Can someone PLEASE explain the holding rules to me like I'm 8?

Pine Barrens Mafia

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

In case nobody else mentioned this yet, the reason this is not a hold is because the pass rusher is attempting a swim move, which sort of naturally puts the OLineman in this position. There's an exception to the holding rule that states it will not be called if:

I remember Geoff Schwartz talking about this a year or two ago and couldn't believe it. So basically, any time you see a play like the screenshot above and it isn't called, it's likely because the ref felt it was caused by the defensive player.

That makes a lot of sense.   Thank you!

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Which team's plan does not include hitting the opposing QB as often as possible?

Every teams is…the ravens went too far with it though is what that sentence was saying.  I’m sure josh/ the bills were lobbying for calls all game so I’m not at all surprised a questionable call went our way.  He was getting hit late/in the head pretty often in that game 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

I think the best indicator of an obvious hold is when the O lineman throws up his hands like he didnt touch the guy.  Like a soccer defender putting his arms up for a guy who dives in the 18 yard box. Thats when the Refs should automatically throw the flag!!

That was the best part of that hold.  Like why don't you make it a little more obvious you're guilty. lol

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure. 

holding can be called on every NFL play. Is that the type Of football you want to watch?  

These guys are professionals. They should know how to block without grabbing a guy. If they do, should be flagged. Same with secondary. Im not a fan of the if they do it all game eventually the flags stop flying. Ruins the game. Use proper technique or get flagged.

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure. 

holding can be called on every NFL play. Is that the type Of football you want to watch?  

Right. It's very frustrating to have to look for a yellow flag after every great play. I have suggested for years a partial solution for at least some of the OL holding penalties.

It should be mandatory that every Guard and Tackle wear a modified mitten , something less bulky but similar to a boxing glove. I realize that OL would still be able to arm bar and essentially tackle a pass rusher, but I think that it would reduce the flags which we all find annoying.

2 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

So why are we defending the zebras then if it was a horribly called game?

Who benefited the most shouldn't matter.

The best part of it is how the blocker put his hands up after like he didn't do anything after blatantly holding him for several yards as Jackson blew by him.

who's "we"

I'm not defending bad ref'ing, but it's really no different than usual, so why do we need new threads every Monday to point this out?

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Every teams is…the ravens went too far with it though is what that sentence was saying.  I’m sure josh/ the bills were lobbying for calls all game so I’m not at all surprised a questionable call went our way.  He was getting hit late/in the head pretty often in that game 

Come on---he was often hit in the head?

Josh should lobby for a better O-line than these bums.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

who's "we"

I'm not defending bad ref'ing, but it's really no different than usual, so why do we need new threads every Monday to point this out?

We don't need new threads about it every Monday, but since it does exist, people are going to comment on it and how it was extra special terrible this week.  So many missed calls all around, this game should be a candidate for disciplinary action by the league.  I expect better from NFL-level zebras.  If they can't hack it get 'em outta here.  I'm sure there's plenty of collegiate refs that would love a shot at it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

We don't need new threads about it every Monday, but since it does exist, people are going to comment on it and how it was extra special terrible this week.  So many missed calls all around, this game should be a candidate for disciplinary action by the league.  I expect better from NFL-level zebras.  If they can't hack it get 'em outta here.  I'm sure there's plenty of collegiate refs that would love a shot at it.

These words have been typed a thousand times.  Breaking news.  There ought to be a thread on this....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.