With all due respect to Josh Allen, the defense is this team's strength

Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The sizzle on this team is Josh Allen flinging the ball all over the pitch, but the steak is clearly the defense.  They have shut down every team they've played so far.  

They gave up 20 points in the first half against the red hot Ravens offense and blanked them in the second.  That 20 point total against the Raven's offense is even more impressive when you consider that 10 of those points came directly off turnovers by the offense.  The Ravens scored a TD on a drive that started on the Bills' 4 yard line after the opening drive interception, and the Ravens kicked a field goal on a drive that started on the Bills 36 yard line after Singletary fumbled in the second quarter.

This defense is also a ball hawking defense and has 9 turnovers through the first 4 games, 7 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries.  There are only two teams with more, the Eagles and Ravens have 10 each.

They are also 4th in the NFL with sacks through 4 games with 13.  There are only three teams with more, Bucs 14, Cowboys 15, and the Eagles with 16.

The Bills defense is second in points allowed per game at 14.5.  Only the 49ers are ahead of us averaging 12.3 per game.  The 49ers still have to play their week 4 game tonight against the Rams.

The Bills defense is second in yards allowed per game at 234.  Only the 49ers are better at 227 yards and as noted above, they still have their week 4 tilt against the Rams to play.

When you factor in the amount of injuries on the defensive side of the ball for the Bills these performances are even more impressive.  We are getting close to having Tre White and Ed Oliver back on the field and that should only kick things up a notch.  When Josh Allen and the Bills offense is clicking they are amazing to watch, but the defense is the strength of this team.   I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the 2022 Bills defense has the potential to be one of the all time great NFL defenses.

Go look for the 6 fingered man and stop with this nonsense

• Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

The defense is playing really well.  Can't wait to see Jordan Phillips and Ed Oliver back along with Tre.  The defense kept the game within reach yesterday allowing the offense to get on track.  Josh is a beast no doubt but I also love watching these guys play D.

Inn some ways, the loss of Phillips may be bigger than the loss of Oliver. Phillips brings an energy that is simply a plus.  Oliver is probably blessed with better physical tools.  If healthy, this defense will simply improve over what is already a very high standard.

• Like (+1) 2

We've had great defenses before, but never had a QB to score enough points. Sorry, but the guy who handles the ball on every single snap is by far the most important.

Happy to have a good defense, though.

Agree on the assessment of the Defense.  100%.

Candidly - watch JA17 close.  Even with the video game stats he is putting up, "something" appears subtly off.  I count a number of throw's where he is just not setting his feet.  Last week at the goal line to McKenzie and the throw falls short.  Yesterday a couple throws including the lob to Dawson Knox, that actually worked out.  Additionally, even though he rolled out and ran for a touchdown, he appears to be lacking the "quick spark quickness" that we are used to seeing the last few years.

Not being overly critical, just sharing a few observations.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Ok then Keemun is starting the rest of the year. How do you feel now dumb ass?

1.  Thanks for calling me a dumb ass.  Strong work.

2.  I think this team would struggle with Keenum.  I do think you could put about 20 other starting NFL QBs together with this defense and the team would be a contender.

• Like (+1) 1

Sounds like the OP listening to WGR this morning. 

"I'm concerned about the offense."

-- Jeremy White hot take of the day

Because we're not taking deep shots.  

No.  Be concerned about the RBs and Gabe Davis ankle.  And Knox's foot.  And I guess replacing Crowder.  

Not about the offense - it is an elite offense.  Maybe this is just their way of saying "yea we were wrong about neglecting RB because duh analytics."

Jeremy also argued with Sal saying he wanted Cook to play more.  Ridiculous.  He hasn't earned it.  

In that weather yesterday (it matters) we scored 20 points from the end of the 2nd to the end of the game having the ball less then about 15 minutes.  

We just faced the 3 toughest Defenses we'll see all year - Rams Miami and Ravens (their secondary is good I don't care what the inflated stats from the Miami implosion say).  

The O needs Davis and Knox healthy.

I don't know if they will be an all time great defense. If they are at that level then there is literally no reason why this team shouldn't obliterate their own franchise record for point differential that they set last season. Rarely do you ever get an elite offense to go along with an all time great defense. 

I will say, the linebacker play with this current group that we have had for several years now has never been better. Milano is playing at an all-pro level and Edmunds is playing well. The pass rush is getting there mostly with just a four man rush and the young corners are holding up well. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nice try OP. Allen is the best QB in NFL and the Bills win because of him. Harbaugh played for a TD because he knew a FG was not going to be enough to win. The defense looks very good but they got shredded in the first half. Fortunately they held for FGs otherwise the score could have been much worse. If Allen and the offense doesn't get that TD right before the half it is game over. 

Last year's D was a fraud. This year it looks legit. 

We will know more when White comes back and they play KC. Missing Hyde will hurt all year long but the CB play should get better soon. 

I agree with you that Allen is the cornerstone of this franchise, but this is the kind of defense the Ravens won a Super Bowl with, and their quarterback was Trent Dilfer.  The combination of Allen and this defense is scary.

It was the same defense (minus Von) who could not stop the Chiefs in 13 seconds on two plays.   The defense is great...but it all starts with Josh Allen. Go Bills.

I'd agree that the Defense has been better than Josh so far this year. But Josh is more important for determining the outcome of games. 

If Josh has a good game, we'll win 99.9999999999% of the time, aside from 13 seconds. 

Josh can lose games for us even if the defense plays well. See Miami, Jax, Wind game, Pittsburgh etc. 

Most of are losses are when Josh has an off day. 

16 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No.  Be concerned about the RBs and Gabe Davis ankle.  And Knox's foot.  And I guess replacing Crowder.  

Not about the offense - it is an elite offense.  Maybe this is just their way of saying "yea we were wrong about neglecting RB because duh analytics."

Jeremy also argued with Sal saying he wanted Cook to play more.  Ridiculous.  He hasn't earned it.  

In that weather yesterday (it matters) we scored 20 points from the end of the 2nd to the end of the game having the ball less then about 15 minutes.  

We just faced the 3 toughest Defenses we'll see all year - Rams Miami and Ravens (their secondary is good I don't care what the inflated stats from the Miami implosion say).  

Oh Jeremy, oh Jeremy.

Both Miami and Ravens went to a Cover 2 shell to absolutely limit the deep shots. It's the same defense we play against Mahomes. Those are 2 teams that like to play a lot of Man coverage. 

I'm sure I will too, and I have no problem with that opinion, Josh is incredible.  Through four games of the season the defense is giving up an average of 14.5 points a game.  There aren't too many NFL offenses that can't muster 15 points a week on average.  I'm not taking anything away from Josh, just pointing out how amazing this defense is.

🍻

Nuance is not something this board handles very well.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

As a whole the defense is playing better more consistent football than the offense. 

Right now Allen is the offense. OL is worrisome, running game is inconsistent, and WR position is hit with injuries and some inconsistencies itself. Hopefully the 2nd half of the Ravens game represents some righting of the ship

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Nice try OP. Allen is the best QB in NFL and the Bills win because of him. Harbaugh played for a TD because he knew a FG was not going to be enough to win. The defense looks very good but they got shredded in the first half. Fortunately they held for FGs otherwise the score could have been much worse. If Allen and the offense doesn't get that TD right before the half it is game over. 

Last year's D was a fraud. This year it looks legit. 

We will know more when White comes back and they play KC. Missing Hyde will hurt all year long but the CB play should get better soon. 

The Bills' defense did not get shredded in the first half. Considering the turnovers and other miscues by the offense, and being on the field for 23 out of 30 minutes in that 1st half - I'd say the defense played pretty well.

Baltimore had two long drives the entire game andhad to work for every yard.

The D played very well yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

The defense is the best I have seen with this team in a very long time. However, I have to disagree with you, my friend. Allen is the strength of this team. The fortunes of this team go as Allen goes.

The defense is about the best compliment you can get tho to an amazing QB...even if the offense has an off start to the game like they did against the Ravens, the D is going to hold you in it until you can right the ship...it wasn't going to turn into the 47-3 game that Allen played there in his first game.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Jeremy White is obnoxious and rude on air.  I feel bad for his coworkers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.