With all due respect to Josh Allen, the defense is this team's strength

Inigo Montoya

31 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

ummm neither has Zach moss and his sub 2 YPC but we still continue to plunge him into a pile of bodies and waste a down. 

You mean Zack Moss with the highest YPA of our 3 backs through 4 weeks? 

I agree btw, Moss sucks. But all 3 backs are just hurt by a complete absence of blocking. 

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The sizzle on this team is Josh Allen flinging the ball all over the pitch, but the steak is clearly the defense.  They have shut down every team they've played so far.  

They gave up 20 points in the first half against the red hot Ravens offense and blanked them in the second.  That 20 point total against the Raven's offense is even more impressive when you consider that 10 of those points came directly off turnovers by the offense.  The Ravens scored a TD on a drive that started on the Bills' 4 yard line after the opening drive interception, and the Ravens kicked a field goal on a drive that started on the Bills 36 yard line after Singletary fumbled in the second quarter.

This defense is also a ball hawking defense and has 9 turnovers through the first 4 games, 7 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries.  There are only two teams with more, the Eagles and Ravens have 10 each.

They are also 4th in the NFL with sacks through 4 games with 13.  There are only three teams with more, Bucs 14, Cowboys 15, and the Eagles with 16.

The Bills defense is second in points allowed per game at 14.5.  Only the 49ers are ahead of us averaging 12.3 per game.  The 49ers still have to play their week 4 game tonight against the Rams.

The Bills defense is second in yards allowed per game at 234.  Only the 49ers are better at 227 yards and as noted above, they still have their week 4 tilt against the Rams to play.

When you factor in the amount of injuries on the defensive side of the ball for the Bills these performances are even more impressive.  We are getting close to having Tre White and Ed Oliver back on the field and that should only kick things up a notch.  When Josh Allen and the Bills offense is clicking they are amazing to watch, but the defense is the strength of this team.   I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the 2022 Bills defense has the potential to be one of the all time great NFL defenses.

As I read this you make very good points. But when I really think about it, it comes down to this for me: 

Without the defense being amazing, this team could still compete. We make the playoffs and are in the mix every year.

Without Josh, this team goes nowhere. Full stop.

And that's why I have to disagree with you, even though all your points are valid and the defense is amazing. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I agree with you that Allen is the cornerstone of this franchise, but this is the kind of defense the Ravens won a Super Bowl with, and their quarterback was Trent Dilfer.  The combination of Allen and this defense is scary.

Settle down Inigo.  Our defense is playing very well.  But the 2000 Ravens defense was at a whole nother level to almost any defense ever.  (almost there w the 1985 Bears)  The game is very different today.  The way the rules are between not contacting receivers and not being able to severely hurt the QB on the pass rush, defense will never be that way again.  Teams play to stop the big play, and try and get timely turnovers.  The Bills are doing great at that.  (shout out to Jordan Poyer)

As for Josh Allen, he is a top 5 player in the NFL on any given week.  He is our best player.  Everything goes through him.  We have next to no running game without him.  (Could you see the difference between the Raven's RB's-Dobbins and Hill and our guys?)  He made every play he had to to win yesterday.  Allen was better then Lamar.  That was the difference. Teams are not winning Super Bowls 13-10.  Time to get out of the time capsule my friend..   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.