Are you concerned with the Bills offense?

JohnNord

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

They are 6th in yards per play, 1st in first downs, 2rd in total yards, 5th in points scored, 5th in total  offensive TDs...

All with injuries across the Oline and at receiver

My Answer is no

The injuries are big.  I'd really like to see the Bills either trade for a WR or sign OBJ. Receiver depth is looking shaky, maybe Shakir can be that guy but Crowder has not really impressed me, and McKenzie has been wishy washy.  Davis has been injured so I think he gets a pass for now. 

9 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

They need a steady run game. It doesn’t need to be dynamic, it just needs to move the pile and turn short yardage situations into first downs. 

Get rid of Moss, put the ball in one guys hands, and move the pile. 

I’ll go so far to say, it just needs to be a competent running game.  Teams just have be a little concerned that the Bills can pick up 4-6 yards if they choose to run.  Right now, 2-3 yards seems like a struggle

• Agree 1

Just now, JohnNord said:

I’ll go so far to say, it just needs to be a competent running game.  Teams just have be a little concerned that the Bills can pick up 4-6 yards if they choose to run.  Right now, 2-3 yards seems like a struggle

In order to have a “competent run game,” you have to willing to accept plays for losses. Did you see how many negative plays the Ravens had yesterday? You just remember the positive plays because it hurts seeing your team get run on.

No I’m not concerned. I was pissed off with the sloppy first half like most of us were but Josh and company found a way to kick it into second gear in the 2nd half and won a game that most analysts had us losing. Now offenses that are concerning to just flat out anemic are GB, LV, Denver, NE, Carolina, Cleveland and Pittsburgh 

27 minutes ago, Process said:

Outside of Allen the offense is average at best. 

I do think they'll improve as the season goes on. Hopefully really start rolling after the bye week and through the end of the season.

But isn't every offense in the NFL average at best if you take away their star QB? Look at every team without a star QB, they are all average to below average. The only offenses that are great are those with a great qb.

Take out Mahomes, Jackson, Burrow, Brady, Rodgers, etc. Those offenses wouldn't be much without them at the helm.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

There’s an interesting debate on WGR now where co-host Jeremy White expressed concern for the Bills scoring 17 and 23 points consecutively while really throwing downfield.   He actually compared them to the Steelers LOL.

To explain a little more, White believes that over the past two games, the Bills offense relies too heavily on Josh Allen doing extraordinary things rather than the easy completions we’ve been accustomed to seeing.  

So, what do you think?  Are you concerned about the Bills offense?

I think the answer starts with the OL and running game.  Without the threat of a running game, the Bills offense becomes 1 dimensional making them easier to defend.  Also the Bills have been pretty lousy in short yardage as well which has stalled drives and took points off the board against Miami.   The OL was hit bad by injuries in that game as well, which was another reason for their struggles.  

Also, I think the Davis injury is hurting the team.  He isn’t getting the separation or targets he normally does and when he does, he’s dropping passes.  Better play at WR2 would help the offense.

Finally, I think there’s a degree of play calling which needs to be improved - specially with handling the blitz.  Teams are blitzing a bit more often Dorsey hasn’t been able to find effective blitz beater plays to make teams pay. 

Not worried about it.  No team is going to score 40 points a week like we did in weeks 1 and 2.  That is unrealistic.  

Josh has never been better with a quick release and taking what is there than in these four games.  I don't what Jeremy White is watching.  

Week 3 we played with a makeshift OL, and we were down to our last offensive lineman with no subs.   Tommy Doyle had to play on a torn ACL.   We had key receivers out and the ones that were dressed could not stay in the game long enough to build a good rhythm due to the heat.  Yet we gained 497 yard and 31 first downs.  It was a complete anomaly that it only translated into only 17 points.   

Week 4 we won on the road, in the rain, against a tough team.   23 points despite a few turnovers and crappy conditions leading to too many dropped balls.  

Play calling will always be questioned when the execution is not there.  

The run game is concerning because after Singletary we have nothing.  The OL, especially the interior line, does not get any push and that is a real liability especially in short yardage situations.  

I am concerned about WR2 as well because Davis is not the same the past few weeks.  Maybe we can find a way to rest him and heal him and Shakir can help fill the void?  

Overall the offense is one of the best in the league. 

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

All of the complaints about this offense are the same as they were last year. And, yet, they were almost unstoppable come playoff time last year...and near the top of the NFL in offense this year and have punted a grand total of seven times in 4 games.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The game is won and lost in the trenches, this truism is true because it’s true. 

Without a real ability to run the ball as needed the offense is one dimensional, and indeed is easier to defend, we keep getting this point driven home every post season, and then we watch the other teams play in the super Bowl,  until the run threat is perceived as real, we will struggle more than we need to on offense.

All this said, our receiving corp is a bit banged up at present, imo, Shakir and Hodgins need to be used more on game day at present,  especially with Gabe’s chronic ankle/foot issue, Knox’s issue as well, and Crowder being noticeably unreliable. It’s time to use the personnel we have to fill in the gaps, jmo. 

One hell of a come back win vs the ravens! 

Go Bills!!!

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

No I’m not concerned. I was pissed off with the sloppy first half like most of us were but Josh and company found a way to kick it into second gear in the 2nd half and won a game that most analysts had us losing. Now offenses that are concerning to just flat out anemic are GB, LV, Denver, NE, Carolina, Cleveland and Pittsburgh 

Seattle and Chicago too. Indianapolis looked really bad yesterday too, and that with the best RB in the league. How about Atlanta?

4 minutes ago, Realist said:

But isn't every offense in the NFL average at best if you take away their star QB? Look at every team without a star QB, they are all average to below average. The only offenses that are great are those with a great qb.

Take out Mahomes, Jackson, Burrow, Brady, Rodgers, etc. Those offenses wouldn't be much without them at the helm.

The Bengals and Bucs are stacked on O. What are you talking about. 

1 minute ago, Process said:

The Bengals and Bucs are stacked on O. What are you talking about. 

You think you could swap out Joe Burrow for Brandon Allen (who?) and the Bengals wouldn’t miss a beat? You think Blane Gabbert could lead the Bucs to the Playoffs? That’s what he talking about. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

You think you could swap out Joe Burrow for Brandon Allen (who?) and the Bengals wouldn’t miss a beat? You think Blane Gabbert could lead the Bucs to the Playoffs? That’s what he talking about. 

I didn't say the Bills offense is average at best. Allen makes them one of the best. 

But his supporting cast is not great, it's all him.

Not really....mildly maybe.  I do think the Dolphins and Ravens found a way to limit points by speeding Josh up and forcing quick decisions.  A few bad throws or throwaways.  I expect the Bills to adjust to this.  I also wish they could run the ball a little better with the RB's.   Not sure they try enough.

16 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Can't say it's scheme related either...Giants have the NFL's leading rusher under Daboll.

Edited by Big Turk

My main concern is Dorsey. Not impressing me so far.

Second to that is injuries. If we keep having major injuries to starters (and backups) it will be hard to beat KC in the playoffs. Crowder gets hammered here, but he is solid, veteran depth. We can't keep losing starters every game.

These last 2 games were not optimal for a lot of deeper routes because of the weather. (Excessive heat, rain/wind).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.