just yesterday that it occurred 

I think the "dark room" advice has been superceded.

Here's an example of current CDC protocols

https://www.verywellhealth.com/concussion-protocol-5195083

Nothing about dark room, just initial rest - also, driven by symptoms.

Note that some studies of screen time looked at limiting it in the first 48 hrs.  Show is Tues nite, >48 hrs will have passed.

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well only since you asked...

His handling of his vaccination, and not following protocols, and getting fined, and then saying he was vaccinated the whole time, but then announcing when he was finally vaccinated a couple weeks later. I dont even care about the vaccination stuff, but act right and get your story straight, dude.

His behavior after getting pulled/benched from the game after his bad fumble, and his reactions on social media, and it was no secret he was an annoying malcontent in the locker room for a bit.

The decision making on that play and others that has been head-scratching at times, making him a liability on returns. There's a reason we don't see him fielding punts anymore, and only kickoffs where the majority go for touch backs.

His "too jokey" demeanor when others are locked in and focused.

I don't have anything personally against him, and hope he does well. But his dumbassery is no secret. I know they brought him back with a new contract, but it seemed that was due to lack of other options more than "we MUST get THIS GUY back".

Could have fooled me.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If he goes through the protocol and is cleared I'd bet he's playing, McDermott played Josh the week after the Patriots game he got taken out of when he cleared protocol, I'd imagine he'd do the same here.

And just did the same with Bates.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

I think McKenzie has been very solid.  Should've had a game winning TD against Miami as well.  

He's a different player than Cole Beasley, and due to Crowder not making much of an impact, the slot position has been less effective than year's past.. but McKenzie is a good player in the slot. 

Beasley wasn't a very effective player last year.  He could still get open but there was just not much there from a YAC perspective.  He started to see his snap counts go down as the year went on and they preferred using Mckenzie and Singletary as safety valves a bit more.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He might be medically cleared but i would be stunned if Mcdermott allows him to play.

I heard that functional idiot of a Head Coach McDaniel and his Mcgruber comment as if that somehow minimized the severity of the entire Tua fiasco.

Bates cleared in a week. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.