With all due respect to Josh Allen, the defense is this team's strength

Inigo Montoya

The sizzle on this team is Josh Allen flinging the ball all over the pitch, but the steak is clearly the defense.  They have shut down every team they've played so far.  

They gave up 20 points in the first half against the red hot Ravens offense and blanked them in the second.  That 20 point total against the Raven's offense is even more impressive when you consider that 10 of those points came directly off turnovers by the offense.  The Ravens scored a TD on a drive that started on the Bills' 4 yard line after the opening drive interception, and the Ravens kicked a field goal on a drive that started on the Bills 36 yard line after Singletary fumbled in the second quarter.

This defense is also a ball hawking defense and has 9 turnovers through the first 4 games, 7 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries.  There are only two teams with more, the Eagles and Ravens have 10 each.

They are also 4th in the NFL with sacks through 4 games with 13.  There are only three teams with more, Bucs 14, Cowboys 15, and the Eagles with 16.

The Bills defense is second in points allowed per game at 14.5.  Only the 49ers are ahead of us averaging 12.3 per game.  The 49ers still have to play their week 4 game tonight against the Rams.

The Bills defense is second in yards allowed per game at 234.  Only the 49ers are better at 227 yards and as noted above, they still have their week 4 tilt against the Rams to play.

When you factor in the amount of injuries on the defensive side of the ball for the Bills these performances are even more impressive.  We are getting close to having Tre White and Ed Oliver back on the field and that should only kick things up a notch.  When Josh Allen and the Bills offense is clicking they are amazing to watch, but the defense is the strength of this team.   I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the 2022 Bills defense has the potential to be one of the all time great NFL defenses.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 15
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The defense is the best I have seen with this team in a very long time. However, I have to disagree with you, my friend. Allen is the strength of this team. The fortunes of this team go as Allen goes.

How many freaking years did we wait to get one?  QB most important position on the field and Allen one of the best

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They are playing great. No doubt about it.

However, with saying that, the true test comes in 2 weeks. The Kansas City Chiefs are the Bills major hurdle in getting to where we want them to be and our defense will need to have their game face on that day to come out with a win.

It’s all about Kansas City.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The defense is the best I have seen with this team in a very long time. However, I have to disagree with you, my friend. Allen is the strength of this team. The fortunes of this team go as Allen goes.

I agree with you that Allen is the cornerstone of this franchise, but this is the kind of defense the Ravens won a Super Bowl with, and their quarterback was Trent Dilfer.  The combination of Allen and this defense is scary.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

I agree with you that Allen is the cornerstone of this franchise, but this is the kind of defense the Ravens won a Super Bowl with, and their quarterback was Trent Dilfer.  The combination of Allen and this defense is scary.

What they did with this defense was one my favorite aspects of the off season. They needed to improve against the run and getting consistent pressure with four. When this defense is fully healthy and playing well, and the offense is fully healthy and playing well - they are thebest team in the NFL.

With all due respect — and I said it before the season started — the Bills may have the best defense AND best offense in football.  They’re certainly the best team, even with some key players down.

I was not able to watch the game live yesterday because I had to attend a memorial service…all I knew was they were down 7-0 early.  When we left the service I checked the score and it was 20-20…I listed to the final 4:00 in the car on the way home.  It was the Ravens broadcast and what fun it was to hear their dismay.

Then, last night, I watched the game already knowing the result, so the emotion was removed…and I fast-forwarded between plays so I didn’t hear most of the announcer b.s.  My takeaway?  This team is so good and so deep, and so well coached.  Even in the first half the defense played great.  Lamar is damn good and made some amazing plays.  The turnovers hurt, as did so many drops (Crowder 2, Davis, Diggs, Cook).  The Ravens did an excellent job of getting their hands up and deflecting at least 3 of Josh’s passes.  We got some calls and breaks, and they got some calls and breaks, but at the end of the day Josh Allen proved, again, that HE is the best dual-threat QB in football.

The defense was simply stellar all game.  Loved that they brought the heat on Lamar on that 4th down play…and what else can you say about Poyer.  Baltimore was #2 on offense going in and didn’t get to 300 yards.  This new D line absolutely does make a difference — and we’re playing without Oliver and Phillips!  Milano is balling at an all-world level, and Edmunds is flying around as well.  It’s a joy to watch.  Damar Hamlin looked fast and comfortable out there.

Coaching was excellent throughout.  Two half-ending drives leading to points, and beautiful strategy at the end not to allow Lamar another chance.

A 17-point come-from-behind win on the road like this can propel an already very good team to great heights.  I’m very much looking forward to this run.

Go Bills!

19 and 1, BABY!!!!!

• Like (+1) 7

27 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The sizzle on this team is Josh Allen flinging the ball all over the pitch, but the steak is clearly the defense.  They have shut down every team they've played so far.  

They gave up 20 points in the first half against the red hot Ravens offense and blanked them in the second.  That 20 point total against the Raven's offense is even more impressive when you consider that 10 of those points came directly off turnovers by the offense.  The Ravens scored a TD on a drive that started on the Bills' 4 yard line after the opening drive interception, and the Ravens kicked a field goal on a drive that started on the Bills 36 yard line after Singletary fumbled in the second quarter.

This defense is also a ball hawking defense and has 9 turnovers through the first 4 games, 7 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries.  There are only two teams with more, the Eagles and Ravens have 10 each.

They are also 4th in the NFL with sacks through 4 games with 13.  There are only three teams with more, Bucs 14, Cowboys 15, and the Eagles with 16.

The Bills defense is second in points allowed per game at 14.5.  Only the 49ers are ahead of us averaging 12.3 per game.  The 49ers still have to play their week 4 game tonight against the Rams.

The Bills defense is second in yards allowed per game at 234.  Only the 49ers are better at 227 yards and as noted above, they still have their week 4 tilt against the Rams to play.

When you factor in the amount of injuries on the defensive side of the ball for the Bills these performances are even more impressive.  We are getting close to having Tre White and Ed Oliver back on the field and that should only kick things up a notch.  When Josh Allen and the Bills offense is clicking they are amazing to watch, but the defense is the strength of this team.   I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the 2022 Bills defense has the potential to be one of the all time great NFL defenses.

You’re going to have quite a few “Josh is the reason” replies. I get it, he’s really good, I mean really good. For me it’s the defense too. Imagine if Marino or Kelly had this defense? Or even Fouts? I’m so glad we’re not hanging our hat on Josh only. 
Edit: I forgot Stafford. 

Edited by Dopey

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

You’re going to have quite a few “Josh is the reason” replies. I get it, he’s really good, I mean really good. For me it’s the defense too. Imagine if Marino or Kelly had this defense? Or even Fouts? I’m so glad we’re not hanging our hat on Josh only. 

I'm sure I will too, and I have no problem with that opinion, Josh is incredible.  Through four games of the season the defense is giving up an average of 14.5 points a game.  There aren't too many NFL offenses that can't muster 15 points a week on average.  I'm not taking anything away from Josh, just pointing out how amazing this defense is.

🍻

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I sure I will too, and I have no problem with that opinion, Josh is incredible.  Through four games of the season the defense is giving up an average of 14.5 points a game.  There aren't too many NFL offenses that can't muster 15 points a week on average.  I'm not taking anything away from Josh, just pointing out how amazing this defense is.

🍻

The defense is playing really well.  Can't wait to see Jordan Phillips and Ed Oliver back along with Tre.  The defense kept the game within reach yesterday allowing the offense to get on track.  Josh is a beast no doubt but I also love watching these guys play D.

Defense is ranked 2nd in the NFL, Offense is ranked 3rd.   Id say they both are playing really well and its a full team game.   That said, if you take the defense away and Josh Allen is still your QB your record is probably still decent.  If you take Josh Allen away and keep the defense its probably not quite as good.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.