When would we hear if Tre is coming off IR?

Hebert19

20 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

We do play the Chiefs in two weeks.

I expect that McDermott is focused on winning the larger war, not a single longshot battle in enemy territory.  I can't imagine any scenario where they trot White out in Arrowhead for his first game action.  I'm hoping we start to see him sprinkled in for some reps starting with the Green Bay game and then slowly ramp him up from there.

5 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Re: the 21 days -  that starts when he starts practicing, at which point he'll be taken off PUP but not added to the roster.  After that we have 21 days to add him to the active roster.  Still, my guess is he'll be practicing this week (probably tomorrow is the first practice?) and I am sure we'll hear it right away.

That is incorrect with the rule change.  The time starts NOW.  they are in their 21 day window.

"After the first four weeks of the season, teams have the ability to utilize a 21-day window where a player on the PUP list can practice while still not counting against the 53-man roster. A team has until the end of that window to either activate the player, move them to injured reserve or release them."

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Short or long term IR?

The season ending IR

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That is incorrect with the rule change.  The time starts NOW.  they are in their 21 day window.

"After the first four weeks of the season, teams have the ability to utilize a 21-day window where a player on the PUP list can practice while still not counting against the 53-man roster. A team has until the end of that window to either activate the player, move them to injured reserve or release them."

The season ending IR

It's written a little awkwardly, but read it again - The 21 day window can start anytime after the first 4 weeks of the season, it doesn't automatically start after 4 weeks.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/3454626/2022/07/28/nfl-pup-list-faq/

What are the reserve/PUP list rules?

A player can receive this designation if he’s still on the active/PUP list by the time teams cut training camp rosters down to 80 players, which will be by Aug. 23 this year. A player doesn’t count toward the roster limit once shifted to reserve/PUP. Teams have until rosters are cut down to 53 players, which is Aug. 30 this season, to move a player to reserve/PUP.

The player has to remain on the reserve/PUP list for at least the first four regular season games (Oct. 3 or 4 this season), which is new this season.

Once a player leaves the reserve/PUP list, he has up to 21 days to return to the 53-man roster. He can practice with the team until he’s taken off the list. If the player still isn’t able to play in games after the 21-day span, he’ll stay on the reserve/PUP list for the rest of the season.

• Agree 1

Don’t be surprised if he just shows up over the next two weeks on the practice field as he can by til start practicing today or tomorrow.  It’s aggressive, but possible him playing at the Chiefs.  He’ll never played nor should he won’t be Losers (Steelers).

The very worst is the Packs.  I still hold the notion we see him in the Chiefs game on a pitch count.

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

We do play the Chiefs in two weeks.

Since Hyde went down I have thought they would bring him back before the bye.  I think he gets sprinkled in this week to get him up to speed.  I was onboard for waiting till after the bye but that was before our DBs got ravaged.

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

He can start to practice this week i think?   

When would we need to make a decision for this week or moving forward?

From USA Today 8/30/22

Cornerback Tre'Davious White will start the 2022 NFL season on injury designation. On Tuesday, the Buffalo Bills cut their roster down to 53 players. In doing so, the team also announced that White has been placed on the Reserve/PUP list. White has not practiced at all this offseason due to a knee injury.

Eligible to come off PUP today,  Will need to be activated within 21 days or go on IR.

27 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

So will he be at practice today or tomorrow?

They usually don't practice the day after a game, if they take him off the list he can practice Wednesday (as mentioned by Beck Water below Wednesday is usually the first practice day of the week.)

BTW, Ike Boettger also started the season on PUP, and it sounded like he wouldn't have a chance to come off the list or practice until much later in the season (if at all this year.)

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

https://theathletic.com/3454626/2022/07/28/nfl-pup-list-faq/

What are the reserve/PUP list rules?

A player can receive this designation if he’s still on the active/PUP list by the time teams cut training camp rosters down to 80 players, which will be by Aug. 23 this year. A player doesn’t count toward the roster limit once shifted to reserve/PUP. Teams have until rosters are cut down to 53 players, which is Aug. 30 this season, to move a player to reserve/PUP.

The player has to remain on the reserve/PUP list for at least the first four regular season games (Oct. 3 or 4 this season), which is new this season.

Once a player leaves the reserve/PUP list, he has up to 21 days to return to the 53-man roster. He can practice with the team until he’s taken off the list. If the player still isn’t able to play in games after the 21-day span, he’ll stay on the reserve/PUP list for the rest of the season.

I've tried to post this weeks ago and fans just read right past it.  They don't understand that it's 4 weeks minimum.

They don't understand that a player can be on PUP for 5, 6 or more weeks before activating the 21-day window.

To add to your evidence.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-training-camp-roster-faqs-defining-injured-reserve-pup-list-nfi-and-more

Reserve/PUP list: Teams must decide by the 53-man roster cutdown deadline (Aug. 30 this season) whether to place a player on this list. Players placed on this list at that time must miss at least the team's first four games -- down from six in seasons prior to 2022.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

They have 21 days to make a decision. 

activate, IR or cut 

he can start practicing though today while the Bills can wait on the decision for 3 more weeks. 

I think they have until Saturday to activate him for this week 

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, basically if the Bills don't add him to the active roster within 3 weeks he has to be put on IR.  

Interesting that while the Games missed was cut from 6 weeks to 4 weeks, the time allowed to make a roster decision after those games expired was also cut from 5 weeks to 3 weeks. So in previous seasons, the teams had til week 11 to make a decision on a player, not they only have til week 7.

I believe you guys are combining a few rules.

The Bills can move him to active PUP to allow him to start practicing and that starts the 21 days.

The Bills do not have to activate him yet though - that is their choice.  They can leave him on inactive PUP for the season  as long as they want.

Once they move him to Active Pup - he can practice without taking a roster spot for up to 3 weeks and then they need to either place him on the active roster or IR him.

For example - Tre might be ready to move to active PUP and with the Crowder injury there is an open roster spot if they want him active Roster, but Ike who is also on PUP might not even be looked at until week 11 or 12 and that is fine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

He can start to practice this week i think?   

When would we need to make a decision for this week or moving forward?

I think they need to designate him to return to practice starting Weds, when they practice. 

They then have 21 days to make a decision either to activate him, or put him on season ending IR.

42 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Short or long term IR?

From PUP as I understand it short-term is not an option.

23 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

They usually don't practice the day after a game, if they take him off the list he can practice tomorrow.

Tuesday is a day off for NFL teams who play Sunday.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, mikef272002 said:

We play the Steelers at home next week and they're starting a rookie QB after benching Tribusky. Then we play the Chiefs at Arrowhead.  Our Defense should be able to handle the Steelers offense without Tre.  The question is do you bring him back for the Cheifs? His first start of the year against the Cheifs?  I doubt that, he'll probably be back after the bye and we'll be either 5 and 1 or 4 and 2 going into the bye and getting everyone healthy at that point. 

We don't need Tre against the Cheifs. I think we can rest Josh too. 

But when we play the Chiefs, we need everyone.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The season ending IR

I don’t think that is correct.  The 21 days refers to the point they move him from inactive PUP to Active PUP.

Sal talked about Ike - who is also on PUP and most likely will not be ready until week 12 or so and then the Bills can move him to active PUP and then use their 3 weeks.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think that is correct.  The 21 days refers to the point they move him from inactive PUP to Active PUP.

Sal talked about Ike - who is also on PUP and most likely will not be ready until week 12 or so and then the Bills can move him to active PUP and then use their 3 weeks.

Well it is confusing how I see the writeups.

I think what I have figured out is they have 21 days to make a move the minute he start practicing.  I will just go with that, so If he practices this week (will still have a roster exemption) they have 21 days to fully clear him or IR him.  So I guess not even going to think about Tre anymore until I see a report he praticed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well it is confusing how I see the writeups.

I think what I have figured out is they have 21 days to make a move the minute he start practicing.  I will just go with that, so If he practices this week (will still have a roster exemption) they have 21 days to fully clear him or IR him.  So I guess not even going to think about Tre anymore until I see a report he praticed.

That is probably the best way to think about it.

Now with all that said - I would not be surprised to see if practicing and the 21 days start for him - especially since we have an open roster spot if that want to see if he is ready for this weekend.

We will know more as they get back into practice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.