Can someone PLEASE explain the holding rules to me like I'm 8?

Pine Barrens Mafia

49 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Boger and his crew are one of the worst in the game. Just completely inconsistent every game they crew. Should’ve been fired years ago.

I didn't realize Boger was 67 years old.

We are long since past the time when we should have guys eligible for Social Security refereeing NFL games.  Let them do high school games.

26 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep the Refs are Human and looking at alot.  There are missed plays all the time.  

I will never understand the NFLs reluctance to allow technology to take some of these things officials have to watch and control off their plates.

Actually it was Very Easy.  the minute the play happened even Poyer looked for the flag.  So Yeah 

That wasn’t pass interference, it was them getting there at the same time and Poyer had position. All players look around for flags now with how flag happy they are. 

2 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

That wasn’t pass interference, it was them getting there at the same time and Poyer had position. All players look around for flags now with how flag happy they are. 

Except it was CLEAR on replay Poyer was there massively early.  But he bad calls go both ways all the time that is the nature of the NFL.  I guess it is the nature of some fans to complain about the ones that didnt go their way and try an excuse the missed calls that did go their way.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Nah. Poyer was guilty. But they let a Raven get away with the same play earlier in the game that ended a Bills drive. So it was fair not to call Poyer either. The refs were consistent about this being a non-call for both teams, at least for this game. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BFLO said:

Nah. Poyer was guilty. But they let a Raven get away with the same play earlier in the game that ended a Bills drive. So it was fair not to call Poyer either. The refs were consistent about this being a non-call for both teams, at least for this game. 

And this is the Key.  Are the Refs Consistent in HOW they are calling the game?  If the answer is YES then the game was called fairly and should not cry about the Refs.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

How about the roughing the Passer call on Josh Allen late in the game?

That's about as ticky tack as it gets, though josh sold it well. 

We're still on this?

How is it so hard to believe the refs threw the flag on a defender that literally hesitated to make the hit, then after ball was thrown, decides to engage anyway and hit the QB high up in the upper chest, close to the chin?

Are you kidding me right now?

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure. 

holding can be called on every NFL play. Is that the type Of football you want to watch?  

So what you are saying is Holding is the only way to "block" NFL linemen?  Why not define holding effectively and call it on every play until it stops... Same with PI calls. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

And this is the Key.  Are the Refs Consistent in HOW they are calling the game?  If the answer is YES then the game was called fairly and should not cry about the Refs.

The only thing consistent about the refs in this game is they were consistently bad.

Just now, fan_in_tx said:

So what you are saying is Holding is the only way to "block" NFL linemen?  Why not define holding effectively and call it on every play until it stops... Same with PI calls. 

What I am saying is 5 players hold on EVERY PLAY (by how the rule is written).  So what do you want?  I got an idea and say ok the refs are applying how they are going to enforce the hold equally to both teams.  Then move on.

There were missed calls on both teams, but the rules were applied consistently amongst both teams, what is there to complain about.

Besides maybe putting MORE refs on the field?  Adding technology to take some off the Refs plate?

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

That was bad officiating.  Which seems to go on in about half the games.  Almost makes it laughable for a 100 billion dollar industry.  Which makes me think they like it this way with their dumb refs. 

I think what we are starting to learn is that the game has become so fast and so athletic that it has become very hard to get every call right as it happens live in front of you.  The fact they get so many right that are very close is pretty amazing to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

The only thing consistent about the refs in this game is they were consistently bad.

For both teams.  Meaning then a level playing field.  Yep give me that because then my better team SHOULD win if there is a level playing field.

It is not black and white.

Holding happens on most plays but is generally only called when it directly affects the play if it is seen.  It is often not seen and you have to just accept the NFL does not want to call it all the time as it ruins the product.   While you have a nice screenshot of what looks like a hold by the Ravens you can probably find many that were not called against the Bills.  Some people think everything favors the Bills opponents, I am not one of them.  Yesterday penalties were 4 (Bills) to 9(Ravens).  I believe the Ravens DB's played very aggressively vs the Bills receivers (strategically) and got away with it most of the first half, they finally called it a couple times before the half was over.  All teams/players stretch the limits to find where the officially will make the call.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

I think what we are starting to learn is that the game has become so fast and so athletic that it has become very hard to get every call right as it happens live in front of you.  The fact they get so many right that are very close is pretty amazing to me.

Completely agree, specially with the fact the league just puts more and more on these guys instead of using technology to take some off them.  Like for example WHY does the back judge STILL have to look at the play clock.  A simple little Buzzer makes it easy.  Why are they still using taped chains to see about 10 yards.  so much stuff could be offloaded from these guys and the NFL refuses to do it 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

What I am saying is 5 players hold on EVERY PLAY (by how the rule is written).  So what do you want?  I got an idea and say ok the refs are applying how they are going to enforce the hold equally to both teams.  Then move on.

There were missed calls on both teams, but the rules were applied consistently amongst both teams, what is there to complain about.

Besides maybe putting MORE refs on the field?  Adding technology to take some off the Refs plate?

If my only job was to call things like this and I'm missing calls this obvious, I would get fired.  These were obvious holds that everyone on TV were watching in real time with refs right there and no call.  They can penalize referee squads and the amount of bad calls in this game seriously warrants such action.

FeF9mmoX0AM2bo4.jpeg

1 hour ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

My guess is the ref was looking at a different part of the line when that’s happening.   I mean you just sometimes miss stuff.   They are human after all.

The vast majority of people cannot comprehend this.  And if you called everything the game would suck or be forced to change in other ways.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.