With all due respect to Josh Allen, the defense is this team's strength

Inigo Montoya

Just now, TH3 said:

Which all due respect…people wake up in the morning and decide to start a start an argument thread?

I don’t think it’s that. I just believe he is complimenting the defense and deservedly so. Their performance, especially with the adversity they have faced, has been nothing short of incredible.

• Like (+1) 2

We need both, but Josh is clearly the most important player on this team. You honestly think we would have success with Tyrod back there? Sorry, not happening. I'll take a top 3 NFL QB any day of the week. This doesn't downplay what the defense has done, but without Josh we are probably 1-3 or 0-4 right now. 

Josh is a rare talent.

watching teams like the bears yesterday, struggling with the forward pass, really gave me anxiety by reminding me of the drought years. 

a stingy defense is great but not having a quarterback is awful. 

I’m glad the defense has the improved this year and it might be the difference between last year and this year, BUT it means little if Allen isn’t here.

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Defense is ranked 2nd in the NFL, Offense is ranked 3rd.   Id say they both are playing really well and its a full team game.   That said, if you take the defense away and Josh Allen is still your QB your record is probably still decent.  If you take Josh Allen away and keep the defense its probably not quite as good.

The defense is truly impressive. Reminds me of the Bruce Smith-Bryce Paup-Ted Washington era defense. 

• Agree 1

It is both. It is Josh Allen and it is the deepest, most talented defense in the NFL. The problem is that assembling and retaining the deepest, most talented defense in the NFL has come at the expense of offensive investment. Which is why at times the offense feels like just Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs. They have too many sub par players on the OL, their running backs are "meh" in the best case - Singletary; and bad in the worst case - Moss. At tight end their TE2 is a former UDFA who spent the whole of last year on the PS. And now at receiver they are down (admittedly injuries have hurt) to a hobbled Gabe Davis and a 5th round rookie as their supporting cast to Stef. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Which all due respect…people wake up in the morning and decide to start a start an argument thread?

1.  I've been up all night, I work nights.  🙂

2.  I'm just putting an opinion out there.  I expected there would be some people who would disagree.  That's ok.   I'm open to having my mind changed by a good argument.   I appreciate the people here who can disagree with someone without feeling the need to throw stones in the process.  

3.  It took me some time to look up the stats and put my post together.  I didn't just throw an opinion out there with no supporting evidence.  

4.  This is a chat board where we all get together and chat about the Bills.  Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree, but we all love coming here to read everyone's opinion.  That doesn't happen if people don't take the time to start threads. 

🍻

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The defense has played great, but let's not overlook that Baltimore drove 93 yards their last possession.  Great goal line stand.

They had basically two drives all game. The rest was points spotted to them by offensive mistakes. You are not going to keep a team as talented and well coached as Baltimore to zero productive offensive drives. The Bills kept them to two and kept them out of the endzone on one of those two. That is pretty excellent. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s the thing. The offense is centered around a single player…Josh Allen. And the defense is a total team effort. There are no real stand outs on this defense (although Milano is pushing to become one). 

Poyer. He was a deserved 1st team all pro last year and he has played like one this year. In the three games he has played the team has given up ZERO second half points and he himself has FOUR second half INTs. 

I have always said he is in that category just below elite... but man the last season and a quarter he has been consistently elite. Incredible. 

• Agree 1

The offense, for whatever the reasons can be their own worst enemy at times, same goes with the defense, but both are absolutely essential to bring it all home.

Go  Bills!!!

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s the thing. The offense is centered around a single player…Josh Allen. And the defense is a total team effort. There are no real stand outs on this defense (although Milano is pushing to become one). 

Von Miller, Greg Rousseau, Matt Milano, Jordan Poyer….C’mon man!

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.