With all due respect to Josh Allen, the defense is this team's strength

Inigo Montoya

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Oh Jeremy, oh Jeremy.

Both Miami and Ravens went to a Cover 2 shell to absolutely limit the deep shots. It's the same defense we play against Mahomes. Those are 2 teams that like to play a lot of Man coverage. 

The only thing about the offense that concerned me is the Ravens Dline almost knew the Bills were trying to run quick hitters and tipped a lot of balls, one was picked, could have been two more.

Buffalo still has to try and throw deep. My only criticism of yesterday. 

Other than that, hell of a game against a great team on both sides of the ball. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

The defense is about the best compliment you can get tho to an amazing QB...even if the offense has an off start to the game like they did against the Ravens, the D is going to hold you in it until you can right the ship...it wasn't going to turn into the 47-3 game that Allen played there in his first game.

Agree. This is not the same defense as last year. And when both are playing well, this team is almost impossible to beat.

25 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Sounds like the OP listening to WGR this morning. 

"I'm concerned about the offense."

-- Jeremy White hot take of the day

Because we're not taking deep shots.  

No.  Be concerned about the RBs and Gabe Davis ankle.  And Knox's foot.  And I guess replacing Crowder.  

Not about the offense - it is an elite offense.  Maybe this is just their way of saying "yea we were wrong about neglecting RB because duh analytics."

Jeremy also argued with Sal saying he wanted Cook to play more.  Ridiculous.  He hasn't earned it.  

In that weather yesterday (it matters) we scored 20 points from the end of the 2nd to the end of the game having the ball less then about 15 minutes.  

We just faced the 3 toughest Defenses we'll see all year - Rams Miami and Ravens (their secondary is good I don't care what the inflated stats from the Miami implosion say).  

The O needs Davis and Knox healthy.

ummm neither has Zach moss and his sub 2 YPC but we still continue to plunge him into a pile of bodies and waste a down. 

2 hours ago, Beast said:

They are playing great. No doubt about it.

However, with saying that, the true test comes in 2 weeks. The Kansas City Chiefs are the Bills major hurdle in getting to where we want them to be and our defense will need to have their game face on that day to come out with a win.

It’s all about Kansas City.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Defense is ranked 2nd in the NFL, Offense is ranked 3rd.   Id say they both are playing really well and its a full team game.   That said, if you take the defense away and Josh Allen is still your QB your record is probably still decent.  If you take Josh Allen away and keep the defense its probably not quite as good.

I agree KC is the must WIN Game!

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

Agree on the assessment of the Defense.  100%.

Candidly - watch JA17 close.  Even with the video game stats he is putting up, "something" appears subtly off.  I count a number of throw's where he is just not setting his feet.  Last week at the goal line to McKenzie and the throw falls short.  Yesterday a couple throws including the lob to Dawson Knox, that actually worked out.  Additionally, even though he rolled out and ran for a touchdown, he appears to be lacking the "quick spark quickness" that we are used to seeing the last few years.

Not being overly critical, just sharing a few observations.

That "lob" to Knox was probably his best throw of the game.  3rd and 2 from their own 28.  That was clutch.  The offense may be a little off right now but I'm not looking at 17.  I'm looking at guys dropping passes and an uneven running game.  He needs more support around him.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I agree with you that Allen is the cornerstone of this franchise, but this is the kind of defense the Ravens won a Super Bowl with, and their quarterback was Trent Dilfer.  The combination of Allen and this defense is scary.

This is a very very fine defense, but no, they aren't the kind of defense the Ravens had the Trent Dilfer year.

Opposing teams scored 18 TDs that year against the Ravens. 18 TDs in 16 games, and two of those were pick sixes. That's an average of one offensive TD scored by Ravens opponents per game. The Bills have allowed seven TDs in four games, all scored by the opposing offenses.

The 2000 Ravens defense allowed 10.3 PPG, the best in the history of 16 game seasons. The Bills 14.5 PPG is still damn good, but doesn't compare.

Those Ravens put up an insane record of 23 INTs and 26 fumbles recovered by the defense. That's 49 turnovers in 16 games, 3.1 per game.

Way way way too early to assume the Bills D should be mentioned in the same breath as those guys.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

The only thing about the offense that concerned me is the Ravens Dline almost knew the Bills were trying to run quick hitters and tipped a lot of balls, one was picked, could have been two more.

Yea, the tip balls to me are on the OL. Got to engage the pash rusher who's given up on the rush, can't just allow him to jump.

And yea they have to do have to still throw deep. No doubt about that. They just need to pick when to do it.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The sizzle on this team is Josh Allen flinging the ball all over the pitch, but the steak is clearly the defense.  They have shut down every team they've played so far.  

They gave up 20 points in the first half against the red hot Ravens offense and blanked them in the second.  That 20 point total against the Raven's offense is even more impressive when you consider that 10 of those points came directly off turnovers by the offense.  The Ravens scored a TD on a drive that started on the Bills' 4 yard line after the opening drive interception, and the Ravens kicked a field goal on a drive that started on the Bills 36 yard line after Singletary fumbled in the second quarter.

This defense is also a ball hawking defense and has 9 turnovers through the first 4 games, 7 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries.  There are only two teams with more, the Eagles and Ravens have 10 each.

They are also 4th in the NFL with sacks through 4 games with 13.  There are only three teams with more, Bucs 14, Cowboys 15, and the Eagles with 16.

The Bills defense is second in points allowed per game at 14.5.  Only the 49ers are ahead of us averaging 12.3 per game.  The 49ers still have to play their week 4 game tonight against the Rams.

The Bills defense is second in yards allowed per game at 234.  Only the 49ers are better at 227 yards and as noted above, they still have their week 4 tilt against the Rams to play.

When you factor in the amount of injuries on the defensive side of the ball for the Bills these performances are even more impressive.  We are getting close to having Tre White and Ed Oliver back on the field and that should only kick things up a notch.  When Josh Allen and the Bills offense is clicking they are amazing to watch, but the defense is the strength of this team.   I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the 2022 Bills defense has the potential to be one of the all time great NFL defenses.

I won't argue that the defense isn't a strength, but Josh Allen is by far carrying this team on his back, and I'll also say so is Stephon Diggs.  I can't rave about a defense that still has very little pass rush, so I can't agree with you here.

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I was wondering with the Bills offense didn't take many shots down field. Seemed like most of the passes were short to intetmediate ones. 

8 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

ummm neither has Zach moss and his sub 2 YPC but we still continue to plunge him into a pile of bodies and waste a down. 

Um, Zach Moss' "sub 2 YPC" is 5.3.

Is 5.3 less than 2 these days?

Edited by Thurman#1

I like the OP’s take here. While josh might be the best player in the league I don’t get the disrespect the rest of the team and coaching gets on here.  Especially the D. Josh does not carry the D as the narrative goes, which is an absolute monster and just as important to how we are winning?  To suggest the D got smoked in the first half is silly and short sighted.  As silly as the argument Josh lost the Miami game by missing an open guy for the last play.  And while this team is winning the idea they are winning despite the coaching is the type of immature argument you watch on ESPN.  

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

This is a very very fine defense, but no, they aren't the kind of defense the Ravens had the Trent Dilfer year.

Opposing teams scored 18 TDs that year against the Ravens. 18 TDs in 16 games, and two of those were pick sixes. That's an average of one offensive TD scored by Ravens opponents per game. The Bills have allowed seven TDs in four games, all scored by the opposing offenses.

The 2000 Ravens defense allowed 10.3 PPG, the best in the history of 16 game seasons. The Bills 14.5 PPG is still damn good, but doesn't compare.

Those Ravens put up an insane record of 23 INTs and 26 fumbles recovered by the defense. That's 49 turnovers in 16 games, 3.1 per game.

Way way way too early to assume the Bills D should be mentioned in the same breath as those guys.

All fair points Thurman.

That Ravens' defense was the best defense I have ever seen play (I'm in my early 50's).   I think the game has changed over the last 22 years.  The quarterback can't be touched today.  Neither can the wide receivers.  No defense will ever put up numbers like that again with the way the game is played now-a-days.  It's hard to compare teams across different eras.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Agree. This is not the same defense as last year. And when both are playing well, this team is almost impossible to beat.

I see the Bills as more balanced than last year. The defense is much better up front. O think the secondary gets better as the season progresses and gets healthier. Dang just with Hyde was back there. 

On offense, we see the lack of run game and oline protection rearing its ugly head again. Seems a lot like last year. So much is on Allen's shoulders again. Also, I feel like the Bills pass receivers aren't as dynamic as last year. Davis hurt and hobbled has been a non factor. The Bills need him to get healthy. Ditto for Knox too. I don't see a WR on the team that can stretch the defense aka the home run threat. The only serviceable running back is Singletary. The Bills always have a great chance to win with Allen under center. Long season to get things figured out and get healthy. The Bills are 3-1 and I think most Bills fans are happy with that. The Bills are clearly one of the teams to beat. 

22 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Agree. I know the point is moot but I wonder how damn good would this defense be completely healthy. With Hyde, Tre, Oliver, Phillips, etc...all on the field together. Gives me chills just thinking about it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.