Elite second half defensive adjustments

Logic

The Bills defense has allowed only seven points in the second half through four games this season.

Let me say that again: The Bills defense, through four games of professional football, has only allowed SEVEN points in the second half.

That is truly incredible.

No one can say "yeah, but who have they played?!" either.

They've gone up against offensive genius Sean McVay, Matthew Stafford and Cooper Kupp. They've gone up against All-World running back Derrick Henry and the reigning AFC 1-seed. They've gone up against Mike McDaniel, Tyreek Hill, and Jaylen Waddle. They've gone up against MVP candidate Lamar Jackson.

Seven points.

Truly incredible job by Leslie Frazier's defense, ESPECIALLY when you consider that they've been missing All-Pros Tre'Davious White and Micah Hyde, Ed Oliver, Jordan Phillips, as well as their current top two corners in Dane Jackson and Christian Benford for long stretches of playing time.

The only thing I can reasonably do at this point is to honor this incredible effort the way my head coach would:

giphy.gif

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 18
  • Agree 12
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 18
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Wish Hyde was going to come back. I can deal with the temporary injuries but the "what if" of how much better would the defense be if completely healthy is scary.

Is there any confirmation on Hyde and zero chance for return for playoffs?

At least Oliver, Phillips, and White will be back.

1 minute ago, eball said:

I'm just afraid that McD's coaching is going to keep costing the Bills wins.

We need to start allowing more garbage time TDs or simply get blown out here and there. 

I am still struggling to understand how winning often and winning big while rarely losing but losing small when we do is a criticism.  It would be a valid criticism if these close losses were due to big mistakes or 4th quarter meltdowns but many were the opposite.  Like Steelers, Jags, Dolphins when we looked like crap all game and  almost finished the comeback in the final minute.  Or the Bucs game where a huge comeback was ruined by a missed PI in the end zone.  Or going for the win against the Titans rather than leave the game up to a coin toss in OT.   I guess you could cite Hail Murray and 13 seconds as "big mistakes".  Its arguable.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

We need to start allowing more garbage time TDs or simply get blown out here and there. 

I am still struggling to understand how winning often and winning big while rarely losing but losing small when we do is a criticism.  It would be a valid criticism if these close losses were due to big mistakes or 4th quarter meltdowns but many were the opposite.  Like Steelers, Jags, Dolphins when we looked like crap all game and  almost finished the comeback in the final minute.  Or the Bucs game where a huge comeback was ruined by a missed PI in the end zone.  Or going for the win against the Titans rather than leave the game up to a coin toss in OT.   I guess you could cite Hail Murray and 13 seconds as "big mistakes".  Its arguable.  

It’s a silly criticism of a team that won 11 games…for a team with a losing record that doesn’t win a lot of two score games it’s more meaningful 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

It is actually Criminal that Leslie Frazier is still here as a DC (good for us) instead of HC somewhere.

I appreciate Frazier efforts, but being a great coordinator doesn't mean you'll be a good head coach and he was a very bad head coach. Maybe he's learned and his 2nd stint would be better, but that's something different from being a good coordinator. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Malazan said:

I appreciate Frazier efforts, but being a great coordinator doesn't mean you'll be a good head coach and he was a very bad head coach. Maybe he's learned and his 2nd stint would be better, but that's something different from being a good coordinator. 

McDaniels was the Definition of a BAD HC not Frazier and where is he now again?  So Again it is Criminal he hasnt gotten a HC job, heck he hardly gets interviews 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I’m admittedly guilty of screaming at my TV when they give up big yardage plays, but when you step back and really look at the defense’s body of work so far this season, it’s quite amazing.

I nearly lost my mind when Lamar escaped a sack from two Bills rushers and went on to pick up a 3rd and forever.  Everything that could go wrong went wrong in the first half and that trend totally reversed in the second half. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I nearly lost my mind when Lamar escaped a sack from two Bills rushers and went on to pick up a 3rd and forever.  Everything that could go wrong went wrong in the first half and that trend totally reversed in the second half. 

When it comes to that kind of play, I think to myself "this is how other teams feel when josh makes a crazy escape"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

How many adjustments do you think they have time to make? They barely have enough time to go to the bathroom at halftime 💩

Clearly they are playing much better in the 2nd half of games but I don't know if you can adjust THAT much given the time constraints. They need to play better to start the game because I doubt this 2nd half run will be able to withstand through the entire season. In game adjustments in the 1st half would be nice to see

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.