Jamison Crowder, reported with broken ankle

marck

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The problem is Davis is unreliable. He’s either hurt, inconsistent or both. 

It’s an overrated group by Bills fans IMO and as we’ve seen the last few games the offense is basically the Josh Allen show…. They are void of one more playmaker to take the load off Allen. I think OBJ will very much be in play later in the season. 

We’ll see.  I think shakir can be a real playmaker if Dorsey uses him.  I had him as. 2nd rd talent and the top WR on the board when we picked cook.  I just hope he gets the opportunity.  I can’t say I’m upset that crowder got hurt.  He was in the way of shakir making a difference.  Crowder was more valuable as a punt returner than WR.  

Then there’s James Cook.  I was never a big fan of him as RB, but he’s super smooth out there with his routes and hands looked as natural as they come in college. Tough start but we can’t base his whole career on his first 4 games.  The kid is talented. 

We paid Dawson Knox. He has the athletic ability.  He’s just not getting targets. 

Mckenzie has rare speed and Josh trusts him.  Expect more big 3rd down conversion coming from Dirt.  

Singletary is better than most think.  He makes plays.  

Quintin Morris- I think he’s talented and a nice fit as TE2.  His blocking has improved and he’s got some skills as a receiver.  

Zack Moss- diaf

kumerow has shown capable and is a beast in the run game and ST.  

Diggs- the man 

Bad weather holds us back much more than the talent of our pass catchers.  

Josh makes all these plays with his legs on 3rd and 4th.  Not because we lack talent, but because he’s almost unstoppable on the move and the chances of converting the 1st go up if he’s in position to run or pass. 

Davis—— I agree. The ankle will always be an issue.  

I’d like to add WR talent.  Don’t get me wrong.  But we can win the SB with this  unit considering the overall talent on the team.  We’re loaded.  

Edited by NewEra

8 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Absolutely no one around here was talking about either of these players experiencing injuries.  Or, that the team needed more WR help.   

No one.  :lol:

Yeah and I remember some people on here saying we invested too much into the DL and the secondary. Turns out we needed every bit of that investment just to field a starting caliber defense in the first quarter of the season. Nobody knows what depth a team will end up needing. All you can do is build the best depth you can in as many spots as possible and cross your fingers that it doesn't have to get tested too much. 3-1 in the toughest 4 game stretch of our schedule with this many injuries means that Beane did his job building the roster. Perfect, no. But I'll stack our depth against any team in the league.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The problem is Davis is unreliable. He’s either hurt, inconsistent or both. 

It’s an overrated group by Bills fans IMO and as we’ve seen the last few games the offense is basically the Josh Allen show…. They are void of one more playmaker to take the load off Allen. I think OBJ will very much be in play later in the season. 

Oh how quickly we forget just how good a healthy Gabe Davis looks like from last season got a throw out them labels that make it sound like this is who the player is beginning to have an injury

14 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Not a critical loss.  I think McKenzie and Shakir will share the slot receiver load.  Tavon Austin is available if we need him.

Yea because Tavon Austin has been great everywhere he’s been. 

also having McKenzie and Austin is redundant. Austin is a lesser McKenzie at this point. 

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah and I remember some people on here saying we invested too much into the DL and the secondary. Turns out we needed every bit of that investment just to field a starting caliber defense in the first quarter of the season. Nobody knows what depth a team will end up needing. All you can do is build the best depth you can in as many spots as possible and cross your fingers that it doesn't have to get tested too much. 3-1 in the toughest 4 game stretch of our schedule with this many injuries means that Beane did his job building the roster. Perfect, no. But I'll stack our depth against any team in the league.

The issue is OBD made (again) a decision to invest more on defense this off-season and I say that fully agreeing with the decision to sign Von Miller.  

They recognized that Josh was needing to do too much and too frequently need to run to extend drives.  Fully agree there as well.  

They decided the best way to help Josh was taking the ball out of his hands and having a better running game.  To do that, they believed the new OC, same RBs, changes to blocking scheme, a 13 year vet on a 1 year deal and a 2nd round RB would accomplish this.  They proceeded to throw token attention to WR, a position the GM (IIRC) admitted was thin during camp.     

Through 4 games RB/WR have 64 carries for 277 yards and 0 TDs.  Josh is still running it on average 8 times a game and has 40% of their rushing yards.  He was, through the final 7 or so games last season running it about the same number of times.    

The better answer was to find another solid outside WR and improve the OL with guys who could give Josh time to throw.  And not need another 4 DL (save Miller) to keep McD's defensive rotation intact.    

It's early and the schedule was not kind to begin the season, but early returns are not good .  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The issue is OBD made (again) a decision to invest more on defense this off-season and I say that fully agreeing with the decision to sign Von Miller.  

They recognized that Josh was needing to do too much and too frequently need to run to extend drives.  Fully agree there as well.  

They decided the best way to help Josh was taking the ball out of his hands and having a better running game.  To do that, they believed the new OC, same RBs, changes to blocking scheme, a 13 year vet on a 1 year deal and a 2nd round RB would accomplish this.  They proceeded to throw token attention to WR, a position the GM (IIRC) admitted was thin during camp.     

Through 4 games RB/WR have 64 carries for 277 yards and 0 TDs.  Josh is still running it on average 8 times a game and has 40% of their rushing yards.  He was, through the final 7 or so games last season running it about the same number of times.    

The better answer was to find another solid outside WR and improve the OL with guys who could give Josh time to throw.  And not need another 4 DL (save Miller) to keep McD's defensive rotation intact.    

It's early and the schedule was not kind to begin the season, but early returns are not good .  

They attempted to get kirk - were priced out.  I'm certain they were lookin at WR in 1 and 2, but they flew off the board.  Shakir is a solid consolation prize.  

Davis is in year 3, and was slated to become #2.  crowder and mckenzie were to upgrade the beasley snaps/targets, but also adding cook was supposed to add an element that was missing.  They have just been using singletary to accomplish it so far, but they wanted to get the backs more involved in the passing game.  

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Is T.Y. Hilton a UFA?

He's probably injured again.  

15 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They attempted to get kirk - were priced out.  I'm certain they were lookin at WR in 1 and 2, but they flew off the board.  Shakir is a solid consolation prize.  

Davis is in year 3, and was slated to become #2.  crowder and mckenzie were to upgrade the beasley snaps/targets, but also adding cook was supposed to add an element that was missing.  They have just been using singletary to accomplish it so far, but they wanted to get the backs more involved in the passing game.  

He's probably injured again.  

Last night I saw the best YAC guy in the NFL take one 51 yards after a 6 yard reception for a TD.  Crowder and McKenzie have never done that. Shakir aint't that guy and Cook as a RB isn't going to do it either.  

All of the WR's you mention are short to intermediate guys save Davis, who has been/is hampered with injuries 3 of his 3 seasons.  Backs don't typically take passes to the house, nor do slot receivers.  

Maybe the offensive philosophy needs to change and then the type of receivers/OL to do that.  

9 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Last night I saw the best YAC guy in the NFL take one 51 yards after a 6 yard reception for a TD.  Crowder and McKenzie have never done that. Shakir aint't that guy and Cook as a RB isn't going to do it either.  

All of the WR's you mention are short to intermediate guys save Davis, who has been/is hampered with injuries 3 of his 3 seasons.  Backs don't typically take passes to the house, nor do slot receivers.  

Maybe the offensive philosophy needs to change and then the type of receivers/OL to do that.  

What i was trying to say is - we wanted to make a move at WR and it didn't happen in FA because of cap space and it didn't happen in the draft because of where we picked in each round.  They missed on kirk, ended up with crowder.  Missed on Mckissic, ended up with Duke and selected Cook.

Deebo did have an amazing play, and is generally an amazing player.  So is Diggs.  So i'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

What i was trying to say is - we wanted to make a move at WR and it didn't happen in FA because of cap space and it didn't happen in the draft because of where we picked in each round.  They missed on kirk, ended up with crowder.  Missed on Mckissic, ended up with Duke and selected Cook.

Deebo did have an amazing play, and is generally an amazing player.  So is Diggs.  So i'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  

It cost 11M in cap space to sign Jones, Settle, Phillips, and Lawson to that DL.  Shades of 2018 when they preached being cap poor to clean out the previous regime's issues but still had the money to sign Star to an inflated contract.  

And that doesn't mean trying to run the ball more or find more slot receivers to shorten the offensive field for Josh.  In the cap era you can't have 2 elite sides of the ball nor should a team with Josh Allen expect him to make things happen on offense.  He has to be surrounded with better talent.    

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

His point is what it always is: Some variation of "Beane sucks"

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Yea because Tavon Austin has been great everywhere he’s been. 

also having McKenzie and Austin is redundant. Austin is a lesser McKenzie at this point. 

In my post, I did say "if needed."  By that, I mean if an injury happens to McKenzie or Shakir.  Regardless of what Austin has or hasn't done in his career, he does have a skill set that might enable him to produce in the right circumstances.  The Bills think that is enough of a possibility to keep him on the roster.  It wouldn't be the first time a player blossoms on his third or fourth team after having struggled early in his career.

17 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

In my post, I did say "if needed."  By that, I mean if an injury happens to McKenzie or Shakir.  Regardless of what Austin has or hasn't done in his career, he does have a skill set that might enable him to produce in the right circumstances.  The Bills think that is enough of a possibility to keep him on the roster.  It wouldn't be the first time a player blossoms on his third or fourth team after having struggled early in his career.

Austin is 31 and on his 5th or 6th team.

He's averaged 20 yards a game receiving and 34 total YPG in his career. 

Thinking he's going to come in and be this guy that produces even decent numbers is asking a lot, IMO. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.