Can someone PLEASE explain the holding rules to me like I'm 8?

Pine Barrens Mafia

1 minute ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

My guess is the ref was looking at a different part of the line when that’s happening.   I mean you just sometimes miss stuff.   They are human after all.   I mean it looks fast on TV imagine what that’s like live and up close!   They do get the call right a heck of a lot of times.   It’s unfortunate when a call does feel as if it changes the momentum of the play though.  

Go Bills!

But this is a literal case of "you had ONE job".  If casual fans can spot these blatantly egregious holds, it should be a piece of cake for the "professionals" to see it as well.  There should be a supplement official who watches the game and buzzes in when there's an obvious "comon how could you miss that" penalty.

2 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Most of those plays there are two officials in the backfield. They just ignored the holds... all game long. 

Have no issue with that as long as it was even for both teams and I felt it was that way most of the game.  

Actually if anything it felt as though Bills benefited more than the Ravens did yesterday.  

• Disagree 1

For sure holding can be called on every play.  I get “let them play”.  What I don’t like is when it can change the game. Several times yesterday our guys were blatantly held and no call.  The one hold led them to a TD a few plays later.  

Be consistent.  Call them on both teams the same way, don’t give teams an advantage through officiating.

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

But this is a literal case of "you had ONE job".  If casual fans can spot these blatantly egregious holds, it should be a piece of cake for the "professionals" to see it as well.  There should be a supplement official who watches the game and buzzes in when there's an obvious "comon how could you miss that" penalty.

I hear you but man that would slow things down so much.   There are too many commercials I have to mute as it is!

haha

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Again shall i go screen shot the take downs from Dawkins and others and complain about them not being called? 

Actually you should do that, it could help folk have a better overall perspective on the issue, jmo. 

I can actually accept some of the holds you see where the guy is on the SIDE, they're quick and just part of every play. But we had at least two where their guy was BEHIND our guy dragging on our jersey. Used to be, you even see that and a jersey is getting stretched, that flag is coming out.

Perusing the Ravens forums, they think they got screwed by the refs too, sooooooooooooo.....compromise? LOL. Some of them are HOT about Lamar not getting that first going out of bounds.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

I hear you but man that would slow things down so much.   There are too many commercials I have to mute as it is!

haha

Then so be it, let it slow things down.  The players will adjust faster than you think.  It's like objecting to baseball players being busted for steroids because you like seeing home runs.  It's not the point.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, billrooter said:

Wow really that is for response to a photo like that?? That is as blatant as it gets, at least judging by that photo.

Yes that is the response because you know what those plays happen EVERY FREAKING snap.  and every freaking week there are post crying about the refs missed calls on every board, swing on over to the ravens board and read what they thing of the Refs.

3 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

How about the roughing the Passer call on Josh Allen late in the game?

That's about as ticky tack as it gets, though josh sold it well. 

I'd rather they make proper calls rather than balancing the scales with bad ones.

• Like (+1) 1

It wasn't a hard hit; however, the defensive player pulled up, had his head up, and saw that Allen had already thrown the pass, and then continued on to hit Allen. It was the hesitation and then the contact after the ball had been released. It is going to be called almost every time.

• Like (+1) 4

You mean the one where he stutter stepped, then still went through with the tackle making NO effort to let up after the ball had already zipped by his head?  Textbook definition of RTP.

2 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I can actually accept some of the holds you see where the guy is on the SIDE, they're quick and just part of every play. But we had at least two where their guy was BEHIND our guy dragging on our jersey. Used to be, you even see that and a jersey is getting stretched, that flag is coming out.

Perusing the Ravens forums, they think they got screwed by the refs too, sooooooooooooo.....compromise? LOL. Some of them are HOT about Lamar not getting that first going out of bounds.

Ravens fans aren't the most intelligent or rules literate of fanbases.  By simple math, the team that got more penalties are often the team that actually got more favor from the refs.  If the refs are being equally crap to both sides, blowing/missing calls in equal frequency, the dirtier/less disciplined team is going to have more of their fouls missed.  In my opinion, that was clearly the case in this game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.