Can someone PLEASE explain the holding rules to me like I'm 8?

Pine Barrens Mafia

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Where is the complaining about the Missed PI on Poyer? That ended the Ravens Drive

And Brandon Stephens' missed pass interference against McKenzie prevented a first down at the 11 yard line and forced Buffalo to settle for a FG.

And so it goes, on and on...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Where is the complaining about the Missed PI on Poyer? That ended the Ravens Drive

Because that is a bang-bang play, not easy to see at full speed.

Holding is quite easy to see in comparison.

This hold literally continued for several seconds.

FeF9mmoX0AM2bo4.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The general approach is to watch the body of the player being held and how they're impacted by it.

Its clear that there is a clutch and grab element to most blocks nowadays, usually shoulder pads/jersey being where the offender holds.

That usually gets ignored unless it results in turning, twisting or slowing down a player significantly.  

It seemed to me that The Ravens strategy on the offensive line yesterday was to hold everyone until they start flagging it, which took the refs almost a quarter to do.

29 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

That one I accept much more than the one earlier in game where our DB was literally being grabbed from behind. Plays like above should probably be called but sometimes it is hard to see in the speed of game.

I saw it. It was sooooo obvious. Yeah sometimes in a mass of men it’s hard to see but geez it was impossible not to see

Check with Jerry Hughes on his opinion. Dude was held pretty much every play and hardly ever got a call.

Offensive holding these days seems to be based on 2 things:

1. Which officiating crew is calling the game. Some are more flag heavy than others 

2. It’s become fairly obvious that officials have been told to only call holding when it is directly impacting a play, meaning the hold is near the runner or quarterback which allows him to make a big play or gain.

Now of course #2 is very subjective and that’s where #1 matters.

I thought the hold on Dane Jackson was egregious enough to have been called. It allowed Jackson to roll out of the pocket and make a big play to wide open WR. I don’t recall the result of the other screen shot above. 

As fans we always see the missed calls against our team and overlook the non-calls that go in our favor. As long as it’s called the same way for both teams, I don’t have a huge problem with it and it’s when you see inconsistency by the crew which favors one team over the other that it becomes a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

And Brandon Stephens' missed pass interference against McKenzie prevented a first down at the 11 yard line and forced Buffalo to settle for a FG.

And so it goes, on and on...

Yep the Refs are Human and looking at alot.  There are missed plays all the time.  

I will never understand the NFLs reluctance to allow technology to take some of these things officials have to watch and control off their plates.

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

FeF9mmoX0AM2bo4.jpeg

Actually it was Very Easy.  the minute the play happened even Poyer looked for the flag.  So Yeah 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

How about the roughing the Passer call on Josh Allen late in the game?

That's about as ticky tack as it gets, though josh sold it well. 

The DB stopped running and then charged again to hit Allen, it might not have been called had he not stopped yet think because he did is why it was. 

Holding seems to almost have to be egregious now to get a call and sometimes not even then.  

There is a saying that holding can be called on virtually every play, and that isn't far from the truth.

So here is what should constitute holding according to the NFL rule book:

[An offensive blocker] Use[s] his hands or arms to materially restrict an opponent or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit. It is a foul regardless of whether the blocker’s hands are inside or outside the frame of the defender’s body. Material restrictions include but are not limited to:

1. grabbing or tackling an opponent;

2. hooking, jerking, twisting, or turning him; or

3. pulling him to the ground.

And here are the exceptions to the above that the offense can legally do:

When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive Holding will not be called:

1. if the runner is being tackled simultaneously by another defensive player;

2. if the runner simultaneously goes out of bounds;

3. if a Fair Catch is made simultaneously;

4. if the action clearly occurs after a forward pass has been thrown to a receiver beyond the line of scrimmage;

5. if the action occurs away from the point of attack and not within close line play;

6. if a free kick results in a touchback;

7. if a scrimmage kick simultaneously becomes a touchback;

8. if the action is part of a double-team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either blocker, or is taken to the ground; or

9. if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position that would normally be holding.

Exception: Holding will be called if the defender’s feet are taken away from him by the blocker’s action.

So I actually just learned something... hear on the broadcasts all the time that it's a hold because the hands went outside the frame of the body...well according to the actual rules, that doesn't matter...so grabbing a defender inside their frame is STILL a penalty, although it will never get called.

7 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

and if it was the other way around, that play would be b**** about in this thread. 

17 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Holding my breath for the OP to start another thread asking to explain "roughing the passer like he's 8"....

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It wasn't a hard hit; however, the defensive player pulled up, had his head up, and saw that Allen had already thrown the pass, and then continued on to hit Allen. It was the hesitation and then the contact after the ball had been released. It is going to be called almost every time.

Right? Why is this so hard for some to grasp. It’s a penalty all day 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Holding my breath for the OP to start another thread asking to explain "roughing the passer like he's 8"....

I'm smart enough to understand that it was a make-up call. My point here is, again, MAKE THE RIGHT DAMNED CALLS THE FIRST TIME, don't rely on make-up calls to balance the scales.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I mean, really?

holding.gif

That one wasn't called because he let him go "just in time". I agree with the poster who said there is holding on every play, they usually only call the obvious ones that maintain the hold instead of releasing.  That being said, stop posting on this site while you are in class and put your phone away.  Oh, and make sure you eat your carrots at lunch today...

(ps, OP, I did not mean that as an insult, I was just joking cause you said to explain it like you were 8)

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes that is the response because you know what those plays happen EVERY FREAKING snap.  and every freaking week there are post crying about the refs missed calls on every board, swing on over to the ravens board and read what they thing of the Refs.

The picture can be misleading for sure, but edge rushers being held that obviously is usually called. The interior linemen tend to get away with it more often because obviously their are more obstructions. While I agree holding happens every downtown to a degree, not on an edge rushers moments away from creating chaos for the quaterback.

38 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I truly believe the garbage OPI call a few plays later was a makeup call for this one, but I would prefer they just call this.

Even then it wasnt even much of a make up call... because a hold ton that play potentially puts them out of FG range

13 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

FeF9mmoX0AM2bo4.jpeg

This was the one that I lost my sh&# on....I understand calls are missed, but this one was isolated and a blatant hold for a couple of seconds.  Some calls went our way too but to miss this one was ridiculous

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That one wasn't called because he let him go "just in time". I agree with the poster who said there is holding on every play, they usually only call the obvious ones that maintain the hold instead of releasing.  That being said, stop posting on this site while you are in class and put your phone away.  Oh, and make sure you eat your carrots at lunch today...

He held him for a looong time haha I think overall in the game they missed an equal number of holds for both teams but this one just had to be called imo 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The only replays I saw were from behind.  I'd like to see a replay from another angle.  But Josh did a great job of snapping his neck back which sold it.  He either faked it really well or we need to see another angle to see if he was actually hit in the head or not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.